Am I Stupid? 80 series and FJ for 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Monday will mark a year since I made my decision to go 80 series over a brand new 200 and a TRD Pro 4Runner in Army Green. Why the 200 Heritage wasn't offered in Army Green I have no idea but I'll tell you what, I don't regret my decision at all. Whichever vehicle I chose was going to be a weekend/road trip vehicle, not an everyday driver. I always thought driving something that only enthusiasts could appreciate and that is a rare sight on the road is special and I couldn't do any better out of the three than an 80 Series Land Cruiser. It looks perfect, drives and handles like a glove, but with soul and character. Has everything you need and nothing you don't. People complain about lack of power.. well for me that's perfect, that way my son and I can enjoy the sights of a road trip at a perfect 65-70 mph. Its not always about the destination as much as it is the journey. I see 4Runners EVERYWHERE, I see FJ Cruisers everywhere, and once a week I see a 200, usually in Lexus form. They're all fantastic vehicles, but I know the 80 is special. When I asked myself the question, which of these would I choose if they were all brand new and the same price, the 80 comes first, 200 second, and the 4Runner third. The people that keep them alive are 9 times out of 10 special and know what they have and are dedicated to keeping an old vehicle on the road. It costs a lot of money and is more unique than going to a Toyota dealer and ordering a brand new 4x4. I can count on my hand how many 80 series I've seen in Illinois where I live. The 80 was the last of its kind brand new in 1997, everything else in Toyotas lineup had moved on. That should tell you something right there. Keep the 80. Shes a special kind of woman you only run into once in a lifetime. Get the 200 and drive that everyday and leave the raw rugged 80 for the weekends.

I'd be more inclined towards a 5th gen 4runner if every other car on the road weren't one. Seriously in the Denver/Boulder metro you can't go 50 feet without seeing one. I'm also not sure why the 5th gen gets so much love from the dudebros when it's mechanically identical to the 4th gen (which has better visibility and a lower belt line like a more traditional toyota).

200s are very rare by comparison, so IMO the 200 will still be "special" once all the soccer moms and dentists have traded them in. I see more 80's on the road in my area than 200s

An option that you haven't thought of, or at least haven't mentioned, is a newer 4Runner. A Trail Edition, TRD Offroad, or TRD Pro is very capable for what you are talking about. A 4runner is pretty close to the same size as the 80 series, and IMHO is a pretty good blend of 80 series feel in driving characteristics, and capability. It is definitely not a 200. Another idea could be a GX460. Feels like a narrower 200 to me when I drive them, and they are usually very nicely appointed. All the power you could want, and also pretty capable. I enjoy my 80 series. But (not calling you stupid) I'm not sure you would get to enjoy a 200 series. It is an expensive vehicle, and for some reason we tend to baby vehicles that cost more. And we really can't enjoy them in the same way we enjoy a $450 woods toy (Suzuki Samurai, etc), because we're afraid of scratching it, or getting the engine bay muddy, or sliding into a tree. Yes, the 200 is superior to the FJ and the 80. But I'd still keep them instead of upgrading. Unless it was a newer 4runner. TRD Pro....Cavalry Blue....just sayin'.....

I have a 2016 4Runner SR5 and the 80. Same tire size on both (265/70/R17 vs 265/75/R16, same overall size) and same tire on both (Michelin Defender LTX--LRE). The 4runner has no lockers, just 4WD and A-TRAC. I will admit, I don't do the hardest trails in the world, but everything my 80 has done the 4Runner has had no trouble with. Even trails where the 80 needed the lockers on. A-TRAC is really good. You really don't have to go big bucks on the 4Runner to get a very capable spec.

In my opinion, with newer 4WDs, especially if you are running close to stock, traction control can be an excellent substitute for differential locks.

Being that it's based on the 150 series platform, it should be similar riding and handling to OP's FJC. But with 4 full doors, 5" longer wheelbase, and significantly better visibility, it's an easier platform to live with.

My favorite part about the 4Runner is that you can basically do nothing to it and you have an incredibly capable vehicle out of the box. Dare I say better than a stock 80 (in a lot of cases). Better approach, better departure, slightly shorter wheelbase, and shorter overall height. I have upgraded to E-rated tires, added front recovery points, swapped the stock skid for the TRD skid, and I have White Knuckle sliders on the way. That's it. No lifts, no bigger tires, no bumpers, winch, etc. Just kept it light. If I'm going somewhere that I might need that stuff, then I'll take my obviously better equipped Land Cruiser.

And yes, the 4Runner is nearly the same size as the 80. Same length, same width, same ground clearance, 80 is a few inches taller in height so you get more headroom. 4Runner has more legroom in the front and middle rows. Third rows on both are useless in my opinion. Cargo space is similar. Sunroof robs headroom in the 4Runner so I don't have one. Technology aside, both interiors are very easy to use and nicely laid out for a 4WD.

Then again, being so similar under the hood to the FJC, it might not be much of an upgrade. And the new ones have gotten WAY more expensive than when I bought mine back in the end of 2015. So maybe just keep the FJC as a light off roader, and go all out with the 80?

Kind of rambling again, but I've been in OP's position so I'm just jotting down my thoughts...

An option that you haven't thought of, or at least haven't mentioned, is a newer 4Runner. A Trail Edition, TRD Offroad, or TRD Pro is very capable for what you are talking about. A 4runner is pretty close to the same size as the 80 series, and IMHO is a pretty good blend of 80 series feel in driving characteristics, and capability. It is definitely not a 200. Another idea could be a GX460. Feels like a narrower 200 to me when I drive them, and they are usually very nicely appointed. All the power you could want, and also pretty capable. I enjoy my 80 series. But (not calling you stupid) I'm not sure you would get to enjoy a 200 series. It is an expensive vehicle, and for some reason we tend to baby vehicles that cost more. And we really can't enjoy them in the same way we enjoy a $450 woods toy (Suzuki Samurai, etc), because we're afraid of scratching it, or getting the engine bay muddy, or sliding into a tree. Yes, the 200 is superior to the FJ and the 80. But I'd still keep them instead of upgrading. Unless it was a newer 4runner. TRD Pro....Cavalry Blue....just sayin'.....
GX460 is a good recommend, I have a 2011 and it’s probably the best all around SUV I’ve had so far. Even better, I only have about $40k tied up with stock GX460 and a very built 80 series.

Owned an FJC. Loved the quirkiness of how it looked when new, but personally, I don't think it has aged well. I doesn't look as good anymore and the interior packaging is worse than an 80--at least for me. As mentioned before, I also appreciate A-TRAC. If you can get a late model 200 for the 80 and FJC, I'd say do it, but only to simplify. Otherwise, I'd keep the 80 and offset the cost of a 200 by dealing away the FJC. Sure, FJC's are going up in value, but I think Covid has a lot to do with it. Once the pandemic is over, I think the 80 will retain more value than the FJC if you're concerned about such things.

The FJ Cruiser (or f-gay loser :flipoff2: ) is polarzing...some love it, some think it looks like a fat PT cruiser. Nearly everyone loves the 80 because it is classic looking. It's also better in every single way.

The 200 is an amazing truck but so different in many ways. Since you are looking for opinions - sell the f gay loser, invest part of it in making your 80 a forever vehicle, and bank the rest. You're young, you've still got plenty of time to ruin your life.

I have an 80 and my wife drives our 200. They are both great vehicles but completely different animals. The 80 has soul and style; I plan to keep it forever. The 200 does everything faster, smoother, quieter, and more comfortably but feels replaceable. All the 200 needs is a locker or 2 and they’d be on pretty equal footing. In a crunch 80 stays because I can diagnose and repair problems, 200 goes.
You need to watch more youtube. The 200 on 4wd action blows CV joints on trails that the FJ80 walks up. These vehicles are not similar offroad. The 200 is much heavier, much bigger, and is IFS meaning it will break easier. However, this was not the OP's question, as he say he doesn't 4wd much.

IMHO, I don't see the point of having an FJ Cruiser and an FJ80. Similar usefulness between the vehicles. Sell one, sell both, up to you. Need more power, sell the cruiser and engine swap the 80. 6.2 LS sounds nice.

Life is short, get what you want. If you end up not liking the 200 and miss the 80 or cruiser, then you can sell always sell it and go back. It's not like it's an F150 that will depreciate like a rock.

You need to watch more youtube. The 200 on 4wd action blows CV joints on trails that the FJ80 walks up. These vehicles are not similar offroad. The 200 is much heavier, much bigger, and is IFS meaning it will break easier. However, this was not the OP's question, as he say he doesn't 4wd much.

IMHO, I don't see the point of having an FJ Cruiser and an FJ80. Similar usefulness between the vehicles. Sell one, sell both, up to you. Need more power, sell the cruiser and engine swap the 80. 6.2 LS sounds nice.

Life is short, get what you want. If you end up not liking the 200 and miss the 80 or cruiser, then you can sell always sell it and go back. It's not like it's an F150 that will depreciate like a rock.
In what world do F150s depreciate like a rock lol what.

In what world do F150s depreciate like a rock lol what.
Shows what I know about F150s, I just assumed, but then I looked it up and it's not great:

Light-Duty Pickups: Average Depreciation​

1. Toyota Tacoma, 29.5 percent
  2. Toyota Tundra, 37.1
  3. Honda Ridgeline, 37.2
  4. Nissan Frontier, 37.8
  5. Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 39.7
  6. GMC Sierra 1500, 39.9
  7. Ram 1500, 42.7
  8. Ford F-150, 44.1
  9. Nissan Titan, 44.7
However, my point is that a used 200 won't depreciate much. You can always get your money back if you take care of it.

Shows what I know about F150s, I just assumed, but then I looked it up and it's not great:

Light-Duty Pickups: Average Depreciation​

1. Toyota Tacoma, 29.5 percent
  2. Toyota Tundra, 37.1
  3. Honda Ridgeline, 37.2
  4. Nissan Frontier, 37.8
  5. Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 39.7
  6. GMC Sierra 1500, 39.9
  7. Ram 1500, 42.7
  8. Ford F-150, 44.1
  9. Nissan Titan, 44.7
However, my point is that a used 200 won't depreciate much. You can always get your money back if you take care of it.
Used pick-ups in general are very desirable on the second hand market, I'm not sure where those numbers are from or over what period of time, but I would imagine a 200 (at least currently) is probably not far off. We'll see if that changes though now with the discontinuation.

To be fair, while pickup trucks have good resale value in the US, I have seen first hand how much F150s depreciate in the Middle East and Africa after only 1 year. The US govt used bring them over and then tried to sell them to locals after they didn’t hold up. It was just better to get more Hilux’s and 70-series pickups.

To be fair, while pickup trucks have good resale value in the US, I have seen first hand how much F150s depreciate in the Middle East and Africa after only 1 year. The US govt used bring them over and then tried to sell them to locals after they didn’t hold up. It was just better to get more Hilux’s and 70-series pickups.
What year Fords?

I have never seen a 200 series blow a CV axle. I've seen 100 series blow them. You have a link to the video?

I've been back from a fully built 200 into my 6th 80 now, fully built minus a sc'er and LR tank.... I loved the 200 and it was an amazing DD but I pushed it a bit too far with the build.... 305 / 35's are the sweat spot for a 200 IMHO .... that said the 80's speak to me more and the wife loves the 80 more then she did the 200..... it's just a classic. she had an fj when we met with 260k on it that ran like a top so lot's to be said for their reliabilty but I hated the visiblity out of it ....

the 200 is a huge jump forward in interior and ameneties - and they are built really stoutly.. but if you need cooled seats you need to get a 2013 and newer or a LX...

all good choices to have .....

The so called
I've been back from a fully built 200 into my 6th 80 now, fully built minus a sc'er and LR tank.... I loved the 200 and it was an amazing DD but I pushed it a bit too far with the build.... 305 / 35's are the sweat spot for a 200 IMHO .... that said the 80's speak to me more and the wife loves the 80 more then she did the 200..... it's just a classic. she had an fj when we met with 260k on it that ran like a top so lot's to be said for their reliabilty but I hated the visiblity out of it ....

the 200 is a huge jump forward in interior and ameneties - and they are built really stoutly.. but if you need cooled seats you need to get a 2013 and newer or a LX...

all good choices to have .....
The so called cooled seats are a joke. They just blow smoke up your arse ambient air style. Had them on my 200 and a Lexus RCF. Useless.

I have never seen a 200 series blow a CV axle. I've seen 100 series blow them. You have a link to the video?
Shauno from the same show just broke the knuckle on his HDJ80... These guys run their trucks beyond the max. Not really realistic of what 99% of off-roaders and overlanders do with their vehicles. Really fun to watch though.

They've had 2 200s blow CVs. The first one was running 35s and it was unlocked. Just a really tough trail, front end bouncing up and down. Also the 1VD-FTV is probably a lot heavier than the 3UR-FE so that probably didn't help.

The second one was a new 200 that had a chassis extension and a pickup conversion. Basically a Tundra. 35s, 1VD-FTV, hard uphill, and front locker was on. CV went bang.

So yeah they do blow CVs, but I feel like my 80 could too in that situation.

With all that said, this is pretty much just my opinion. I've had lifted trucks with big tires before but I've never maxed them out or even gotten close to the point of breaking something. My off-roading is definitely on the conservative side.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=4wd+action

I don't remember exactly which video, but it seems everytime the 200 is on the channel it blows a CV axle.

Heavy vehicle, offroad and IFS do not mix. These guys wheel their rigs hard so I've seen a number of IFS vehicles blow CVs, it's just the 200 does it more often.

If I were going to go with as big and heavy a vehicle as the 200, then you might as well get a Dodge RAM with a Solid Front Axle and a proper diesel. Same width and you can carry a camper and tow. It's not like the 200 is even a lot bigger inside than the 100 functionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom