Alternator Queston (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what would be normal out put on my hj60 24volt alternator .Right now all I get is 27.3 max I though it shuold be about 28.4 I dont know first time owning 24volt diesel

1HD-T Alternator Readings ..

Hi guys ..

I recently installed a provisional V reader in Marilu and see at cold start ( cold engine ) 13.6 - 13.8 V ( that looks " normal " ) maybe a little low ..

At luch with a hevay hot day and sun otthere ( 32 - 34ºC ) with both AC ( front and rear ) at full see 13.2 - 13.4 V .. but If I use the lights goes down to 12.8 V aprox ..

All still function fine .. just to know if it looks normal or need to think in a alternator rebuild or a good excuse for a new one with 120 amps .. :D

kcleits,

27.6 to 28.8v would be normal. This represents .3 to .4v over nominal of each cell in the batteries.
Your reading (27.3v) is a little under, but if your batteries are healthy and charged up, the reading sounds acceptable.
For a test you can discharge your batteries using the headlights and after say, 4 hours run the test again. The depleted batteries should cause the charging system to put more voltage out to replenish the batteries.

Tapage,

Your charging system output is low! But I guess if you have no problems...

Rick

Triying to put more charge in the sistem seems to really no afect it when I'm driving at normal temp .. but under heavy traffic seems to go low ..

I have no problems right now with my starter ( rebuild few moth ago ) and the others function of my cruiser .. but I thought for peace of mind I will send my alternator for check.

Just not sure if I have a external V regulator box ..

anycase thanks for your answer ..

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom