Always wanted a 60's series

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to buuy a 62 here in CA and I am sticker shocked at what is being asked. for a clean, sometimes fully stock vehicle, people are asking between 6500- 11000. is this just the way of the world right now? I am looking at one with under 150k miles for 8000 really clean but wonder if this is "stupid money" for this vehicle. granted I know that most of this needs to be me and my perception of value. Will I be comfortable with the purchase overall? we have our harts set on a 55,60 or 62 but find the 62's to be the best fit for the intended purpose. What should I look for? granted I have already read the purchase thread. I guess assides from that I am asking should a cruiser for that price tag have had lots of upgrades or at the least had some wear items replaced? If not will I probably be looking at suspension off the bat with the age of the vehicle? any advice is greatly appreciated.

You can purchase lots of cruisers for less money. But, BIG but...they will need work. If you do the work (free labor) you will at least pay for parts. A landcruiser is an older vehicle, but it was (and still is) toyoto's premier global vehicle. Parts prices reflect this. A 62 in great condition can easily command the prices you are seeing. The key is "great condition." Landcruisers are legendary for their durability, and many (most) owners abuse this...which means most of the ones for sale have many service issues that need attention.

One example...I bought my 60 10 years ago for a good price, but in the course of 3-4 years I spent easily $4K in parts bringing it up to safe/reliable level. I did most of the work, so labor was "free."

My opinion...a 62 with no rust, in good safe condition, no excessive wear, everything (everything!) working correctly, all preventative maintenance done, is easily worth north of $6K.

This is an emotional purchase. Don't think of the initial cost. The truck will be with you for a long time if you take care of it. Think of the purchase price amortized across the number of years you expect (hope) to own it. It won't depreciate.

My two cents.

I got a 60 about 2 months ago. The :princess: decided we're going to take it to Mexico for our honeymoon about a month ago. :bang: I toyed with idea knowing I could take my 80 instead...until the head gasket went. Now the 60 is my daily driver/expedition vehicle.

Since then I have spent every single weekend and almost every night after work getting it ready, along with thousands of hard earned dollars. And this was a fairly well maintained one with new OME suspension, a rebuilt carb, and a new clutch.

My advice: Buy one from a fool that already did all the hard work. The heater hoses are a nightmare to change and hideously expensive. The knuckle rebuild is disgusting and tedious. The AC system is like black magic or voodoo. Getting it to pass smog almost requires an act of congress. You can't even choose motor oil without researching zinc content on Bob the frickin oil guy. It's madness.

Be smart, get a brand new 200 series with a warranty or take up an easier, cheaper hobby. I should have.

Lol good advice! I picked up a 84 fj60 with a blown hg and no wiring harness for $600. Body was in awesome shape. Took another drivetrain out of another 60 i had ($1200) and had trollhole cruisers rewire it and one or two minor issues.(1200 more). Since then i have added sliders and some dents. My point is you could buy a much cheaper truck and put it together for much less.

ForumRunner_20130820_093148.jpg

Like a Rolls Royce, you're not an owner, you're merely the steward taking care of it for the next owner. Or, go cave in the rocker panels while 'wheeling - one or the other.

Inflation and the lameness of newer vehicles (traction control, etc.) have both added to the appeal/price of 60 series trucks. They will always have a niche following and good examples will ALWAYS find a buyer.

I bought a '62 for cheap, and it needs front springs, much interior cleanup, an exhaust system, and some bodywork. I could have paid 4x as much for one in the same condition. Try to find one from a buyer that isn't going for the throat on a roached out one. And with 200+K miles on most of them, you may need to plan on a head gasket, engine, or trans - or all three. I will put in an H55 if my auto tranny blows - and unleash the poor strangled 3F-E.

Complete and proper up to date maintenance records would be what I'd be asking for to complete a sale for that price. I gave 4K for mine with 225,000 miles on the clock. But I was handed maintenance records dating back to it's first oil change. Literally a three ring binder full of receipts over the life of my 62.

That was the selling point for me to fork over 4k for a vehicle that at the time was 21 years old. Like was stated eariler, they'll last a life time with proper maintenance but as was also said, many lc owners abuse their cruisers. I bought mine because I WANTED one. Since my purchase I've put an additional 5k into it not because it needed it, per se but because I wanted to put the additional monies into her.

Everyone's needs are different but ask your why you want a vehicle that's 20+ years old. They can make very reliable DD's but from an economical point of view, you're better off with a newer vehicle.

Miltos - I'm somewhat on the other end of the spectrum - I paid a buttload for my 62 with over 250K on the clock... way over the $$ range in your post. However, the previous owner had built it up in a way that I really liked. H55 manual trans, new interior, EMU lift, custom front/rear bumpers, and the list goes on.

I had to baseline a few things such as having the front axle rebuilt with new seals and such, which is an every 60K mile service (i think), pinion seals, and a few other things. I had mechanics do the work so extra $$ outflow there as well. Long story short, expect to do (or have someone do) some things up front - which I think is a shared opinion on this forum.

I sometimes question the amount I paid for it, but that quickly vanishes the moment I step out the door and see it. The unofficial name at the moment of mine is simply "The Happy Truck". All I need is to see or drive it and I'm good to go! I'm very proud to own it and I'm sure you would be too if you find the right one. I guess the point of my post is that I too was looking for one on the cheaper side, but when I priced out things I wanted to do to it for a build up and added in estimated labor, it came to be way more than what I actually paid for the one I found.

Good luck to you!

I, like the poster above probably paid too much for my 62. I paid over 8k but it was expedition ready, or so it seemed. It had all the accoutrements, winch, sliders, swing out/jerry can rear bumper, custom front bumper, OME lift, new "leather"seats( I put that in quotes because that was what the po said in his add),new stereo, 6 teflon american racers, with new 33 " bfg's, mean green alt & starter, Selby sway bars, 4 yakima racks, tinted, aussie locker, custom exhaust, fresh paint,etc etc... This guy had put in God knows how much, I think I started adding it up once and when it got passed 17k i stopped, I was happy. It was like I got a rust free, perfectly straight FJ 62 for nothing.
So that is the good part, Beautiful truck, high mileage222k but engine rebuild? at 170k, all the goodies.
The bad, I am noob. Didnt notice slip between 2nd and3rd. Didn't notice it couldnt be shifted into low. Didn't notice out of camber front wheel. Didnt notice sloppy steering and shifter. And then there is the fact it is a 25 year old truck. Started not starting, new fpr and fpd, sort of solved it. Out of camber tire means you need an entire new axle housing, so front end rebuild, why not? 02 sensor on custom exhaust in way of shift linkage, how do you not notice that?Auto tran, well I'm gonna ride that pony into the stable.
So I guess what I'm saying is The likelihood of getting a garaged granny driving 62 with low mileage at a steal is not very good, the likelihood of getting a high mileage slightly mishandled clean 62 at a steal is good. So aim low and be happy, spend as much as you can afford, because either way you are going to be fixing these things, and the tranny's gonna go at some point, but thats part of it. Im almost kinda of bummed that I couldnt have gotten some bone stock 62 and started some awesome build thread and put each and every bit on it myself, but I saved a bunch of $ and have an awesome truck that I've gotten the chance to work on loads anyway!
So in the end I'm glad I overpaid, because I didn't really, its not about that initial investment, and if your already on this forum, pshhh... your set. :flipoff2:

well this is what I WAS AFTER. THANKS! I AM A LITTLE SUPPRISED ABOUT THE NEGATIVE POSTS BUT I'M VERY PLEASED TO SEE BOTH SIDES F THE FENCE. MY WIFE AND I HATE NEW CARS. WE HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT BAD LUCK WITH THEM. COMPUTER EVERYTHING RUNNING MOTORS SO CLOSE TO STOICH THAT YOU ARE LUCK TO GET 150K OUT OF A MOTOR. WE WANT A TRUCK TO SEE THE WORLD IN PULLING A SMALL TRAILER CUISING ALONG, ALL THE WHILE WITH THE KIDS DRIVING US CRAZY IN THE BACK. I ALREADY HAVE A PROJECT CAR. ONE MORE WONT KILL ME BUT A RESTORATION PROJECT WOULD. SO BACK TO THE VEHICLE IN QUESTION. I BELEIVE I CAN FIX WHAT BREAKS AS WE GO WITH OUT THE NEED FOR A STEALERSHIP. ATLEAST THAT'S WHAT MY WIFE KEEPS SAYING. THIS TRUCK NEEDS TO BE A COMMUTE VEHICLE FOR A COUPLE YEARS. GAS ASSIDES I THINK THEY ARE RELIABLE. WHEN I FINISH SCHOOL I'LL DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO TAKE THE FAMILY TO YELLOWSTONE OR B.C. LONG WINDED I KNOW. SO FOR 8K SHOULD THIS TRUCK BE PRISTINE? AS IT LOOKS I WONDER IF IT HAS SEEN GARAGE TIME FOR THE PAST DECADE. BUT HAS IT SEEN ANY MAINTENANCE? I AM HEARING AXLE REBUILDS ABOVE. IS THIS COMMON? HOW CAN I VARIFY AN ISSUE. IS CAMBER THE TELL TALE SIGN? THANKS AGAIN GUYS. I WILL BE GETTING A FJ JUST NEED A LITTLE ADVIVE ON WHAT ARE THE BIG ISSUES TO LOOK FOR.

They are old cars. Find the cleanest best maintained one you can find for a decent price and be prepared to put time and money into it over time. I think most of us on here would agree that at times it can be a love/hate relationship, but definitely worth it. I don't think 8K is a bad price for a 62 that is in good shape. Good luck!

8k is high in my opinion without good maintenance records. Knuckle rebuilds are routine maintenance for these vehicles. Telltale signs are accumulation of grease around the knuckles. There will be seepage around them as well. Use the search feature for knuckle rebuilds, there's tons of threads and pictures to guide you through the process. Not really hard just EXTREMELY MESSY. If you're going to do all of the maintenance yourself then paying a little more for the right cruiser will even out in the long run but having someone else do the work will put a serious drain in the bank account. Keep us posted on your decision.

8k is high in my opinion without good maintenance records. Knuckle rebuilds are routine maintenance for these vehicles. Telltale signs are accumulation of grease around the knuckles. There will be seepage around them as well. Use the search feature for knuckle rebuilds, there's tons of threads and pictures to guide you through the process. Not really hard just EXTREMELY MESSY. If you're going to do all of the maintenance yourself then paying a little more for the right cruiser will even out in the long run but having someone else do the work will put a serious drain in the bank account. Keep us posted on your decision.

Took me 26 hours to do my knuckle rebuild last weekend. Vast majority of that time was spent cleaning the dirty parts and almost 30 years of grease and grime build up.

Once you buy one join the local lc club in your area. Buy lots of beer and post up a date and time for them to come look at the rig. Post pictures of said beer and watch the people flock to your house to work on it.

Heres mine. A 1990 fj62 I paid $1000 with a blown transfercase couple of battle scars and some New England rust. Super clean interior. Oh yeah it has 116k on it. Wont drive it to Cali but will around here. Other than basic maintance and headaches been alright.Good luck

image-3397709715.jpg

image-1797538013.jpg

image-1734940282.jpg

image-147782405.jpg

image-3397709715.jpg

image-1797538013.jpg

image-1734940282.jpg

image-147782405.jpg

great info. the owner said there was grease dripping from the ball joints. this means knuckle rebuild.

One question, which I can't see because I play in the 'mud on my iPhone, where in CA are you located. I recently saw a 60 with an SOA, SBC TBI350 and Chevy tranny on Craigslist for around 11k and in great shape. The work was done by the most reputable LC shop in my area (Rock Solid Offroad). Patience and constant attention to CL outside your immediate areas will yield surprising results. GLWS ( Good luck with search in this case)

Thanks. Perhaps I can whittle down the price to reflect the possible work. I am in Sacramento area. So if sh** is dripping of the lower ball joints,pardon my greendom, would this translate to knuckle rebuild and possibly what other fixes associated with symptom?

Leaky knuckles would be the least of my worries. Get the compression and oil pressure tested and carefully evaluate the transmission and rear diff. If all that stuff passes muster, anything else is just 'noise'

Don't be too impatient - the right one will turn up. I hunted at some length for a 7.3 Diesel F-350 and finally went back to one I had seen 6 mo. earlier and talked the seller into selling it. I'm glad I was patient.

When you do finally buy one, make your first purchase a FSM. It's worth it's weight in gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom