Alternators and voltage regulator issue. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope this is the right place for this it’s my first post so please be gentle.

I have a 1983 fj60 and I have currently gone through two voltage regulators. I keep one on for a couple of days and everything is good then I wake up the next morning and it’s not charging.
I do have LED lights and also a battery in the back of my cruiser that is charged through a diode that is supposed to kick on when the main battery is at full charge.

I have a high output alternator on the way from quality power but didn’t know if you guys had any ideas why this could be happening and thank you for any advice.

I thought 60's had inbuilt alt regulators?
Could be a bad diode in the alt. Just a guess.
Or dodgy wiring causing intermittent problems.
So I chanced the regulator first myself and it fixed my problem. Then it went out and I had cruiser solutions put a alternator from a old 60 they had sitting out back and that was 6 days ago and now I’m having the same problem even with a different alt.

Voyage regulators often get fried due to excessive heat. Excessive heat is caused from high current from the alternator trying to charge dead or overly large and discharged battery banks.
That's one explanation at least.

I was told by an alternator repair shop that if I wanted to use an alternator to recharge deeply discharged batteries, I should have a spare alternator with me because it won't last long doing that.

Voyage regulators often get fried due to excessive heat. Excessive heat is caused from high current from the alternator trying to charge dead or overly large and discharged battery banks.
That's one explanation at least.

I was told by an alternator repair shop that if I wanted to use an alternator to recharge deeply discharged batteries, I should have a spare alternator with me because it won't last long doing that.
So I have a 140 amp alt on the way do you think it will be able to pick up the load or should I just get solar panels for my rear battery’s I’m gonna take my rear battery’s off my system today, if what you’re saying is true I probably make a stock alternator work too hard.

So I have a 140 amp alt on the way do you think it will be able to pick up the load or should I just get solar panels for my rear battery’s I’m gonna take my rear battery’s off my system today, if what you’re saying is true I probably make a stock alternator work too hard.

why dont you just install a good proper FJ60 55A alternator

a old used one out back of a cruiser shop is NOT a good idea ?

a aftermarket 140A unit ?

well is all that amps really needed with your low amp draw LED lights .......................NO
\

i Verified NEW or Pre owned unit is the correct path

i dont understand your needed 2nd battery in the rear of the truck

what is that for ?

and why do you have a diode involved ,

is it run in series or parallels circut ?

please explain your factors in more detail and why this set up u have is needed or desired ?

this is a NEW FJ60 2F unit

55A amps

these are extreely relaible units too including the regulators

i will take a leap and predict at the end of the day , you are going to find out one way or another , this hybrid 2nd battery all the way in your cargo compatment is the primary reasin you are having electrical and alternator issues ...........

that's my WAG on this so far ...........

@3_puppies

THis is a NEW Unit , you should consider deleting this 2nd remote battery and simply keeping it all OEM and keeping it real ......

DSCN8435.JPG

DSCN8436.JPG

DSCN8439.JPG

DSCN8445.JPG

DSCN8446.JPG

DSCN8454.JPG

DSCN8456.JPG

DSCN8460.JPG

why dont you just install a good proper FJ60 55A alternator

a old used one out back of a cruiser shop is NOT a good idea ?

a aftermarket 140A unit ?

well is all that amps really needed with your low amp draw LED lights .......................NO
\

i Verified NEW or Pre owned unit is the correct path

i dont understand your needed 2nd battery in the rear of the truck

what is that for ?

and why do you have a diode involved ,

is it run in series or parallels circut ?

please explain your factors in more detail and why this set up u have is needed or desired ?

this is a NEW FJ60 2F unit

55A amps

these are extreely relaible units too including the regulators

i will take a leap and predict at the end of the day , you are going to find out one way or another , this hybrid 2nd battery all the way in your cargo compatment is the primary reasin you are having electrical and alternator issues ...........

that's my WAG on this so far ...........

@3_puppies
The back battery is to run a fridge.

the isolator is there to keep the back battery’s from stealing charge from the front so I don’t have a flat battery.

I tried to find a factory alt that was remaned but it was really hard to source.
I check a lot of vendors but couldn’t find any and this was really the only thing I could find.

A 4.5 Amp solar panel (actively aimed at the sun) will provide enough power to keep an efficient 12V fridge cold day after day after day on sunny days. 8 Amps of solar panels will allow you to mount them flat on the roof (stealth mode) and never have to touch them and you can make the fridge a freezer if you want. It will stay cold forever. Also battery/s will be charged up full by noon.
That's my experience with an ARB fridge and solar panels

A 4.5 Amp solar panel (actively aimed at the sun) will provide enough power to keep an efficient 12V fridge cold day after day after day on sunny days. 8 Amps of solar panels will allow you to mount them flat on the roof (stealth mode) and never have to touch them and you can make the fridge a freezer if you want. It will stay cold forever. Also battery/s will be charged up full by noon.
That's my experience with an ARB fridge and solar panels
I like this I think I’m going to order some panels this afternoon and have them shipped to the campground I’m at

The back battery is to run a fridge.

the isolator is there to keep the back battery’s from stealing charge from the front so I don’t have a flat battery.

I tried to find a factory alt that was remaned but it was really hard to source.
I check a lot of vendors but couldn’t find any and this was really the only thing I could find.

I have a FJ62 80A unit NOS if you still need one ?

27060-61090

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom