Alternator upgrade questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

airon23

SILVER Star
Threads
I am in the process of installing my Vintage Air unit when I get to some instructions that more or less say they recommend a 100amp alternator. The minimum is 50 which is what the stock puts out, which is what I believe I have. They say this because of the fact that you may have or add some accessories that will put more draw leaving your current alternator not able to keep up(I think that's how I understand it).
1596222084983.png

So I start searching for options when I come across this from SOR...
1596222141732.png

it basically says it can be way more of a complex swap to a bigger amp alternator and they don't generally suggest it.
Now I'm worried about what else I have to do as a result of changing out the alternator.

I haven't found the best option for which alternator, if you have suggestions please by all means, but what would I have to change out if anything if I went to a larger amp alternator? I am planning on installing a winch in the near future. I realize it would not draw much if anything when not using it but it would be some additional accessory that I worry would affect the charging system.

Any help is much appreciated.

my first 40 had factory power and AC and came with a GM alternator. I bought a used OEM alternator and took it to a local alternator shop to have it rebuilt. If I remember correctly they put larger or upgraded brushes in it allowing it to put out more amps. maybe you can have your alternator beefed up enough support the AC

Aaron, I am by no means an authority on this subject, but I think I would give Mosley Motors a call. I plan on sending my alternator there for a rebuild when the time comes.

I run a winch, halogen headlights, ham and cb radios, a GPS, an air compressor, a stereo amp, and a fridge. Not all at the same time, but I need more power than the stock alternator can put out. I bought and installed a Mean Green 200-amp alternator 9 or 10 years ago and I've been very happy ever since. Besides upgrading my headlight wiring harness when I installed the headlights, I also upgraded all my battery, alternator, and ground cables with way heavier gauge cable and added extra grounds. Replaced the stock ammeter in my gauge cluster with a voltmeter, as the ammeter will not handle that much more current. This setup has worked really well for me.

IMG_0746.JPG

The Mean Green is a hot-rodded GM alternator; you could probably make something close a lot cheaper yourself, but the Mean Green comes with the right pulley, adjustment arm, spacers, etc.

https://www.mean-green.com/LANDCRUISER_c39.htm

I did a gm alternator from a 95 Buick road master. 120 amps bone stock. Easy to install with only minor modifications to your stock bracketry. You will need to run your own wiring though. The stock Toyota stuff will not take that kind of amperage. If you check to FAQ section it will give you ideas on how to wire it. If you need ,I can draw out a diagram and send some pictures of mine.

I did a gm alternator from a 95 Buick road master. 120 amps bone stock. Easy to install with only minor modifications to your stock bracketry. You will need to run your own wiring though. The stock Toyota stuff will not take that kind of amperage. If you check to FAQ section it will give you ideas on how to wire it. If you need ,I can draw out a diagram and send some pictures of mine.
That's the type of thing I'm afraid of and what needs to be changed out and not knowing and then blowing something in the wiring harness.

ran across this when googling... they say it is plug and play which sounds good but is it too good to be true?

Aaron, I am by no means an authority on this subject, but I think I would give Mosley Motors a call. I plan on sending my alternator there for a rebuild when the time comes.
Hmm I'm not familiar with them, but I appreciate the lead. Do they only rebuild alternators or convert to high power alternator?

The alternator only puts out amps according to demand/draw. So there is not much to worry about. Wiring is sized by amp draw. You have big battery cables for the starter draw. Biggest of any component. The alternator output wire should be maybe 8-10 ga. Fuses and fusible links protect the insulation from melting. If there is something special about Toyota, let me know. Probably not. So just get a new 100A and put it in. GM high output 10si or 94 amp 12si is the cheapest and most available. Originally a Delco-Remy.....there are many clones. 1 wire, 3 wire, chrome and fancy. The SOR "service tip" is a bit dramatic. They don't sell alternators because they can't make any money. If they did, they would sell the alternator and give you the same advice about seeking professional advice about the rest of the system. They already have agreed you may need a bigger alternator. Phony baloney excuse.

Rebuilding most alternators is neither an economical nor reliability advantage.

Now-A-Days, a high output alternator is just an alternator.

Last edited:
Agree with the wire sizing .the problem is that the stock wiring is pretty small size wiring for the most part. The biggest issue is the size of wire from the alternator to the battery and using the stock ammeter. If your accessories are spliced into a circuit that doesn’t have large enough wiring to carry the additional load that’s when problems start. Also the ammeter is only rated for 30 amps. So adding on a bunch of stuff through that circuit could pose a problem During heavy demand.
I used all of my stock wiring for just that , all of the stock items that it was born with. All of my add ons are run through a separate fuse and relay panel that is sized accordingly.

The stuff that is already wired has the right size wire. The existing stuff is not going to draw more current. That's the point here. If you add something, use the right size wire. I did say the battery cables need to be big if they are not and the alternator output should be bigger to the distribution point. 8-10 ga. If that is the ammeter or other. If anyone is unsure of a wire, google wire size vs amps.

Hmm I'm not familiar with them, but I appreciate the lead. Do they only rebuild alternators or convert to high power alternator?
I do not know specifically if they build high output alternators, but seeing how they specialize in Land Cruiser alternator rebuilds, and they do beautiful work, I am surmising they would have the knowledge and wisdom to answer your questions. Good luck on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom