alternator or generator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm not familiar with the external voltage regulator and was wondering... an easy test for charging is to pull the pos batt cable while the engine is running, if its charging it will continue to run. Does this hold true with the external regulator? Reason I ask is my Alternator is putting out 13 at the alt, but my gauge in the dash of my '69 is reading negative. I just put a new reg and same thing. Increasing RPM's moves the needle on the gauge a little in the right direction but still not into the positive side. Where can I place a multi meter to check if I'm actually charging? When I disconnect the batt cable the motor dies. Where do I go from here?

You can put yout meter right on the battery posts. Check battery voltage with the engine off. ( a fully charged battery will be around 12.5v) Start the engine and retest, if it is more than your battery voltage, the gauge should reading positive. If the voltage drops with the engine running, given what you have already checked/replaced, it is time to look at wiring.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom