Aluminum FJ40s -- A Thread to Post Pictures of your Bodies and ask Questions. . . (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Working on mine right now!

20190929_103654.jpg

20190929_103639.jpg

20190929_103630_HDR.jpg

Hi all, been a member for a while, this site is epic for owners. Over the last week I have been installing a full Aqualu tub, and it has gone well. I have around 50-60 hours into it, not done yet but another couple of days and it will be complete - ready to drive with original top and doors. Cutting out the holes in their original places and sizes took ages, and I labeled all the electrical. Still need to remove it all for paint/rhino line, get windshield installed into frame and align the door hinges.

I had to modify my roll cage by cutting off 7” of the back to sit on the aluminum corners - so I can still use the large original back seats. Also something I didn’t count on was removing the muffler as it has to be modified to fit the trunk in - very snug fit, those guys at Aqualu sure made it as big as they could, which I do appreciate!

Couple of questions for those of you who have completed this before:

1: what is the roll of foam tape in the cowl package used for?

2: rear fender flares - where an I get affordable ones, and how have you installed mud flaps?

3: I plan to modify the hardtop posts rather than cutting them off, just seem to need a 1/4” taken off - I feel that these are pretty important for strength, especially if you were ever T-boned... has anyone else done this?

I am sort of rushing this process to get my out of province in BC complete, then later on next year I hope to remove it again and do a proper restoration and paint. I only have to the end of December to get it into BC again otherwise I have to pay tax on my own car (settlers allowance) I sure wish I could have more fun with the build rather than rushing simply to appease the safety guy.

20E17E71-23A2-4444-BDFC-3BE2271E9B9C.jpeg
5E5F4241-5501-4B23-A9DF-EE36C5B28454.jpeg
E803638D-9EC9-4335-9A82-5AB9F0447AD8.jpeg
4D93E74C-9197-491B-BA2C-D5C97E8B4205.jpeg

Hi all, been a member for a while, this site is epic for owners. Over the last week I have been installing a full Aqualu tub, and it has gone well. I have around 50-60 hours into it, not done yet but another couple of days and it will be complete - ready to drive with original top and doors. Cutting out the holes in their original places and sizes took ages, and I labeled all the electrical. Still need to remove it all for paint/rhino line, get windshield installed into frame and align the door hinges.

I had to modify my roll cage by cutting off 7” of the back to sit on the aluminum corners - so I can still use the large original back seats. Also something I didn’t count on was removing the muffler as it has to be modified to fit the trunk in - very snug fit, those guys at Aqualu sure made it as big as they could, which I do appreciate!

Couple of questions for those of you who have completed this before:

1: what is the roll of foam tape in the cowl package used for?

2: rear fender flares - where an I get affordable ones, and how have you installed mud flaps?

3: I plan to modify the hardtop posts rather than cutting them off, just seem to need a 1/4” taken off - I feel that these are pretty important for strength, especially if you were ever T-boned... has anyone else done this?

I am sort of rushing this process to get my out of province in BC complete, then later on next year I hope to remove it again and do a proper restoration and paint. I only have to the end of December to get it into BC again otherwise I have to pay tax on my own car (settlers allowance) I sure wish I could have more fun with the build rather than rushing simply to appease the safety guy.

View attachment 2143409View attachment 2143410View attachment 2143411View attachment 2143412
You can get flares from bushwacker. Tape is for the transmission tunnel. I would just put some thinner tires on with oem steel wheels though rather than put flares on. I think your overthinking the hard top post. Having a roll bar should add enough strength to the b pillar area to make the hard top post non consequential.

I'm ordering my Aqualu tub in a month or so for this beast. I've got a line on some steel replacement panels but with welding, sealing, sanding blah blah I am nearly the same cost as Aqualu and double the hours

Anyways, question:
Does anyone have the video posted that shows the install? All I can find is this PDF from Aqualu's website. I'm especially curious as to how the steel cowl joins the Aqualu tub

20200104_145415.jpg

20200104_145429.jpg

20191213_175858.jpg

Question #2:
I'm loosely considering matching the rest of the body paint to the same color as the polished aluminum, and leaving the tub itself bare...tell me why this is a dumb idea

Change my mind.jpg

I have an Aqualu tub on order that should ship any day. They include Sikaflex sealant to go between the tub and cowl to act as a “gasket” between steel and aluminum.
I’m not sure how long it will be before I’m setting it permanently but will definitely take photos and video.

I'm ordering my Aqualu tub in a month or so for this beast. I've got a line on some steel replacement panels but with welding, sealing, sanding blah blah I am nearly the same cost as Aqualu and double the hours

Anyways, question:
Does anyone have the video posted that shows the install? All I can find is this PDF from Aqualu's website. I'm especially curious as to how the steel cowl joins the Aqualu tub

View attachment 2191203

View attachment 2191204

View attachment 2191205
Looking at the condition of that 40 I would seriously consider a full tub rather than 3/4 tub. Looks like you have rust in the seams of the cowl. The only way to repair that is to drill out the spot welds of the seams, dissasemble the cowl pieces and repair, then weld back together. I would carefully look at the frame too, you may need to replace the frame if its badly rusted, aqualu sells new frames as well. 79 and newer fj40 bodies had poorer quality sheet metal that rusts more readily even if you repair the cowl, so the more of it you replace the less future hassle you will have. Thus why I would consider getting a whole tub. I wouldn't leave it bare because aluminum does corrode, so its better if its coated.

I've got a clean cowl waiting in the wings.

As for the frame...I'll know more once the old tub is removed but I hear what you are saying

They include a DVD with fitting instructions. There was a youtube vid i found once of it also.

I placed my aqualu tub and cowl on the frame with the daystar mounts, and the bend near the bellhousing hits the BH, need to move the body about 5mm forward. Anyone have this issue? Or thoughts? I'm really stumped. Id rather not lift the Body, if i can avoid it.

I’ve been making some solid progress on my ‘77 resto with an Aqualu 3/4 tub. But I’ve run into what seems to be a serious issue. The current status of two steps forward one back is holding true. Might even be one forward and 1.5 back at the moment. The latest issue seems to be the door alignment, which will inevitably also mean the top as well. As you can see in the pic, the door gap at the rear is too wide. Wide as in, at least 5/16ths.

The door striker isn’t even close to engaging the latch. Funny thing is I know for a fact nothing has changed in the door hinge department because they haven’t been touched at all during the tear down. In the second pic you can see the seam between the original cowl and Aqualu tub line up perfectly.

Not really sure what the next step needs to be. I can’t even wrap my mind around how it could be off. All of the body mount holes lined up perfectly when I installed the tub.
35A434F8-E1E7-40F5-9491-97F0FEE95B73.jpeg

image-jpg.2230344

9EF605ED-B8EA-467E-AC02-627F39E1BA85.jpeg

I do not have the hinge bushings installed, but even if I did, we are only talking fractions of an inch of door movement. I haven’t ever removed the hinge plate on the door so the question then must be, is there any adjustment there?

I’m hoping someone has run into this issue and has some words of wisdom on an easy fix or adjustment that I’m not seeing...

image.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone had an issue with the gas tank recess hitting the cross bar? I have the Daystar body mounts, but I also need to lift it with the mounts supplied by Aqualu to clear the cross bar.View attachment 2888343

View attachment 2888344

I would really prefer not to have to lift the whole body for clearance.
This seems to be an ongoing issue with Aqualu. Your tank well seems to be too deep, and mine was 3/8” too shallow. There is another current build going on (can’t remember who), and his tank well is 1/2” too shallow. Any idea how far off your is?

@FJmaine have you actually put your tank in the tub and seen how well the fuel tank cover fits over the top? For me, it fit enough to bolt it down on 3 of the 4 sides. I ended up having to trim off the passenger side tab of the tank cover because it didn’t reach the door jam ledge. Annoying but not the end of the world.

On a side note, modify the OEM Tran tunnel to fit the Aqualu. You’ll thank me later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom