Alternator took a s**t (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took a trip to Bishop early September, everything went great on the way up there. The cruiser did its thing and was getting 16 smiles per gallon :). Getting ready to leave, pack up camp, start my car and hear a subtle buzzing sound. I try not to freak out, at that point I just wanted to make it home.

I made it home! But the buzzing sound was significantly more noticeable. Tried hitting the pulleys with PB blaster but no avail. I had a strong feeling it was my alternator.

Yesterday while I was at lunch, I parked and smelled a burnt electronic smell and yup it was me. s***! Luckily I was near Toyota and took it to them. Can’t wait till she’s done. I miss her already.

A couple weeks ago my service timing belt and battery light flashed, didn’t think much of it at the time. Next day took the wife and in laws 4x4ing and once we hit the summit the lights had come back on and stayed solid. Was able to start the vehicle and turn off all accessories and get us back off the mountain and then home with just battery. Was mildly embarrassed because I always rave about how reliable the truck is. At least it didn’t leave us stranded on the mountain top. Ended up taking the alternator apart and repairing it with a new set of brushes.

A couple weeks ago my service timing belt and battery light flashed, didn’t think much of it at the time. Next day took the wife and in laws 4x4ing and once we hit the summit the lights had come back on and stayed solid. Was able to start the vehicle and turn off all accessories and get us back off the mountain and then home with just battery. Was mildly embarrassed because I always rave about how reliable the truck is. At least it didn’t leave us stranded on the mountain top. Ended up taking the alternator apart and repairing it with a new set of brushes.
Wait, there is a "service timing belt" light?!

Glad you made it back. I too felt embarrassed for the very same reason. In fact, I kept it to myself other than wifey about the hiccup. Don't need anyone giving me crap

I just got a remanufactured alternator, runs great now. Now I need to do the preventative maintenance- like water pump, timing belt, etc. Thats pretty much it!

Wait, there is a "service timing belt" light?!

Glad you made it back. I too felt embarrassed for the very same reason. In fact, I kept it to myself other than wifey about the hiccup. Don't need anyone giving me crap

I just got a remanufactured alternator, runs great now. Now I need to do the preventative maintenance- like water pump, timing belt, etc. Thats pretty much it!

The service T-belt light isn't on the US cruisers for some reason. Just Canada and overseas.

Its lame, I know. Interval is 9 years/90k miles.

It would be good to have the service timing light. Alas.

Lol yes it was on my HDJ101. I’m sure the alternators are different as well, your issue seems like it was an internal ground fault or voltage regulator fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom