Alum. Tub install AFTER paint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was reading a resto. article about a guy who had his replacement tub painted PRIOR to being placed on the body. He stated the positives as follows:

1- Allows for the painting/covering of the underside in whatever coating you desire.
2- Gives the alum/steel barrier an additional level due to the fact that the alum body is covered in primer/filler/paint and then joined with the added protectant of the silicone sealer.
3- Speeds up painting

Cons:

Possibility of paint damage when you fit the body.

What do you think?

Jason

I think it is the way to go. A paint job looks better when done in pieces rather than assemblies and like you pointed out it is easy to paint the bottom too. It is what I am planning to do.

nocents

I agree. The way to go. You may have to fix some scrapes. That's just part of it.

That is how I did one. Only one oopps and that was under the seat. I was able to use bedliner on the bottom of the tub to avoid that canoe sound from stones.
MJM

thats how i plan on doing mine also. just make sure you do any major body work with the body bolted to the frame. if not you could have some major alignment problems when you tighten up on the body mounts.

Sounds like a good idea to me, at least prime the entire tub and coat the underside, I wish I had done mine that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom