Am I an idiot? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The valve cover leak is a cheap and easy fix to diy, just give yourself a day to work on it so you're not rushed and a step stool so your comfortable when you're re-seating the covers, which can honestly be the most time-consuming part. If it's your first time doing it on a V8, I know it should make logical sense, but it still surprised me for some reason- it takes literally twice as long as it does to do it on an Inline 4...
It's my first V8, but it looks very straightforward compared to the V6s I had. If the leak isn't bad, I might procrastinate until I do the timing belt. It already has 50k miles, so I might do it in the next year and prematurely replace anything else that makes sense.

Sharp truck. The color is neat just because you don't see many trucks in that color made by anyone.

I'm beyond happy at the decision you all supported.

Oh, we're just happy because we don't have to pay the cost of your decision! ;) Valve covers are fairly easy, compared to most modern junk - start with the passenger's side first to build up your confidence.
My friend said it reminded him of the Nissan Silvia:

image01.jpg

If the valve cover leak isn't bad, I'm gonna put it off until it's time to do the timing belt. I'm more concerned about the brake booster assembly at the moment!

This right here. We have a 100 Series with 220K on it and a brand new 23' Tundra that just sits. My wife still dailys the 100 lol
I think it's the visibility and how it drives smaller than it is. My wife hasn't driven it yet, but I'm sure she's going to take it over as well 😂

Before you even replace the valve cover gasket did you check to see if the bolts are tight? A few in the forums have posted before they just had to snug them up and the leak/weep went away.

Looks like a great 100, congrats!

Congrats! I was wondering whether I was an idiot as well (probably so, but for different reasons). I just picked up a 98 cruiser, rust-free, 310k miles with almost all the normal PM and repairs done. Crappy paint, but mine is going to sit in a garage in WA and get used 6-8 weeks per year. 16.4 MPG driving the 640 miles back from AZ to CO! Driving it the 1500 miles to WA in a few weeks.

Before you even replace the valve cover gasket did you check to see if the bolts are tight? A few in the forums have posted before they just had to snug them up and the leak/weep went away.

Looks like a great 100, congrats!
Thank you! That's a great point. I'll make sure they're all torqued up before I do something expensive!

Congrats! I was wondering whether I was an idiot as well (probably so, but for different reasons). I just picked up a 98 cruiser, rust-free, 310k miles with almost all the normal PM and repairs done. Crappy paint, but mine is going to sit in a garage in WA and get used 6-8 weeks per year. 16.4 MPG driving the 640 miles back from AZ to CO! Driving it the 1500 miles to WA in a few weeks.

Nice! Congrats on your purchase too! Those 1500 mile trips are something we plan on doing as well. Judging by your mpg, you're a much better driver than me 😁 We had to make u-turns on certain roads because our current roadtrip Prius can only do so much. It feels really good to have a real truck now!

It's my first V8, but it looks very straightforward compared to the V6s I had. If the leak isn't bad, I might procrastinate until I do the timing belt. It already has 50k miles, so I might do it in the next year and prematurely replace anything else that makes sense.
I feel that. I could have easily ignored my VCG and radiator leaks and just added oil and water regularly, but after a lifetime of used Toyotas, I HATE the smell of leaking oil or coolant, and the VCG is such an easy job when you get around to it (unless you apply too many ugga duggas like this idiot, lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom