Aluminum radiator replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a new radiator, the old owner had tore off the mounting brackets and it was only set into the cradle resting on the bottom tank! I looked at champion cool. I've used their stuff before and I was very happy with the quality built in the US, 100% aluminum (no plastic tanks), TIG welded, lifetime warranty, and very reasonable prices. They make a radiator for a 58-84 gas landcruiser. (part number 180) It appears from their dimensions their gas landcruisers are the same as what I have with the only different is the IN, OUT, and fill neck being on the opposite side. Their price for a 2 core (3 core is an extra $50) is listed as $194. For an extra $60 each side ($120 total) they can modify it to put the fill neck, in and out on the opposite sides. I don't know about the fan shroud or the mounting brackets but I would assume it would all the be the same. Worst case I might have to drill new holes in the brackets.

Another option is they've listed 70-77 ford mavericks on their site as being almost the exact same dimensionally (still fit into the cradle and mount to the shroud). The in and outs are on the correct side for a bj42. You would have to put a notch in your fan shroud where you connect the hoses and drill new holes for the mount. Plus the filler neck is on the top of the tank instead of a bend in it. Might have a clearance issue with your hood. But it's overall about 1/2" shorter and the filler is indented into the tank so it might fit fine.

Just thought I'd share this give someone a chance to weigh in if they had any thoughts. If someone else knows of another one that would fit or is made for the bj42 I'm all ears but so far everything I've seen out there is in the $600+ range or says it fits bj42 when it actually for an fj40. I'm going to order one of the two I listed in the next few days and report back how well it worked.

I fitted their 4 core MCU 180 into my Bj42 LX after doing a 1 UZ swap and after 8 years it is still running perfect, even when towing in 48 deg C temps in the Kalahari ...

I need a new radiator, the old owner had tore off the mounting brackets and it was only set into the cradle resting on the bottom tank! I looked at champion cool. I've used their stuff before and I was very happy with the quality built in the US, 100% aluminum (no plastic tanks), TIG welded, lifetime warranty, and very reasonable prices. They make a radiator for a 58-84 gas landcruiser. (part number 180) It appears from their dimensions their gas landcruisers are the same as what I have with the only different is the IN, OUT, and fill neck being on the opposite side. Their price for a 2 core (3 core is an extra $50) is listed as $194. For an extra $60 each side ($120 total) they can modify it to put the fill neck, in and out on the opposite sides. I don't know about the fan shroud or the mounting brackets but I would assume it would all the be the same. Worst case I might have to drill new holes in the brackets.

Another option is they've listed 70-77 ford mavericks on their site as being almost the exact same dimensionally (still fit into the cradle and mount to the shroud). The in and outs are on the correct side for a bj42. You would have to put a notch in your fan shroud where you connect the hoses and drill new holes for the mount. Plus the filler neck is on the top of the tank instead of a bend in it. Might have a clearance issue with your hood. But it's overall about 1/2" shorter and the filler is indented into the tank so it might fit fine.

Just thought I'd share this give someone a chance to weigh in if they had any thoughts. If someone else knows of another one that would fit or is made for the bj42 I'm all ears but so far everything I've seen out there is in the $600+ range or says it fits bj42 when it actually for an fj40. I'm going to order one of the two I listed in the next few days and report back how well it worked.
Just curious to know if this worked out for you? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom