Alternator Set Bolt Stripped....Now What? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gretsch

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all. So I managed to strip the top tension set bolt threads on my 60 series alternator. This is the bolt on top that sets the position of the alternator. Not the tensioner bolt itself, but the bolt that locks the alternator into position once the tension has been set. Screws into body of alternator. Its the funny bolt that has both threads and a smooth section for the tensioner bracket to slide on. I was tightening it to lock the Alternator into position while troubleshooting low voltage reading on the dash and it let go. I think the threads in the alternator case the bolt fits into are whats messed up as I pulled the bolt out and the threads on there look fine. I am wondering what my options are now that I have done this. A few that come to mind are:

Helicoil in the alternator case to fix threads. Any chance this can be done with Alternator still in truck?

new bolt with nut on the back to tighten. Not sure if this is possible. I could see threads being messed up where the tensioner slides on the bolt

New Alternator - Found this one from Camelback. I have not confirmed its real however. Are the alternators still available from dealers or is this not real.

I am considering the new alternator as I was having some low voltage readings on the volts guage after having some really high ones. I was troubleshooting tension thinking that was the issue and I am worried the alternator mechanics are going out. It seemed fine before but then it was showing like 14 volts on the guage for a bit then just dropped to under 12 so wondering if this thing is going out and should replace to fix everything at once.

I would appreciate any advice from the experts here as to next steps. Thanks.

new bolt with nut on the back to tighten. Not sure if this is possible.

This.

Slip the tensioner doohicky off the set bolt, thread an M8 nut on there, slip doohicky back on, continue troubleshooting.

I just replaced my Alternator and thought I had the same problem, but after fooling with it I realized the hole in the alternator wasn't lining up exactly with the slot on the bracket. I loosened the top bolt of the two bolts on the bracket and I was able to wiggle it then the screw went right in

So went with the nut on the back option. Seems to have fixed me up for now. Maybe I'll do something else down the road buy for now this gets it done.

Has anyone used the Helicoil idea on one of these?

Also I had the alternator tested and its putting out 14 volts. So the low voltage reading is at the guage I guess or I have a short somewhere maybe? Thoughts?

Slick option would be weld nut to tensioner tongue. You won’t need 2 wrenches to work it...

Not the rod of the tensioner, but the tongue of the nut on the tensioner. Where the locking bolt stick thru it... instead of floating the new nut...

Not the rod of the tensioner, but the tongue of the nut on the tensioner. Where the locking bolt stick thru it... instead of floating the new nut...

So you mean weld a nut on the little tongue part of the tensioner nut thing that normally slides on the end of the alternator set bolt. Then you could run the set bolt through the alternator case, thread it into the welded tongue nut, and tighten the whole thing down. That's a nice idea I had not considered. This way you would still just need one socket to loosen the alternator and the tensioner tongue would be lined up properly when the assembly was tightened down. The nut idea I am using now is nice in that if you ever strip it again you can just replace the nut. But trying to tighten that thing up does require multiple wrenches. You could do the same I suppose with the nut on the tensioner idea. Cut old off and weld new one on. Interesting thought. I'll think on that some. Good stuff. Thanks everyone.

Incidentally, the voltage reading is back up where it used to be. Must have been a fluke thing. Going to let it ride for now. Again, thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom