Am I Stupid? 80 series and FJ for 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Am I stupid for considering a trade of my 40th anniversary 80 series and my 2007 FJ cruiser in trade for a 200 series ? I love both these rigs a lot but I feel like the maintenance and cost of ownership would technically be lower in the long run if I traded 2 for 1 ? I had my 80 up for sale a while go in trade for an FJ but ended up not wanting to get rid of it and bought an FJ anyway ? Is it ridiculous to want to trade these 2 for a 200 ? I do a lot of camping and off-roading but nothing extreme . A lot of road trips , some seeing almost zero dirt .

DBB30F5A-8919-4841-931F-23F87E047752.jpeg

67327C4C-0F23-4E15-B396-78FAD54C3047.jpeg

I mean the real question is this:

If you have to ask a bunch of internet dweebs, are you really serious about doing it?

I think if youre a street driver and you can afford the cost differential, then a 200 is a great vehicle to buy, and still very capable if you need it to be.

Downside is the cost of ownership goes WAY up the second you break anything. Are you prepared to handle those costs?

I mean the real question is this:

If you have to ask a bunch of internet dweebs, are you really serious about doing it?

I think if youre a street driver and you can afford the cost differential, then a 200 is a great vehicle to buy, and still very capable if you need it to be.

Downside is the cost of ownership goes WAY up the second you break anything. Are you prepared to handle those costs?
I’ve seen used 200s going for high 20s to mid 30s , main point of this question is am i really simplifying by going 2 for 1 or am I really going the opposite direction. And that’s true with the price difference in fixing stuff , but I do my own wrenching and I think I could handle maintenance on a 200 series

I’ve seen used 200s going for high 20s to mid 30s , main point of this question is am i really simplifying by going 2 for 1 or am I really going the opposite direction. And that’s true with the price difference in fixing stuff , but I do my own wrenching and I think I could handle maintenance on a 200 series
Simplifying, I'd say yes. You also have to think that if you break down on trail or while camping, you're SOL while the rig gets repaired unless you happen to have a 2nd (3rd now, but 2nd when you uptrade) vehicle to use until the rig is up and running again, but that may be a non-issue for you. You have to remember that the 200 tech is a HUGE step up from anything the 80 or FJ had to offer, so most service items you have happen will land you in an electrical situation, if youre comfortable with that, I say you've got your bases covered and to go for it, if not, I'd say do some more research and then decide

TL;DR I say yeah, it's a good idea especially if you can afford it, financially and physically, but you may have problems if you have a major repair issue from wheeling/ standard use.

If you are really trying to reduce your exposure to operating costs then a single car is best. As mentioned above, having 2 may cost more but having a spare when one is down for repairs or maintenance can be a real asset in some cases. I'll add that having a spare while you get one loaded up for a trip or clean it out after a trip would be nice as well. My guess is that if your 80 is up to date on maintenance that it may be your best option in terms of a single vehicle that maximizes delivered utility per operational costs. The FJ likely follows in large part because of it's smaller size with the 200 ranking last because of it's higher up front cost and likely higher maintenance costs when it ages. I'm assuming that the 200 parts are more numerous and more expensive but don't have first hand experience with them and bet they go a long time between repairs.

I'd consider staying where you are. It's a cool setup to have the smaller FJ for some trips and the larger more off-road capable 80 for others. Add to that your ability to stretch out any diy maintenance/upgrade work on the 80 and it seems like a pretty ideal setup in many ways.

Only you can make the call.

I feel like I've been there. I'm constantly second-guessing my vehicle choice and shopping around. At 6 years now, the 80 is just about the longest I've owned any vehicle, I'm usually swapping out 60 series, 4runners, pickups, every few years. I do think that if there is one vehicle that fills the need, it is cheaper and simpler to go that route. Not just maintenance, but also registration and insurance. I shop 200's fairly regularly, and I think it's a trade I would make if my 80 were worth remotely enough to make it happen. I do wheel the 80 and break stuff, but I think the 200 would be stout enough for my usage if I push it. The thing that's hardest to get around is the width, IMO.

The fjcruisers seem to hold value well and sell at a higher dollar around this part of the world.

Not sure how you use the two vehicles now, I’d look to sell just the FJC to get a 200 maybe. It is nice to have something that you worry less about scratches or breakdowns via trail carnage and still know you can drive a clean car to work Monday morning

When my built IFS 3rd 4Runner was stolen, I thought my dream truck was gone. When I replaced it with an 80, I realized I never knew how good an offroad truck could be. I’ll never go back to IFS for trail use on the west coast. A 200 wouldn’t meet my expectations or mission of moderate to difficult trails, but it may meets yours just right.

In your shoes, my first choice would be to keep the 80 for all around trail access and offroad flexibility. Then sell the FJ to fund your 200 purchase. Best of both worlds. Or ditch the 200 all together and get an M3.

Last edited:
When my built IFS 4Runner was stolen, I thought my dream truck was gone for good. When I bought my 80 to replace it, I realized I never knew how good an offroad truck could be. I’ll never go back to IFS for trail use on the west coast.

A 200 wouldn’t meet my expectations or mission of moderate to difficult trails. How are you going to use your vehicle/s in the future?

In your shoes, my first choice would be to keep the 80 for all around trail access and offroad flexibility. Then sell the FJ to fund your 200 purchase.
easier and cheaper to turbo and spend some money on making the interior a lot nicer on an 80 than buying and owning a 200 imo

Something to think about- the 80 and likely the FJC are appreciating.

Something to think about- the 80 and likely the FJC are appreciating.

They are. I have a 200 and an FJC. I take the FJ when I know it is going to be rugged or scratches. The downside is it is smaller. The 200 is very capable off road. I have been a few places where I was the least modified vehicle there.

Did I miss the part where the OP said what year of 200-series he was thinking about trading for?

I completely understand where you're coming from. I have often thought of selling on my 80 and 4Runner and just getting one vehicle. With the 4Runner holding it's value so well and the 80's value seemingly going up in recent times (it seems that the pandemic has inflated the prices on Toyota 4WDs new or used), naturally it has been very tempting. Specifically, I was thinking of going with a new Tundra, but a couple things kinda held me back. This was my reasoning:

1. The 80 and 4Runner are both paid off. With financial uncertainty right now, I'd rather not have another loan.
2. I lose my F&R diff locks and solid axles. I can't get any other Toyota with that.
3. The 4Runner just looks so damn clean. I love the design. And the 80 is a timeless classic look.
4. Toyota's current 4WD lineup is old. Tundra came out in the 2007 model year with the LC200 the year after. I don't wanna spend ~$50k on a 14 year old design that gets 13mpg. I already have an old truck that does that anyway.
5. I don't think I will use a pickup bed, like ever. I just don't have a use for it. I have a Lowe's utility trailer that has a 2000lb payload so whenever I need to haul something, I can just hitch it to the 80.

But there are obviously some advantages.
1. The AB60F transmission is awesome in my opinion. The gearing is perfect. This is what you are going to have in a 2008-2015 LC200. The family Sequoia has this transmission (2011) and I just love it. Nice to drive around town, awesome to tow with, and it's geared just right for off road. And you have an FJ so you probably have the same A750F that I do. I think that's a really good modern feeling automatic as well. But the AB60F is just that much better. I personally don't like the A343F in my 80 series. The first gear is too high, I think it shifts to O/D too quickly, and it doesn't downshift smoothly.

2. Power. 5.7L V8 is no joke. That thing makes our Sequoia fly. Easily twice as fast as the 1FZ-FE, and it sounds really good. Compared to the 4.0L 1GR, its definitely more powerful. At least a second faster 0-60. And towing with it is obviously no problem.

3. Comfort. The LC200, Tundra, and Sequoia are much more comfortable than the 80. Especially once you lift and add bumpers and such, the 80 rides firm. The newer trucks are just smoother, roomier, and quieter. Personally though, I don't think my 4Runner rides too differently from a 200. So I think your FJ probably rides nice too.

4. New features. I personally don't like a lot of electronics in my cars. And I'm saying this as an electrical engineer. I like the 80 because it's basic, and my 4Runner's only option is 4WD. But I'll admit, sometimes I don't mind having heated seats, push button start, blind spot monitoring, radar cruise control, rear cross traffic alert, apple carplay, etc....

Wow I wrote a lot. Well hopefully this helps somewhat.

Also to add another point, I think the longer you hold on to the 80, the more value it gains. Hagerty estimates average values to be 23,000-37,000 for good condition unrestored examples. Or at least something like that idk. And the FJ never really seemed to lose value so you got that too. From a purely financial point of view, you probably shouldn't sell those.

One other thing I've mentioned many times, but failed to mention in my post above: I have regretted every Land Cruiser I ever sold. Even the ones that were "returning to the earth" with rust. Even though my wife only begrudgingly tolerates the clunker, just based on my bitching and moaning, she has told me that if I decide I need another truck, I should not sell the 80.

Not at all, friend!

As an ex-2014 LC owner fully ICON'ed out having piled on 25K miles since new, I myself am tempted to swap my 80 for a '21 200. You an get the darkened headlights. It's got the incrementally well sorted 8-speed. You obviously have the 80's front end aesthetic back. If in fact the 200 ends up being the last Land Cruiser in the USA, it'll retain value pretty darn spectacularly.

The 80 is better looking and more fun to drive. It's cooler and only going to get really really cooler as time passes. Pricing for well kept beauties will continue their climb which inversely makes proper insurance coverage a dice roll. Maintaining one in tip-top shape is death by a thousand cuts esp if you don't wrench. Swallows 37s with ease.

The 200 serves up 15-20 years of worry-free ownership on a silver platter. No more NLA OEM parts worries. NVH is Rolls Royce in comparison. Fitting anything larger than 33s is a lot of slicing and dicing.

Tough call!

Last edited:
Why is the other guy willing to make the trade?

Does he know something about the 200 he's not revealing?

The grass is NOT always greener.......

All solid vehicles. At one time I owned an 80, an fjc and my wife had 200. The fj is by far my favorite. Love the looks and dependability. The 80 is the most capable but I spent plenty rebuilding the engine, trans, etc... to get it dependable again. I have taken my wifes 200 on plenty of trails that have really surprised me. In all honesty the 200 is a beast innstock form. I try to convince her to let me have it every day.. If you have kids and your wife goes with you then get a 200. Gas mileage is horrible on a 200 though. I eventually got rid of my fjc for a tacoma for more room for the family and the fj seats are horrible. A year later the tacoma was too small. Traded that for a rebel family is finally happy. Its hard though. I still want an fjc and a taco. Why can't we have them all. If I had to have 1 vehicle for a daily/mild trail rig it would be the 200. Especially if you ever plan on doing any towing. But honestly you could keep both and just buy something more dependable as a daily. I probably didn't help you at all. But if you have the slightest doubt Don't do it unless you absolutely have to. I kick myself every day for selling my 40 to a friend that showed up with the cash I thought he would pass on. It was a 3rd what they go for now.

Thanks guys for all the responses ! I guess I should clarify a few things ! I cannot afford a 2021 200, it would be a few years old of course and with my price range I could only afford one with around 80-100k, I do wheel but nothing that a stock 4x4 couldn’t handle, but like some of you I’m always looking for that vehicle that would be “perfect” looks like I’ve got some thinking to do . My worry is i would end up babying a 200 series too much. And would miss having the option between the FJ and the 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom