Am I Stupid If I Don't Take a $7500 Cash Offer For My 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So here's the story, I have a 1975 FJ40 that I bought a couple years ago after much research and a lot of time looking. I've wanted one since I was old enough to drive (I'm 33 years old now) and finally decided to make that dream come true a couple years ago when I finally found one near me that was in my price range and in decent shape. I think I got a hell of a deal only paying $2800 for it and driving it 3 hours home the same day with no problems at all. I also found out I got a little bonus with it when someone pointed out that the factory PTO winch that came with it was a rare and valuable part. The rear sill is rotted out and the quarter panels need replaced, it has typical rust, but the frame, floors, and front end are solid. I have the complete top with rust free doors, all the glass is good, and even have the carpet that snaps to the floors. Still even have the original spare tire and rim that came on it new. The only thing that is not factory original is the wheels. Some PO put these aluminum rims on it. Other than that, it is all stock. Luckily none of the PO's have cut up the dash or wiring, etc.

So, I drove it to work the other day and someone spotted it and asked who owned it. People pointed to me and he asked if I would sell it. My first response was "Hell No!" I threw out a ridiculous number of $10K just so he wouldn't ask again. I don't want to sell it. It took me 10 yrs to find the right one and buy it. His first offer was $7500 cash, and it's wrecking my mind trying to say no. I only paid $2800 for it, but at the same time, how much would I have to pay to find one in similar or better shape????

2012-10-06_17-43-43_742.jpg

People often offer, but once it comes time to commit and hand over the cash price drops. Did he really look it over good enough to know he is willing to actually pay that? Finding another one might be hard, and lately seems like prices have gone way up. Could you take the $7,500 and buy another one you would like as much? Chances of getting another one with a PTO is slim.

I wouldn't part with mine for less than 5 figures and it's not worth that much but, I think I have it in good running order and don't want to start on a new project. From what i read of your post sounds like you should keep it.

Take the cash…

And you'll regret it the rest of your life.

:cheers:

I'd be inclined to agree with those above:

These trucks have really shot up in value over the last couple of years. I think finding another running, driving, and relatively unmolested FJ40 for $7500 will be a pretty daunting task. You may be making a profit on your truck if you sell now, but if you decide you want another one, you will probably end up getting one in similar condition for that $7500 as the one you paid $2800 for a couple years ago.

Unless you're looking to get rid of it, or need the cash for some other venture, I wouldn't sell.

I'd not sell it for that, no way. You think it's worth something now? Wait a few more years - the demand continues and they're not making these any more...

you'll regret it

totally agree with the above posts. in my opinion the only reason to sell would be if you we're moving on all together getting out of cruisers. you won't come out ahead by selling it with plans to buy another one. you've got a good one now. keep it and love it.

geez, you got a he!! of a deal when you bought it, with some rare pieces ... sell it? ... I paid a lot more than that for mine (overpaid) and I've put a lot into it, and I wouldn't sell it ... you know what you have, invest in it ... just my $.02 ...

How long will that $7500 last you? An FJ40 will last you indefinitely.

Money comes and goes, FJ40s are something unique that not everyone has.

Your 40 is a beauty. I love mine even tho it's screaming yellow. (Not fond of the color) but it is still a 40 and I love driving her.

...via IH8MUD app

I find it hard to believe you are even considering selling it. If someone offered me $30K for mine I would tell them to take a hike. It isn't about the money with me. I searched a long time for this truck and it's going to get passed down to someone in the family. Plus the guy is going to turn around and sell it for more.

It makes me feel a lot better that nobody came close to saying "sell it". A lot of sound advice above. Thanks! I don't need the money and I'm not looking to get out of Land Cruisers or anything like that. The only reason I would consider selling it is if I could take that money and buy one that's a little better than my current one, but that doesn't really sound possible. I figured it would take at least $6k to find one in similar shape as mine, and you are all right, the hardest part is FINDING one and I already know mine.

The guy actually wants to buy if for his father. He said his dad loves the FJ40s and had one years ago until it was totaled in an accident. He wanted to surprise him with a new one. Nice gesture, but I don't think I'll let that new one be mine...

I also do love the looks I get from everyone when I'm driving it, especially the jealous Jeep owners! LOL In fact, I better go take it out for a drive now.

I just left a restaurant after having lunch and this lady comes out and says she wants to buy my cruiser. I said thanks but it's not for sale. She continues the conversation and is quite knowledgeable. Asks if it has the stock motor, etc. her husband comes out and says "she probably already told you I want to buy your cruiser". She says "how often do folks want to buy it?" I said at least every time I get gas. Nice folks, at least in their 70's.
I say if you have one keep it, they're not going to get any more available or affordable.

And mine's no trailer queen, just a cruiser.

From your description, I think you might be stupid to take twice that amount. Not sure how bad the rust is, but that driver quarter looks pretty good to me. Is that original paint?

I wouldn't sell it for financial gain; however, I think there are some cases that can be considered. Based on having owned your Cruiser, let's say you realized there is something about it you really want to change, but it can't be done easily. For examples:
1) You've determined it's not feasible to fix your rust issues and it makes more economic sense to "trade-up"
2) You really want a different color
3) You have a stock engine and really want a V8 or vice versa
4) You want to own a different production year range

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom