Am I Stupid? 80 series and FJ for 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks guys for all the responses ! I guess I should clarify a few things ! I cannot afford a 2021 200, it would be a few years old of course and with my price range I could only afford one with around 80-100k, I do wheel but nothing that a stock 4x4 couldn’t handle, but like some of you I’m always looking for that vehicle that would be “perfect” looks like I’ve got some thinking to do . My worry is i would end up babying a 200 series too much. And would miss having the option between the FJ and the 80.
There is no such thing as perfect! If you think you find it, you'll find out you were wrong a few months later. Shoot for "good enough." Same applies to real estate, wives, and jobs.

I love my 80 but damn, it'd be nice to have some adequate power under the hood. I was looking for a 200 when my 80 came along and seduced me. I love the truck but hate the lack of power, and while it can be increased, it's expensive. Hope you can make the right decision that brings you happiness in the end.
Agreed. Ultimately it's just cheaper and less headache to find a nice 100 with the 2UZ-FE or a 200. Honestly the power is the biggest reason why I didn't go with larger tires either.

Haven't read all the comments above but, have you estimated the cost to build up the 200 to where you want it? I recently looked at the cost of a 200 and then the cost of the mods that I wanted to make it similar to my 80. I decided it wasn't worth it. Bumpers have gotten a lot more expensive since I last bought one, especially 200 bumpers.

I have an 80 and my wife drives our 200. They are both great vehicles but completely different animals. The 80 has soul and style; I plan to keep it forever. The 200 does everything faster, smoother, quieter, and more comfortably but feels replaceable. All the 200 needs is a locker or 2 and they’d be on pretty equal footing. In a crunch 80 stays because I can diagnose and repair problems, 200 goes.

The answer is no, you are not stupid. Stupid is making a rash decision that involves selling your 80 without consulting the diehards on the 80 forum.

If used 200 series cruisers were more like $20k, with 100k miles then it would be a good buy. At 40k for a used one I can only think of how badass I could make my 80, as well as how many vacations I could take it on.

The answer is no, you are not stupid. Stupid is making a rash decision that involves selling your 80 without consulting the diehards on the 80 forum.

If used 200 series cruisers were more like $20k, with 100k miles then it would be a good buy. At 40k for a used one I can only think of how badass I could make my 80, as well as how many vacations I could take it on.

I think similarly.
There's nothing I need a 200 to do that an 80 can't do.
I can't justify the expense of purchasing a 200, especially knowing I'll scratch it and ding it off road.

Maintaining one in tip-top shape is death by a thousand cuts esp if you don't wrench.

Death by a thousand cuts can be dealt with while cuts are just nicks, not leaving them to become gaping, heamoraging wounds.

Wrenching on them yourself is definitely a key to this. Paying for all the little repairs would get old.

I drive my 80 everyday, and enjoy it everyday.

Don't do it. Upgrading to a 200 series is like a gateway update. Next thing you know you will be wanting to upgrade your house, upgrade your camping setup, upgrade to a pool, pretty soon you will be driving a G-wagon......

40, 62, 80, 100, and 200 in the driveway. We all drive a different one every day. I leave before the wife and kids to go to the shop. I almost always choose the 80. Seldom the 100, occasionally the 200. The wife prefers the 100, or 200.

My feet take me to the 80. It’s got better lines. It’s more comfortable than any of the others. It’s a classic cruiser IMHO. People stare at the 80. They ask questions. It’s fun to drive. The new engine makes it plenty quick. Not a 200 but still good enough, even with 35’s. The 80 feels more capable. Dependable.

Keep the 80, drop the fj, pick up a 200.

Last edited:
if you have two vehicles, you have a choice to drive the other if one breaks down - if you have only one and it breaks down, you will walk :doh:

I'd stick with what you know - not to speak of additional financial obligations you might have to incur to afford the 200

Well I’m 22 , i have no wife or kids, just a German shepherd so maybe I should stick with the toys I got before I start getting myself in a payment buying a high class 200 hahaha. I’ve been convinced . Keep the toys and use the money on adventures 😂

Hell yes.
**** locking yourself into payments for something you'll probably trash the resale value on, or worse if you start wheeling it.

This thing started out as a totally stock, tidy daily driver. Intended to keep it as a daily coz I had a built 80 for wheeling.

IMG_4604.jpg

Then the 80 was out of action, and this went on a 'low key' wheeling trip and lost the plastic rear bumper.
Then it got a 2" lift and on another easy trip it lost alloy side steps.
Then it got 35"s and clearancing to the fenders.
Then it got lockers
Then I cut out the rockers and welded in sliders
Then a winch.
Before I knew it, the only straight body panel is the roof!

It stayed as a daily driver, but ended up being a real 'conversation starter'.
To anyone interested in wheeling, it was obviously built for action. To most other people, it was just a beater that wasn't loved.

sell the FJC and buy a pavement pounder like a Corolla or IS350...

That's my plan anyway. I'm going to sell my 3rd gen 4Runner (DD) and buy a IS350
Than you have a dedicated fun truck and a commuter non-wheeling road tripper that gets good MPG's

Well I’m 22 , i have no wife or kids, just a German shepherd so maybe I should stick with the toys I got before I start getting myself in a payment buying a high class 200 hahaha. I’ve been convinced . Keep the toys and use the money on adventures 😂
Im going to throw another option at you that no one has mentioned.
Keep the FJC. Sell the 80 and get....

Another 80. Except Diesel 5 speed. Get the top trim. You can get LHD or RHD. Both have differences (RHD has fold in mirrors).

Why would you do that?

Because the North American 80's we got are a joke compared to overseas. They got better amenities, a more powerful and economical engine, and a manual.

You can get it for the price of a used decently high mileage (100-120)k. And if you're trying to spend over 30k on a car, you can get a pristine diesel 80.

Insurance would also be lower, and parts are still plentiful.

I also thought of getting a 200, but the mpg, old tech, and honestly bloated big design... nah. Also parts are expensive. Mirrors running 2k. Get out of here.

A 200 is a "I got enough money to damage this high value car" or "Stealth Wealth" car if you're offroading.

Oh, and if you're patient, you can wait 2 years and get a diesel 100 series with a manual.

Im going to throw another option at you that no one has mentioned.
Keep the FJC. Sell the 80 and get....

Another 80. Except Diesel 5 speed. Get the top trim. You can get LHD or RHD. Both have differences (RHD has fold in mirrors).

Why would you do that?

Because the North American 80's we got are a joke compared to overseas. They got better amenities, a more powerful and economical engine, and a manual.

You can get it for the price of a used decently high mileage (100-120)k. And if you're trying to spend over 30k on a car, you can get a pristine diesel 80.

Insurance would also be lower, and parts are still plentiful.

I also thought of getting a 200, but the mpg, old tech, and honestly bloated big design... nah. Also parts are expensive. Mirrors running 2k. Get out of here.

A 200 is a "I got enough money to damage this high value car" or "Stealth Wealth" car if you're offroading.

Oh, and if you're patient, you can wait 2 years and get a diesel 100 series with a manual.
Parts for the diesels can’t be found at any local auto store , that’s the reason why I steer away from vehicles that were never available in the US

An option that you haven't thought of, or at least haven't mentioned, is a newer 4Runner. A Trail Edition, TRD Offroad, or TRD Pro is very capable for what you are talking about. A 4runner is pretty close to the same size as the 80 series, and IMHO is a pretty good blend of 80 series feel in driving characteristics, and capability. It is definitely not a 200. Another idea could be a GX460. Feels like a narrower 200 to me when I drive them, and they are usually very nicely appointed. All the power you could want, and also pretty capable. I enjoy my 80 series. But (not calling you stupid) I'm not sure you would get to enjoy a 200 series. It is an expensive vehicle, and for some reason we tend to baby vehicles that cost more. And we really can't enjoy them in the same way we enjoy a $450 woods toy (Suzuki Samurai, etc), because we're afraid of scratching it, or getting the engine bay muddy, or sliding into a tree. Yes, the 200 is superior to the FJ and the 80. But I'd still keep them instead of upgrading. Unless it was a newer 4runner. TRD Pro....Cavalry Blue....just sayin'.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom