Am I crazy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to Sand Dunes National Monument this weekend and it sounds like there will be several 12-24" creek crossings. Am I crazy for trying this with my stock '99 LX470 with stock tires?

12" should not be a problem at all, just move along very slowly, don't surge or make a wake, in other words: don't push water up into your engine compartment. You might pucker your pie-hole a little forging 24 inches though. Not sure if you'll make 24" deep.

Stock LX 470 with AHC mode = giraffe.
The water was just over my knees at the deepest point (I am 6'2") so I think over 24"

Since this swimming lesson I drained both diffs, transaxle, tranny, oil etc, and saw no issues, and have been on a 1000+ mile adventure into Mexico.

Showoff ^^^

When I looked up the specs it said 34" was the max depth. Seemed like a no-brainer to me (assuming I don't stall out). I just don't want to hear it from my wife while we take a nice tow truck drive back to town...

Whatever you do don't end up like me

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1401848530.810736.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1401848569.010631.jpg

Official Jeep Recovery Vehicle

I was showing off a little by crossing a creek and following the bank by a popular swimming hole and the gravel turned into sand which couldn't support the weight of the Cruiser and it slid out from under me. When it did that it brought my Cruiser with it down into deeper water. The deepest part of the hole is 12' so luckily it didn't go that far but it still came over my passenger and rear seats into my cup holders and covering the pedals on the drivers side. It also sucked air into my intake and engine block stalling it. I had a friend pull me out and back up to the head of the trail where I dismantled the intake and when I took off the hose going to the engine block, a long stream of oily water poured out. The tow truck took over from there...

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1401892016.024027.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1401892035.541160.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1401892087.674064.jpg

Official Jeep Recovery Vehicle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom