Alternator problem kicking my a$$ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Vehicle:
Fj62
2H
12v
Two batteries- not isolated
Wilson switch
Factory alternator connected as vacuum pump
GM "One-wire" Alternator connected to driver's side battery

Problem:
My glow relay (ford starter junk) started giving me trouble and I was having starting issues. It would no start and just crank because my glow system wasnt working. This was about 3 weeks ago. After it would start I could watch my volt meter showing the batteries charging. I installed a new 200A continuous rated relay. Truck starts great but I it seemed to be cranking slowly. When I installed the relay I also noticed the started connection on the passenger terminal was poor so I installed a new terminal.

The problem continued and I finally noticed according to my volt meter I was not charging. I got my little cheater box and it said the regulator was shot. I called the local parts store and purchased a Delco 10si. I got it delivered and clocked it. When I got home I connected it. Batt to the wire that was on the old one-wire, terminal two to the batt for constant 12v and then I connected #1 to switched 12v. No charge. I pulled it apart and the rotor and stator seemed ok. When I would full-field it the voltage would jump from 11.9 to 13.5 then back down to 12.5 and then 11.9 in about two seconds. I took it back to the store and bench tested it. Bad diodes.

I figured I would upgrade and turned it in and got a 12si 94A. I went home and hooked it up, no charge. Took it back and bench tested it, all good.

The wiring is super simple but for some reason it wont work. I have put jumper cables to the ground. I have jumpered to my car for another good battery. I have built a switched wire with a diode and resistor and I have tried it with a light, no go. Everything is the same as before but I just have to turn on the regulator. I have tried full-fielding this one but I dont get any change. If I hook my car up while running it jumps to 13.5v so the batteries seem ok and there is no draw. Right now I have an idiot light hooked up and it operates correctly, key on - light on, start truck - light off.

Wiring : http://www.hitupmyspot.com/s/image/...jpg/title/10SI+and+12SI+alternator+wiring.htm

I went back out tonight and with it nice and quiet outside I can hear the engine bog as the alt kicks in. The voltage will jump from 11.9 to 12.2 or so. I am starting to think I may need new batteries. I was trying not to replace them since the alt was much cheaper. The truck has two Optima deep-cycle marine batteries in it but I am not going to put those back in, too expensive. My only problem with this is that when I jumped my IS300 to the truck the voltage went to 13.5 so I dont see why this alt will not do that even when it tests good.

Last edited:
Could be one of the batteries is dying, pull the cables and check the voltage of each battery seperately. This happened to my first set of Optimas. Worth checking

Rather than drive yourself nuts, I would find someone with those fancy battery/charge system checkers that will pinpoint the problem. The electricians where I work have them and it has saved me much grief and dollars that I did not need to spend.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom