Am I crazy? 80 Series Tow rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
webpages.charter.net
Ok, heres the scoop. I am looking into getting a different tow rig. I have been tossing around ideas and would like to have a tow rig that I can also trailride with. For towing I will be hauling an 18' car trailer with brakes on one axle, with a tube chassis rock crawler on top. I am guessing 5-6K

I am tempted by finding a 93-94 80 Series and using this for tow duties (under 10 times a year) and light trailriding. This would not be a DD.

So what do you guys think, is the 80 up for the task? And if so is there any mods that would be needed/avoided. Example is a weight dist hitch a must, will larger tires and 2.5 lift be bad for towing?

Thanks in advance

I can tell you that I pull a 2.5-3K travel trailer (caravan for those in UK) with my '97, and until I got a SC, it was usable, but straining to make it up hills here in the hills of the Northeast US (Pocono and Adirondack mountains). With the SC, it climbs up relatively easy with a bit to spare, but if you're contemplating a 5K load, I would think twice, but I have heard of guys doing this.

Also, Toyota does not recommend weight distributing hitchs for these trucks, though I don't know why--I suspect others on this board will have answers, and some may even tow this much weight, but you're pushing the safety limits of towing with an 80 with 5K.

Tom

This is only an opinion not experience, my truck tows a 2500 lb boat a few times a year. It does not notice that weight.

I know nothing about the impact of the lift.

A stock 93-94 80 is rated to tow 5,000lbs with standard factory tow kit (a/t cooler). That rating is presumbly reduced if you put an arb bar and winch on the front and any additional weight like sliders or a rear bumper.

I would not exceed the 5000 lb rating nor use it regularly at or near its max rating in stock form. 80's have a tendency to blow head gaskets. This seems to be caused by a tendency to overheat or run near hot which in turn may be due to a tendency to get blockages in the coolant system or just to a design limitation or even to the fact the temp gauges are not that sensitive so you don't know when you are hot. If you do want to tow at or near 5,000lbs regularly with one, I would consider adding an aftermarket oil cooler, temp gauge, and maybe a snorkel or other improved air intake system. I would also consider switching to the larger 100 front brake pads.

You should read landandsea's post about his trip to mexico towing a bfb (the last b stands for boat) for an example of the limits of towing with an 80. Assuming his vehicle was running at spec (which so far as I know is the case), the temperatures it threw off are frightening.

I have used my 80 Series for a tow rig on a few ocassions without any issues.

Pre-S/C I towed a Toyota mini to BHCC (and back / MN to Rapid City, SD) with no issues. Next year (with S/C) I towed a FJ40 out and a FJ45 back, the supercharger made towing much nicer. I was able to set the cruise control and not worry... :)

I then towed a large U-Haul trailer from MN to San Fran./Bay area (with a stopover in Montrose, CO & Moab, UT to wheel) without ANY issues. IMHO the 80 series makes a good tow rig, especially if you are only going to use it as such a few times a year.

I just got back from towing my new tow rig about 300 miles with the 80. Towing my mini up to Wausau from Chicago, I noticed it was running a bit hotter than normal except in the Dells where it ran hot enough that I was scared to run the A/C. The AT temp light never came on, but it worried me. Pre-sliders/ARB I weighed in at 5900#. It's gotta be 6300# now. It's got enough problems hauling it's own fat ass around.
Towing the T-100 back was no problem. It was cold out and the truck had no engine or transmission.

I had thought I would build the 40 for crawlin' and tow it with the 80. Then wheel the 80 when I broke the 40, but now I don't know. I think the 40 will be too heavy and too big for the 80 to tow well. So now the plan it to build the T for a tow rig and have a lifted, beat up, dding 80. :D

What about an 80 with a blower, water injection, and all the tranny/engine oil coolers you could fit on it. Proper gears for tire size, and no extra weight from sliders and bumpers. I would think that would be able to haul ass no matter what's hitched to it.
I ask, because the 94 I'm lookin at would probably see service as a tow vehicle for the 40. But it would be flat towed, which generally seems to be easier on vehicles than towing with a trailer.

I have towed my built up 40 on a 2K trailer. A bit slow on the hills, but works great. I do have a standard OME lift, and use an electric brake controller.

For 10 times a year unless I lived in CO, I think you would be fine.

Jim

I think everyone is saying that it can be done, but the basic problem is one of weight. As you get up to the 5-6K range, you're getting too heavy for the truck (have to consider total weight of the package which is the LC plus the trailer plus whatever you got in 'em). At about 5K for the LC and another 5-6K for the load, you're getting into some serious weight.

The SC and assorted coolers all do good to keep the truck pulling, but there's just so much weight that the hardware can handle safely, and as semlin pointed out, our beloved brakes would no doubt become an issue. I wouldn't want to make a habit of pulling that kind of load with my truck, but on occaision, going easy, maybe...

Tom

cruiserrg has witnessed it...I towed pretty regularly with my 95 V6 4wd x-cab 5-speed Toy pickup, 4.56 stock gears and 33" tires, pulling ~6500# of trailer/FJ40 around the MidWest. Never once had issue with handling, but accelleration sucked, and hills could kill ya. Spent all it's time towing in 4th gear, 70-75 mph was no problem, stopping rocked with trailer brakes, and the factory clutch was changed at 145k...towed for the last time at about 148k and finally decided to retire it. Even ran it once at 65 mph for over an hour with a nasty headwind, using 3rd gear and over 5k. Engine temps never moved, oil pressure fine.

IMO, for once a month and mostly midwestern use, it's a good short-term solution. I also believe cruiserrg is in dreamstate with regards to a Duramax and 5th-wheel enclosed....this would be workable until that comes about.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=2;threadid=3986;start=0#msg29337 date=1059495015]
What about an 80 with a blower, water injection, and all the tranny/engine oil coolers you could fit on it.
[/quote]

:D 8) ;) ::) Ok, I'll try that.......

[quote author=woody link=board=2;threadid=3986;start=0#msg29345 date=1059496784]I also believe cruiserrg is in dreamstate with regards to a Duramax and 5th-wheel enclosed....this would be workable until that comes about.
[/quote]
Why duramax when you can have a REAL diesel engine... ???
a POWERSTROKE! Get some Banks action in there and...... :eek: :D

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=2;threadid=3986;start=0#msg29347 date=1059497090] when you can have a REAL diesel engine... ??
[/quote]

Bailey, that would be a Cummins 6BT........... :D

considering cruiserrg works for GM, I'd be surprised to see him driving anything BUT a duramax...

VERY surprised...hehehe

When I was parts manager at our Chevrolet store I used to park my then brand new '89 Dodge Cummins 1 ton in front of the building. Used to drive the general manager nuts. He couldn't say too much though as I bought it from our Dodge store down the street. :D

[quote author=woody link=board=2;threadid=3986;start=0#msg29351 date=1059497891]
considering cruiserrg works for GM[/quote] I won't hold it against him :p ;) :D

Cruisin, I tow a 3800lb trailer for scouts with a stock '94 without problems. I do use a weight dist. hitch. Like others have said, I struggle to get up long grades, but I always get there. No overheating issues, and I do watch the temp guage up steep or long grades like a hawk.

Sounds good brent.
My dads bronco with a 351 currently flat tows my 40 very very well.
I would imagine that the 1FZ-FE that has more torque than that 351 would pull it nearly as well as the bronco.

What ever you do, don't use a 91-92 for towing. I pull my kids Peg-Perego Jeep around on a 4x8 trailer which together are about 700lbs and my 92 works to do that. :'(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom