AluCab awning mounting? solutions requested! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at getting a Prinsu or Bowfin roof rack, but I have concerns about my future plans. I want to get an AluCab shadow awning and I can't find much in the way of elegant/ easy mounting solutions with these racks. Does anyone have this combination or info regarding this setup? I know the frontrunner rack is the easy answer but I don't love the look or how high it sits on the 100.

I would love any and all information and ideas regarding this before I make a decision.

I have searched here and just in general on Google and haven't found many answers.

Thank you in advance for your inputs.
-Jeff

Last edited:
Why not use the Prinsu Awning Mounts?

PrinSu_Design_Studio_Awning_Mount_Bracket_2_2000x.jpg

Will these work with that awning? I didn’t know they had these that would work! Maybe I’ve been looking in the wrong places. It doesn’t list that awning but I’ll have to call and chat with them.
Thank you for posting this very much.

I don't own any of those products so I can't say for sure. But given the weight and design of that awning, I would consider using more than just two mounts. See what Prinsu says.

Ya I’ll ring them up and see, maybe I can add another in the middle or something. Thank you for your input. Maybe someone with that awning will chime in.

@jeffkukuruda what did you decide? I have the prinsu rack on my 80 and a pair of their awning brackets and I'm looking at the Shadow awning wondering if it will work and if I'll need to source fasteners and now an additional mount point? thanks!

For the weight of the Alu Cab awning I would punt on those roof racks and go with Front Runner. I have had my AluCab awning for 3+ years and zero issues

So I talked to prinsu and he said he doesn’t know for sure if their mounts will work, he has no doubts about the strength and supporting it but he said something custom may still be required. I may still go that route and buy a pair of the mounts as a starting point for dedicated shadow awn mounts. I just don’t like the front runner, if it sat lower maybe, but regardless of the old feet or the new rails it just doesn’t jive with me

I am looking at getting a Prinsu or Bowfin roof rack, but I have concerns about my future plans. I want to get an AluCab shadow awning and I can't find much in the way of elegant/ easy mounting solutions with these racks. Does anyone have this combination or info regarding this setup? I know the frontrunner rack is the easy answer but I don't love the look or how high it sits on the 100.

I would love any and all information and ideas regarding this before I make a decision.

I have searched here and just in general on Google and haven't found many answers.

Thank you in advance for your inputs.
-Jeff

Ironically enough I reached out to OK4wd last week since they are an Alu-cab dealer and have them in stock about this exact question. It seems you'll have to come up with a custom solution. I specifically mentioned I know they are somewhat difficult to mount if there is not a mount made specifically for the shadow awn. This was his response:

"You are correct with mounting problems if no specific bracket exists and the Prinsu falls into that category. The big problem is that there is no overhang on the rack so that positions the awning close to the body and top edge of the door. I do not have a solution because we never installed one here at the shop. If you haven't yet purchased a rack I would recommend the Front Runner Slimline II with the corresponding Alu Cab mounting bracket. I run the same setup on my 100 series and it works flawlessly."

I know bomber products makes an awning mount that looks like it could up the awning up a little higher and solve those issues, but short of buying their mounts after you buy a rack and awning there is no way to tell. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your findings, I’ll look into that solution. I may just take the prinsu brackets to the welder I have used around here and get something custom made. I can’t believe that this awning is so hard to mount to anything but a front runner.

Why not just flip the last Prinsu 1x2"extrusion bar to the vertical position so it matches the alu-cab mount? Add a delrin spacer to the end of the mount so it matches the distance on the Prinsu awning mounts.

Related image

That’s a very interesting option, this is the first close up I’ve seen that would allow that! Thank you. How does the front mount work then? Or is it just the rear that is the problem?

That rear corner is the most important as all the awning bars pivot there. The front & middle mounts can be positioned almost anywhere along the awning base.

Ok awesome... so which Alucab bracket is that? The one for the front runner? Or a different one as they have mult options. Thanks again hoser

Some 80/20 parts might work as well:

The linked parts cost between $7.10-$7.68 each

I've used a lot of 80/20 hardware with my frontrunner. All of the measurements are on their website, so it's easy to avoid mistakes.

These might not be as strong and resilient as some of the other options that have been posted.

Heya @jeffkukuruda ...
Did you ever resolve this mounting challenge? I’m thinking about the same thing with my Prinsu, but didn’t see a final resolution here.

Any luck? If so, would love to see what you ended up doing...

M

After banging my head against the wall on this for a while, I ended up going with a front runner rack. It was been a great rack so far and I'm happy with it, as many others are... I have yet to see a Prinsu or similar solution, so it was time to go the other route. Sorry I wasn't able to provide the magic sauce here.

Cheers,
Jeff

Waiting on the delivery of my passenger side AluCab Shadow awning. I don’t use a RTT, and I want to protect the awning (especially the rear) from being torn-off in tight, high angle maneuvers. I’m using 80/20 extruded channel and L brackets, mounted about 45degrees, so when the awning is closed-up, it can be moved 12” towards the center of the vehicle, while still in-line front-to rear. My mounting surface is 1/8” thick aluminum sheet, riveted to my tubular rack over my truck bed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom