Am I crazy?!?! 2019 LC to Midsize Truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You're not crazy. But if you make the switch, then you will be crazy and delusional! Before we purchased our used 2008 cruiser back in June, we test-drove a later-model Taco crew cab. It was stiff, every bump was felt by every passenger, the head and shoulder room was tight. We did not like the seating/viewing position. Years ago I had a 2000-something 4Runner. Great truck for off-road. It was not pleasant for the daily and highway driving. Now that we've had the Cruiser for almost 4 months, there's NO WAY we would exchange it for a Taco, 4Runner, or any other similar truck.

As others have said, you should consider either getting a used vehicle to tow and rent a trailer, or rent something every now and then if you need to haul stuff. Do you have a buddy who will haul stuff for you? How about getting a used V8 4Runner to tow?

what Do u need to haul and how often? I ditched my gen 1 tundra when I got the LC. I have a liner I use for the occasional messy cargo. Or I rent a truck. +1 on the ranger. I rented one last spring and was very impressed.

I test drove a 2020 Tacoma. It was much improved over the 2019 I drove last year. I whitewater kayak, and it is nice to have a bed to throw boats in. The 2020 Tacoma has power seats with more adjustments, and it shifted better than the 19. Seemed like a decent truck (I drove a Pro). But for the price, picking a 2016 LC with 32k miles for about $5k more was a no brainer for me, but I also have an old pickup. The Taco is a toy in comparison. There tends to be a lot of quality control issues with the 3rd gen Taco as well (which is what pushed me into my first 200 series in the first place). If it still had a 4.0 V6 and was built in Japan (see 4Runner), I may have a new truck in my driveway, but it is lacks torque and the powerband RPM range is too high.

I have a 4Runner too (wife drives) and we both really like it. The rear window roll down feature is awesome for the dogs. And while this statement may not be popular, I think the 4Runner is more reliable for most drivers than the Land Cruiser (LC is more robust for armor and off-roading). That said, the LC is quieter, has more power, and feels more planted on the road.

Unless the Tacoma dramatically improves in the 4th Gen, I won't consider getting another one. I had a Tundra, and it was great, but too big for city driving.

Last edited:
I’ll chime in too. I just came from Tacoma’s. They were fine until I had family. Loaded, LC and taco get about h the same fuel efficiency. Only the 200 moves when to press the accelerator. Oh and this would never happen...

CB2BC850-4053-4F2A-B23D-2BC115CEA14C.jpeg

Taken about five hours into our New Mexico road trip. Everyone is still all smiles!

I’ll chime in too. I just came from Tacoma’s. They were fine until I had family. Loaded, LC and taco get about h the same fuel efficiency. Only the 200 moves when to press the accelerator. Oh and this would never happen...

View attachment 2110149

Taken about five hours into our New Mexico road trip. Everyone is still all smiles!

What an adorable photo!
Three of my favorite things:
-Dogs
-Kids
-Kids (and people in general) who love dogs :)

Last edited:

View attachment 2110149

That pic just about sums everything that matters...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom