Alternator upgrade for FJ62/3FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Stock 80-amp alternator is now dead. Have no desire to go the low-dollar rebuilt route and have the alternator die on the trail. Looking to add reliability and capacity at the same time with minimal modifications(I don't want to remove the air pump). GM and SAE J180 (medium/heavy-duty truck standard) alternators have a shaft too large to accommodate the stock dual pulley, and Mean Green doesn't list one to fit FJ62's.

Any suggestions? I'd like to get to the 100-amp range with maximum reliability.

Sadly I don't think there are any hi amp alts for the 3fe, not sure if the GM would work(like it does on a 2f) Beck Arnly(sp) makes a higher amp alt(stock ND case) but it doesn't put many amps at idle.....so I hear.

Sorry a new OEM stock alt is prolly your best bet.

JohnH

Was considering a new (not reman) Toyota alternator if no new ideas came up here. I have a GM alternator (120-amp, I believe) but the Toyota dual pulley won't fit(and there isn't enough material to enlarge the mounting hole), and the bracketry with the air pump makes a custom mount difficult. Thanks for your input, John.

Anybody got a line on new Toyota alternators?

I have used the re-man Toyota alts twice(for a 3fe) and they are the same as a new alt, I'm not even sure if you can get a "new" alt from Toyota, I beleive they are all re-man and of VERY VERY good quaility.

stay away from rebuilds(as you know), which are not the same a re-man.

John H

[quote author=louaxtjr link=board=1;threadid=5687;start=msg45154#msg45154 date=1064594764]
Was considering a new (not reman) Toyota alternator if no new ideas came up here. I have a GM alternator (120-amp, I believe) but the Toyota dual pulley won't fit(and there isn't enough material to enlarge the mounting hole), and the bracketry with the air pump makes a custom mount difficult. Thanks for your input, John.

Anybody got a line on new Toyota alternators?
[/quote]

CCOT advertises a *NEW* Toyota unit on sale. Probably will order one if nothing comes up this weekend. The truck is apart for now with other work anyway. Won't be wheeling it again until the following weekend.

[quote author=louaxtjr link=board=1;threadid=5687;start=msg45200#msg45200 date=1064602367]
CCOT advertises a *NEW* Toyota unit on sale. Probably will order one if nothing comes up this weekend. The truck is apart for now with other work anyway. Won't be wheeling it again until the following weekend.
[/quote]

it's not new it's a re-man I will almost quantee it. It is a good price but it's not NEW, it's a reman.........but you obvioulsly don't believe me.......so I'll shut up.....na I can't do that......

part number will be 27060-61090 new, $490(list) but its NOT availble as in its been discontinued, the part number switchs over to 27060-61090-84 (the 84 means re-man, same on most if not all reman elect OEM stuff) the reman alt is $324, hmmmmm funny how that is the same retail price the NEW CCOT alt is :D

John H

[quote author=Dinkleberry link=board=1;threadid=5687;start=msg45202#msg45202 date=1064602590]
hey pimp, don't they have any pulley options to get more amps at idle?
[/quote]

no clue

[quote author=Dinkleberry link=board=1;threadid=5687;start=msg45202#msg45202 date=1064602590]
hey pimp, don't they have any pulley options to get more amps at idle?
[/quote]

The stock pulley size is quite small for the belt. I doubt if you could reduce pulley size further on the alternator, though I like the idea of some free extra amps (almost as good as ponies).

Sorry to jump in the question, John.

As for the CCOT unit, yeah, the pricing is oddly remiscent of a conversation I had with the dealer recently. Still, it's a better deal than the dealer and if it's factory reman, it's probably as bulletproof as I'll find.

Lou

had this problem a year ago, and came up with ccot being the best deaL. It is a re-man alternator, but no problems so far. P.s. Wrangler power products told me the had a GM style one that would work with a supplied bracket, but didn't want to hassle with the fitment. I figure my stock ND went 170k miles before kicking it, so the toyota re-man should at least get half of that

[quote author=erfworm link=board=1;threadid=5687;start=msg45276#msg45276 date=1064613806]
had this problem a year ago, and came up with ccot being the best deaL. It is a re-man alternator, but no problems so far. P.s. Wrangler power products told me the had a GM style one that would work with a supplied bracket, but didn't want to hassle with the fitment. I figure my stock ND went 170k miles before kicking it, so the toyota re-man should at least get half of that
[/quote]

the re-man Toyota is as good as new and will last just as long in my experence.

yeah I forgot about Wrangler, heard something last year but no one ever did it. I offered Wrangler to use mine to a test dummy, I even offered to bring my 80 to them to see it it really fits.....they didn't take me up on my offer :(

John

Mean Green does indeed have a direct drop in alternater for FJ62's rated at 120 amps. :D The price that I got was approx $360. I've gone both ways on local rewinds and Toyota remanufactured and had much better service from the Toyota parts. FWIW the problem seems to be with the IC voltage regulator not the stator, armature or brushes. I've heard that the shortfall of the Toyota alternator is low amps at idle where as the GM option is rated at 65 amps.

Just my humble opinion.

Ming

89FJ62 - 173k miles
78FJ55 - 81k miles

well color me wrong, I just called Mean Green(cause I didn't beleive it) and yes they do have a 140 amp alt for the 88-92 3fe, it's only been out a short time.......thats why I didn't know :D

4x4Connection has a sale, $300......but they don't list the 3fe alt.

John h

I contacted MG Industries (manufacturer of Mean Green products) and was referred to 4x4connection. Will let you know when I receive a reply. Glad I didn't rush out and order a Toyota unit if I can get double the output for a few bucks more. I'll let you know when/if I get my hands on a FJ62/3FE version. Thanks for the info Ming and John.

Lou

Definitely please post what happens re: MG. There are quite a few of us out here who would like a better 3FE alternator. 8)

[quote author=louaxtjr link=board=1;threadid=5687;start=msg46025#msg46025 date=1064880979]
I contacted MG Industries (manufacturer of Mean Green products) and was referred to 4x4connection. Will let you know when I receive a reply. Glad I didn't rush out and order a Toyota unit if I can get double the output for a few bucks more. I'll let you know when/if I get my hands on a FJ62/3FE version. Thanks for the info Ming and John.

Lou
[/quote]

sorry bout that :doh: glad Ming spoke up, 1st I heard of it, GLAD to know. If it we me I would upgrade as well.....would have years ago if there had been an upgrade.

John H

4x4connection says for $379.00 you can have a 140-amp Mean Green, but said the offering was limited. MG hasn't decided whether to offer it as a regular item, and that is why there is no listing on the web site. Evidently they have been unable to get their typical 200-amps out of a stock - sized and mounted unit. Anyone interested may want to call soon to get your order in.

There is an upgrade for the 3F-E alternator. Go to mean green alternators or to Man a Fre, I got one for my 91 80 series. Its a very good alternator 140 amps instead of the stock 80 amp.
Its is a bit expensive $400 or around that but trust me its worth it. The only thing is that the bolt for the alternator is not long enough for the Mean Green but no big deal.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom