Alternator Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i still hover from 12 to 14 volts

Charge Question

You can't trust the factory guages. First thing I do after getting any cruiser is put some real mechanical guages on it and leave the factory guages hooked up. That way I have two guages for ater temp, oil pressure and volts. The factory guages are good as bakups. but the added guages will tell you whats really going on. On my 60 my factory guage showed 10 volts a lot with lights on and a turn signal going - while my added volt guage shows almost 12.8. Same with oild pressure and water temp. Only takes aboy 1 hour to install a $50.00 guage set. Cheap Insurance! :cheers:

My meter with front and rear wipers headlights and the radio reads out at 8-9. When I flip the AUX lights on it drops down to 7....
I think I am going to get a volt meter and test it that way before I replace the alt, and or the regulator. I am also thinking of setting stuff up with a second battery.

My meter with front and rear wipers headlights and the radio reads out at 8-9. When I flip the AUX lights on it drops down to 7....
I think I am going to get a volt meter and test it that way before I replace the alt, and or the regulator. I am also thinking of setting stuff up with a second battery.

definatly check it at the battery with a volt meter before you go buying a new alt-

also, most auto parts stores will check your alternator on a machine. so if you get low readings your can have them test it (easy enough to pull it there if you have to), if it is ok you may have some wiring issures.

The headlight wiring on these 25+ year old vehicles is expically prone to become inefficent, and i have found that the wiper motors seem to put some of the greatest loads on the lectrick system...

hth

swamp60

Last edited:
check your fusable links... where they plug into the main wiring harness ... I have seen bad connections here causing low voltage here during high current conditions ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom