Am I nuts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wife drives an 11 4Runner and I have a 98 LC. Have to say that I prefer to drive my LC more than the 4Runner now, just feels more comfortable than the 4Runner. I compared it in another post that the 4Runner is nice but feels more cramped and setup like a "jet" cockpit where as the LC is more spacious and while it will still hold you, there just feels like there is more room to breath. And in all actuality, the size of both is very similar exterior wise and the interiors are pretty similar space wise with the LC hedging things out.

Roughly 10 years ago I started buying and baselining Japanese vehicles from the 1990's. Initially, I did this to provide my 3 teenage kids with their first car or to upgrade whatever they were driving to something better. Most have been 95-99 models. The average mileage has been 200,000. One example had 115,000 miles.

The thing I've seen and learned about baselining vintage (e.g. 20 yo) vehicles, has been they all the need the same maintenance items.

Hoses, belts, gaskets, vacuum lines, things that use rubber in the engine compartment, bushings, fuel injector o-rings, fuel lines, and shocks/struts. These items appear to deteriorate over time without regard to mileage. My first baseline was on a 19 yo car with 115,000 miles that had been properly serviced by the dealer and garage kept in Texas. It is a beautiful car and after the restoration, it still runs and drives like a nearly new vehicle. For that car, the cost to replace all hoses, fuel, and vacuum lines with OEM parts at an online discount dealer was approximately $1,000.

My point here is, that vintage vehicles have a common set of rubber items that tend to need replacing at or near 20 years. Other items beyond that seem to depend on the vehicle maker, care received by the previous owner, and where the amount of exposure to salt and to extreme heat or cold climate conditions.

Baselining a vintage vehicle can be a rewarding experience,. Just be ready to make the commitment to do it right when the time comes.

Last edited:
I hear you all. I'm happy with the 4runner but I miss the power of the '05 sequoia I drove prior to it and I suspect the 100 would be more comfortable as well. I've done some upgrades to the 4runner and plan a few more over time but I should really be putting my attention and left over money towards the 60 and 40 that both need some work. I don't need another project right now.
Here's the ad if one of you wanted to haggle with the guy:

Titled in Montana is to avoid taxes etc. Usually titled in the name of a LLC.

Not uncommon, but it IS a sign the owner works the system.

I live in Louisiana and I'm insurance. I'm currently working on insuring a $1.4 million coach that a guy down here has titled in Montana.

One last thing, I'm not sure how tall you are, but I'm 6'4" and 230lbs.
I had 3 4Runners prior to my DD Land Cruiser. I found out that I do not fit well in 4Runners. The headroom and the seat size in the LC is much more comfortable than the 4Runner. So if you're a bigger person I can attest to the LC being a better fit.

I live in Louisiana and I'm insurance. I'm currently working on insuring a $1.4 million coach that a guy down here has titled in Montana.
Does Montana not require a physical address?

Does Montana not require a physical address?

As someone said earlier it's typically registered to a limited liability corporation, and that corporation has an agent in the state. It's kind of a shadow industry. That would be for a valuable exotic car or RV, for sales tax and annual registration savings. But an old Land Cruiser is probably a lifetime registration for an 11+ year old vehicle. He may have had an MT address at one time, or a friend in the state - who knows. Obviously the title will tell you who owns it and their address.

I hear you all. I'm happy with the 4runner but I miss the power of the '05 sequoia I drove prior to it and I suspect the 100 would be more comfortable as well. I've done some upgrades to the 4runner and plan a few more over time but I should really be putting my attention and left over money towards the 60 and 40 that both need some work. I don't need another project right now.
Here's the ad if one of you wanted to haggle with the guy:

Wait, you have a 40 and a 60!? Screw it just buy the 100 and round out the collection haha

In Montana a vehicle at least 11 years old can be registered permanently for $87, and I don't think they pay too much attention to whether the vehicle is still in Montana.

No...much more expensive (additional fees). My 07LC was ~ $350, its roughly 3x the cost of a yearly registration to do it permanently.

I do know that many people title RVs in Montana, friend of mine worked for a company that does this.

No...much more expensive (additional fees). My 07LC was ~ $350, its roughly 3x the cost of a yearly registration to do it permanently.

I do know that many people title RVs in Montana, friend of mine worked for a company that does this.

You're right that counties can tack on more fees but the Montana state fees are right there in the code - 61-3-321(2)(a)(iii), $28 per year for an 11 year old vehicle, and 61-3-562(1)(a), $87 one time for a permanent registration. An out of stater looking for cheap can just go to cheapest county. A few years ago there were big differences between the counties, not up to date on it. In any case it's still a great state for registering vehicles, including the 11 year old deal.

Annual - 61-3-321. Registration fees of vehicles and vessels -- certain vehicles exempt from registration fees -- disposition of fees -- definition, MCA

Permanent - 61-3-562. Permanent registration -- transfer of light vehicle ownership -- rules, MCA

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom