Alternator rebuilding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all.

Just priced out a brushkit/Voltage regulator kit for my 85 Landcruiser BJ60......

$140!!!!!!!!!

Now, I know I'm cheap, but come on! 2 carbon brushes and a voltage regulator? $140? :confused:

Does anybody know if it is easy to bypass the internal regulator and wire up a external regulator that does not cost an arm and a leg?

does anybody know the approx. dimensions of the brushes?

Also, Is there anything special about these brushes that I shouldn't just get brushes from another alternator rebuild kit and file them to size and install??

Thanks guys (and gals)

josh

must be the VR that is getting you...
Around here, you can buy brushes intended for other things (I got some from an angle grinder) for *cheap*. I think it cost me about $3 to fix my wiper motor a while ago.

Are you sure that the VR is shot? if the brushes are pooched, it might look like the VR but not be. Just trying to be an optimist!

I bought brushes only from Toyota and they weren't expensive (can't remember the price right now). What cost me money was the 250W soldering iron to solder the brush wires back on. They attach with a stranded copper wire which act like a good heat sink.
GG

Brushes are cheap, but I paid $100 for anew 24V external regulator for my BJ74. Also went with a new brush holder which I had to get from japan, wasn't available over here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom