Aluminum Radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Probably a dumb question, but a search here yielded different results.

Got a Liland aluminum radiator that's expected to arrive tomorrow; backstory is the stupid nipple for the bypass hose up top had split so my hose is hanging on for dear life.

Waiting for some hoses and a new radiator cap to arrive from Wit's End; so convenient shopping at his site.

Question here is, I haven't owned an all-aluminum radiator for a long time now and not sure if I should go with the red stuff and mix myself or go pink?

I've read one thread that recommended going pink (OAT) vs red (IAT) but figured I'd ask the collective whole here before I order some coolant.

Probably offend some on here but since you’re at a point where you can flush the whole system why not switch to the universal green/yellow. Much easier to find if you need to top off in the middle of nowhere. Been running that in mine for 6 years with no issues.

Not opposed to it.

I have 2 unopened gallons in the garage of pink I believe. I just don't know if it plays well with aluminum or if red does?

But I don't mind switching altogether either.

Run whatever you're already running so that you don't have to worry about sludge from not getting all the old stuff out.

The red stuff tastes better...

Started pulling my radiator, not bad at all just time consuming.

20221231_121736.jpg

20221231_130229.jpg

20221231_130237.jpg

20221231_140226.jpg

20221231_134101.jpg

I would've had a chance to install the radiator and get everything put back together, but I decided to replace my leaking power steering hose.

In all my years, I've never had a hose kick my ass like this one today.

The hose is literally fused to the reservoir, as it's become to rigid and will not come off at all.

What's removed is because I had to cut it off. And yes, the hose broke; had to put a plug on the end of it to keep it from spilling all over.

Not even sure how I'm going to get it off after I'm done cutting off the piece attached to the reservoir.

20221231_164150.jpg

I would've had a chance to install the radiator and get everything put back together, but I decided to replace my leaking power steering hose.

In all my years, I've never had a hose kick my ass like this one today.

The hose is literally fused to the reservoir, as it's become to rigid and will not come off at all.

What's removed is because I had to cut it off. And yes, the hose broke; had to put a plug on the end of it to keep it from spilling all over.

Not even sure how I'm going to get it off after I'm done cutting off the piece attached to the reservoir.

View attachment 3207011
Torch that bit** off.

Okay, I am drinking and this may not be the best idea, or maybe it is the best idea 😂 🤣 😆 😅

HAPPY NEW YEARS

i use green since its something i can find anywhere in my 80s. all my other toyotas (over 15 counting work vehicles) are serviced at the dealership and myself so they get red.

i know that sounds stupid as hell to have 2 different types but my tractor and both the 80s are getting used only when needed and arent in a fleet. they stay at my personal shop in the field so they get the part store brand stuff.

New belts "while I'm in there"

20230101_145352.jpg

Radiator looking at home

20230101_145931.jpg

Trusting this radiator; we'll keep it at that and stick with an OEM cap though

20230101_150532.jpg

In the future, for stuck on hoses that you plan to replace, cut the hose lengthwise at the fitting.

As mentioned earlier, flush your system thoroughly including both heater cores and go back in with a yellow long life coolant. I use Napa brand.

Most Aluminim radiators that were made “over seas” don’t fit properly. I went down that road three years ago, or so, and ended up sending it back and bought an oem radiator.

It appears that the welded in nipple of your radiator trans cooler outlet is pointed the wrong direction.

Last edited:
In the future, for stuck on hoses that you plan to replace, cut the hose lengthwise at the fitting.

As mentioned earlier, flush your system thoroughly including both heater cores and go back in with a yellow long life coolant. I use Napa brand.

Most Aluminim radiators that were made “over seas” don’t fit properly. I went down that road three years ago, or so, and ended up sending it back and bought an oem radiator.

It appears that the welded in nipple of your radiator trans cooler outlet is pointed the wrong direction.

Good idea, but that's what I did. I tried cutting it across the length, at an angle, everything. It spun on the nipple itself but wouldn't actually slide up or off.

I got a lot of Toyota stuff so I'll be sticking with that as far as coolant goes.

The radiator is a good fit so far, just putting bolts in place where they're missing...previous owner s*** you know?

As for the trans fittings, they're threaded.

20230101_165107.jpg

Last edited:
So FYI, radiator surface will be warm after driving!

I knew that going in, but just something to always remember.

20230102_131431.jpg

I'm hoping in due time my power steering system will relieve itself of all air.

I don't have a jack (long story, new house just moved months ago) so I drove out to a field and put my vehicle up on an incline. Did the whole lock to lock multiple times and topped off a bit.

Still got a whine but not as overly loud as it was; really annoying still.

Last edited:
Fast forward a few days, I think in moving around the reservoir and replacing one low pressure hose I may have moved the others enough to cause an even worse leak.

Wake up to a puddle every day, worse than before.

Either that or the new hose helped (was leaking) and now since it doesn't, it's causing the other pre-existing leaks to become worse.

Got a used OEM pump on the way, a Gates high pressure hose that arrived, and a rebuild kit from Wit's End. Will be using the remaining 2 hoses I got from the kit I got several weeks back.

FWIW the small O-ring for the short suction pipe on the side of the PS pump is known to leak when it gets old, and the High Pressure hose will need a new double crush washer (will get a leak if resuse the old one). HTHs

Radiator working well? The OEM unit in mine let go last weekend. Looking at this one for replacement as my local Toyota dealer want $600 for OEM. Fan shroud fit.ok?

Radiator working well? The OEM unit in mine let go last weekend. Looking at this one for replacement as my local Toyota dealer want $600 for OEM. Fan shroud fit.ok?

Yep!

Been driving it as it's my daily driver and I go to school.

Working perfect and burping needed was at a minimum.

Also idles better now that I have new belts with the correct tension set on everything. Today I finished up replacing all the power steering hoses as well as my steering pump. Everything's mint now.

Big thanks to Joey at Wit's End for expediting getting some parts to me as it really came in clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom