Alternator w/2:00 VR, rebuild or replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cheezypoof

SILVER Star
Threads
Intermittent charging issues, battery tests good and most of the time the alt is generating ~14.5V at the B post. Other times it's dropping below 12V, but not very often (yet). I was planning to have the alt rebuilt, and already bought a new VR. But after reading a few threads here I realized my setup isn't normal - the VR's at 2:00 - lots of heat over there which can't be good.

Now I'm thinking it's better to find a reman with the VR at 10:00. If I go that route will I encounter issues with the bracket position and belt length, or should it be a relatively straightforward fit? I would rather not get into replacing the belt because what's there is in good shape.

Here's the current setup
InkedPXL_20201118_010112617_LI.jpg

This picture below shows a stock alternator (the correct one) mounted with a new correct Toyota belt. You can see by where the adjusting lock nut position is where the alternator will sit.

image.jpeg

God, Fred, all your pixs are of trucks 30 years old. :) Sparkly and brand new.
That 2 clocked alt (or a new used one) can be used... if adding a new belt its a pita only because you obviously can't pull the alt in closer to swing the belt over the pulley like you would if it was clocked at 10 so its easiest to use the next size up. My truck came to me with a Cressida alt on it clocked at 2 as well, and I had to use a belt one size up. I've since swapped to a Chevy 140 alt.

Last edited:
God, Fred, all your pixs are of trucks 30 years old. :) Sparkly and brand new.
That 2 clocked alt (or a new used one) can be used... if adding a new belt its a pita only because you obviously can't pull the alt in closer to swing the belt over the pulley like you would if it was clocked at 10 so its easiest to use the next size up. My truck came to me with a Cressida alt on it clocked at 2 as well, and I had to use a belt one size up. I've since swapped to a Chevy 140 alt.

Thanks. I've been searching for a reman OEM as a replacement (then rebuild my existing to have as a backup), so far no joy.

If you get your existing one rebuilt to have as a back up you can have the rebuilder "clock" the alternator move the VR in relationship to the mounting lugs. You could also DIY clock your alternator. Basically it's removing the rear cover and rotating it 120 degrees. But I've never done it, I don't really know how complicated it is.

When I got a replacement alternator it had the VR in the 2:00 position. The VR wouldn't allow the alternator to rotate enough to get a new OEM belt on. But the location of the VR doesn't otherwise impact which belt is used. If you have the OEM-sized belt, you shouldn't have any other issues.

The current unit on @cheezypoof Fj60 is NoT a Land Cruiser

Alternator of any kind ....

It cannot be Clocked or tinkered with in any way to make it correct

in the 1980,sToyota ,s new thing was a IC regulator

well it did not last that longe on any other Vehical platforms but did indeed survive 8/80-9/87 fj60

go figure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom