Alternator near Nashville? (Real time help) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyFish

GOLD Star
Threads
Website
twitter.com
Hey Mud,
I’m doing something stupid. I bought a 340k mike Cruiser in DC and I’m driving it back to Texas. I’m near Nashville and I think my alternator just gave out. Any suggestions?

I’ve owned 80’s for about 5 years but this is my first 100.

my first thought is to do what I’ve seen in roadkill, buy a small gas generator and a charger and get home that way.

any help or advice appreciated

Larry

Last edited:
If you decide to tackle it yourself:

Well that certainly sucks! Do you have any basic hand tools with you? Wouldn't be particularly fun, but it could be swapped in a parking lot if you can find one in stock somewhere today.

I was surprised that the Grand Junction, CO Napa and Autozone had them in stock when the one in my friend's 100 died.
So getting one might be easy. It took us a little over two hour to swap it in, we had a full set of tools..

This is my solution for now. HarborFreight ftw. Advance auto parts in murphysboro has one in stock so I’m headed there.

thanks!
1602446346536.jpeg

How does that all work, recharge the battery continuously or??

How does that all work, recharge the battery continuously or??

that’s my thinking. I’ve seen it done on drag week and roadkill. never tried it before.

Seems like a backwards way of doing it. I would think the money you spent on that will outpace the alt replacement. Not like this is a perm fix, you'll still have to spend money on a repair later. Have stopped at a parts store and tested the alt? Its free at Oriellys.

I think I'd try and swap the alternator, but hey 'when in Rome'.

How does the A/C work?
c3c2f3371febc50cbbd6f8ec78718a38.jpg

It's a 2 hr job. Mostly 14mms and you can do it all on your back.

1- Serpentine belt off
2- 3 bolts on the PS pump
3 - 2 bolts on the alternator.
4 - get fiddly and take it out the bottom.

Reverse for install.

It's a 2 hr job. Mostly 14mms and you can do it all on your back.

1- Serpentine belt off
2- 3 bolts on the PS pump
3 - 2 bolts on the alternator.
4 - get fiddly and take it out the bottom.

Reverse for install.

Step 0 - disconnect battery, damm big spark if you don't. :bang:

3B - Unbolt big wire and figure out latch on connector.

Most portable gen-sets will NOT put out enough DC amperage to do you any good. You could use it to power a battery charger to charge the battery (maybe that is what you are doing) but its a convoluted way to solve your problem IMO.

Change out the alternator. See if you can find a replacement 'connector' while you are at it or be VERY careful disconnecting the one on there now. They tend to get brittle and fall apart when disconnecting.

Mischief managed. Thanks for the guidance folks. I had the new alternator put in at a shop in Arkadelphia, Arkansas this morning and got home this evening. I enjoyed my first 1500 miles in a 100, except for that electricity problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom