Aluminum cracked wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvazquez53

El Tractor
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
When I crashed last week, I discovered that one of the aluminum wheels had a small crack in the inner lip, about 3/4 inch long. Can this crack be welded? Also the wheel is slightly bent which I'm not too concerned. Reason I like to keep these is the way they are designed, look at the valve stem, perfect for off-road.:hmm:
100_3466-resized.jpg
100_3473-resized.jpg
100_3470-resized.jpg

Last edited:
TIG welding is the best way to weld aluminum from what I have been told. It can be tricky if you don't weld a lot.

Ideally it won't have a tire on it and that area around it will be clean. Down in the crack needs to be clean too.

Were you anywhere close-by I could fix it. What I'd do is this: first grind out the crack, then heat the area around the crack up to maybe a couple hundred degrees. Then I use a stainless steel bristle brush (that has NEVER been used on steel!) to scrub off any oxidation. Weld it, then heat the area back up again, and let it cool in still air. Burying it in sand, at least the weld region, after welding isn't a bad plan either. You want it to cool as slowly as possible.
If you have the tools to do so, V'ing it out is OK, but the wire brush scrub has to happen immediately before welding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom