Am I crazy..Give me opinions befor I do something Stupid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been toying with the idea of an off-road trailer for a while now. I see benefits to both the teardrop style (enclosed sleeper and no folding RTT) and the military style (flexible storage and cost). But at $10k-$20K it is just silly. Tent camping and the constant setup and break down get old, but for the cost I'll keep doing it. And If im going to do this I'd rather not deal with the setup of even a RTT.

I began to think of truck bed with RTT for cost, and 10/10 ghetto looks. Then thought about a service truck bed for compartmentalized side storage. This all led to this:

Build frame with 3500# independent axle <$1500
Buy 2013 Chevy truck bed, white, $500
*Try to buy 2500 rear frame with bed and tie in the tongue and new suspension
Buy this for <$2000

00Q0Q_pSzeRnkZIf_600x450.jpg

00T0T_1pL05BxRACc_600x450.jpg

00101_6vD8a6ohXb_600x450.jpg

00404_uBK2BZ0RUI_600x450.jpg

1. Roof - Remove ladder rack, cheap sunroof, solar panels in future, vent fans
  2. Side Storage - Kitchen on one side, camp stuff on the other; Long horizontal slide at the front holds AGM battery, propane, and solar controls
  3. Interior - remove all floor slides and resize and relocate to Cruiser, middle one is a perfect fridge slide. Paint / carpet, 3" foam mattress, head protection from upper cabinets corners. Feet go in the front with storage above, and head at doors
  4. Exterior - Gas and water cans lined up along the front leading edge, awning on kitchen side, maybe add RV window
  • The side storage can be removed or reconfigured as needed for headroom.
  • The shelves are clearly adjustable and everything is real high quality.
  • The front compartment that runs side-to-side has interior access as well.
  • Once on a white Chevy truck bed it will look almost factory as its custom built and sized
  • Gas struts on all doors
  • Independent Suspension will give great ground clearance and 2 more spares
  • "shell" weighs 500lbs w/o shelves approx 650lbs as I plan it.
  • Pull up, drop stabilizers, open kitchen and awning, and Bobs your uncle!
I'm all in for about $5K.
I'm seriously going to do this if someone doesn't convince me it's not a good idea

Last edited:
I like that body/ your ideas for it, except I don't see the point of putting it in a truck bed. I would suggest a trailer that replicates the points where that body bolts to/ touches the bed. I would assume the floor (light gauge expanded metal) and the bed rails (tubing) would suffice. That would leave a lot of space for steps/ shelves that could be used for exterior storage. Great for fuel can racks/ fire wood/ battery boxes/ propane bottles. Essentially build an exoskeleton for the lower half w/ fenders.

I like that body/ your ideas for it, except I don't see the point of putting it in a truck bed. I would suggest a trailer that replicates the points where that body bolts to/ touches the bed. I would assume the floor (light gauge expanded metal) and the bed rails (tubing) would suffice. That would leave a lot of space for steps/ shelves that could be used for exterior storage. Great for fuel can racks/ fire wood/ battery boxes/ propane bottles. Essentially build an exoskeleton for the lower half w/ fenders.
Thought about the same thing, but I like the idea of wheelwells, I do however like the idea of a tubular slider on square frame,

I believe the maker is Maratek

that thing looks like a fantastic camping unit although probably a bit big and heavy for a true offroad trailer. But great for a base camp configuration. You would be able to store stuff in there like there is no tomorrow. Would not sleep in it without vents and windows, though.

Agree, probably aftermarket sunroof for star gazing, rv windows in doors and exhaust fan on roof. Windows would open of course. I'm not looking at rock crawling, just camping and family type off roading. It's not a featherweight teardrop, buy also not $20k. Figure about same weight as a military trailer with rtt, which I'm fine with

Looks like a good idea, and an out of the box thought that could lead to something cool and unique for sure. Not as compact as a true off road trailer, but like you said, you aren't rock crawling, so it would be sick for a base camp as @e9999 said. Keep us posted!

I agree with barefoot that it could probably be made cheaper, lighter and more utilitarian (but probably not look as nice overall) if you set that shell into a homemade trailer that replicates the basic shape of a truck bed with square tube, rather than getting a real truck bed and truck frame. Just make the shape you need out of 2x2. A real 3/4 ton truck frame is way overkill for something like this, IMO, and the real truck bed would just be for looks (which in my mind renders it useless).

I like the overall concept though. Nice and versatile as a sleeper or a hauler :)

Owning a real truck bed (on a full size truck) with a slide-in pop-top camper on it I know that there is a heck of a lot of wasted space in that assembly. I've been looking at building a dedicated bed for the camper. Would be partly flat-bed, partly utility bed.

So I will also say "build a trailer frame for it". As mentioned, a partial pick-up frame is over-kill where you don't need it and forces some undesirable design compromises related to the tongue. Unless the budget is non-existent there are better ways.

Thank you all for your input. It turns out this is an 8 foot insert, not 6, so I will go another way.

Just saw this on CL and made me think of this thread:

Offroad camper

00505_3UnsbGbvnnk_600x450.jpg

Ha-ha, little different but I've had that idea, you can tow most places, sleep inside with room for a few chairs maybe, and tons of exterior storage. Does look heavy though

Looks familiar, I think it's build thread can still be found on Expi Portal somewhere.

Looks like the tongue comes prebent on that unit

I have been toying with the idea of an off-road trailer for a while now. I see benefits to both the teardrop style (enclosed sleeper and no folding RTT) and the military style (flexible storage and cost). But at $10k-$20K it is just silly. Tent camping and the constant setup and break down get old, but for the cost I'll keep doing it. And If im going to do this I'd rather not deal with the setup of even a RTT.

I began to think of truck bed with RTT for cost, and 10/10 ghetto looks. Then thought about a service truck bed for compartmentalized side storage. This all led to this:

Build frame with 3500# independent axle <$1500
Buy 2013 Chevy truck bed, white, $500
*Try to buy 2500 rear frame with bed and tie in the tongue and new suspension
Buy this for <$2000

View attachment 1186069
View attachment 1186070
View attachment 1186071
View attachment 1186072

1. Roof - Remove ladder rack, cheap sunroof, solar panels in future, vent fans
  2. Side Storage - Kitchen on one side, camp stuff on the other; Long horizontal slide at the front holds AGM battery, propane, and solar controls
  3. Interior - remove all floor slides and resize and relocate to Cruiser, middle one is a perfect fridge slide. Paint / carpet, 3" foam mattress, head protection from upper cabinets corners. Feet go in the front with storage above, and head at doors
  4. Exterior - Gas and water cans lined up along the front leading edge, awning on kitchen side, maybe add RV window
  • The side storage can be removed or reconfigured as needed for headroom.
  • The shelves are clearly adjustable and everything is real high quality.
  • The front compartment that runs side-to-side has interior access as well.
  • Once on a white Chevy truck bed it will look almost factory as its custom built and sized
  • Gas struts on all doors
  • Independent Suspension will give great ground clearance and 2 more spares
  • "shell" weighs 500lbs w/o shelves approx 650lbs as I plan it.
  • Pull up, drop stabilizers, open kitchen and awning, and Bobs your uncle!
I'm all in for about $5K.
I'm seriously going to do this if someone doesn't convince me it's not a good idea

If you're desert trekking it may be a comfy setup. If you're doing the Rubicon or Moab NO. Ideally a trailer as large as your toe rig is ideal. Compensations can be made and adjusted. I built mine with all equipment for under 5 grand. She will tow anywhere the jeep goes. Picts. PM me and I'll give you the twenty cent your. Jim

I'm actually looking into doing the same thing with a work body bed. Ideally off something like a Tacoma so it is about the same width/wheel base as either of the 120 series it will be towed behind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom