Alternator just went out on me but it is only 1yr old. WTF?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got my alternator replaced with an OEM reman toyota alterantor last year around this time. Today I was driving and felt the cruiser all of a sudden like rumbling and shaking and saw the rpm was fluctuating high to low so I stopped the truck and let it idle but wouldn't hold it and car just died. Tried to start but No cranking at all. Waited for engine to cool and tried again but NO luck. Got AAA to tow me home with the car and he told me it was the alternator that was bad. The guy got it strated using a booster pack and showed me how the alternator was bad and how it can't hold up idle. I just got this dam thing replcaed last year and now it broke on me??? BTW- Got all new belts installed just 2 days before this happened. Could the fact that I have a reman alternator caused this prob or the replacing to new belts. Need some advice. Thank You

Last alt. I had fail was because I was using a plasma cutter w/o the batt. disconnected. I'll never do that again.

As long as it's not working throw a cgarge on the batt. so it'll run good and give it a few taps with a hammer to see if somethings lodged in there and that's got mine going before. DOn't beat the living crap out of it. Just some light taps to see if it'll kick in again. It's free and you won't hurt it.

Dust, water and mud can make those thing not work real welll sometimes.

Since the alternator change, I have 141k miles on the truck. Now I have 144k miles. Only 3k miles on the dam thing. Some people told me to check the fusible link inside near the drivers side????? SOme told me to tap it like you said.

where did you get it from? I had one go out every year when I use to get them from checker. Always in CO in the winter with go garage either....it wasn't much fun changing an alt in my 40 when it was 15deg and snowing either!

My Mech got the part from his toyota parts source. It was an OEM reman made by Denso. I heard Denso was a good brand thas why he got that for me.

Denso is good, could have been poorly reman...or some other problem all together. I know not really any help.

Denso is a good brand and you could be correct. I will call my mech and see what he says. Hopefully there is a warranty or something where I dont have to pay $$$ except for labor. Since I've gotten the truck. I've replaced so many things already that its really ticking me off.

Maybe during the belt change something got disconnected, or a frustrated mechanic decided to bang on the unit with a hammer to get enough slack to get the new belts on.

What kinds of things are you constantly replacing, or what different things have needed replacing?

DougM

92FJ said:
Got my alternator replaced with an OEM reman toyota alterantor last year around this time. Today I was driving and felt the cruiser all of a sudden like rumbling and shaking and saw the rpm was fluctuating high to low so I stopped the truck and let it idle but wouldn't hold it and car just died. Tried to start but No cranking at all. Waited for engine to cool and tried again but NO luck. Got AAA to tow me home with the car and he told me it was the alternator that was bad. The guy got it strated using a booster pack and showed me how the alternator was bad and how it can't hold up idle. I just got this dam thing replcaed last year and now it broke on me??? BTW- Got all new belts installed just 2 days before this happened. Could the fact that I have a reman alternator caused this prob or the replacing to new belts. Need some advice. Thank You

The new belts may have been tightened too much and wiped out the alt or maybe too loose and are slipping. also like stated before something may have been knocked off when the belts were replaced since the 3FE alt hides and getting to the bolts are more "feel" then seeing.
I did have to replace the one in my 92 at about 90k (got the truck with 82k)and when I pulled it ,it was a ND remaned Toyota unit. I put another one on it and the truck now has 130k and been fine since .
As for the warranty if its Toyota remaned, its a year .

HTH some

Last edited:
Maybe I dont understand the situation. if the alt goes out the truck continues to run on battery power until the batt dies. What makes you think it is the alt? Get the truck running and meter the B+ terminal ont he back of the alt. You should get 13.5+v from it then check the main batt feed and see if you are getting it there. Most auto stores will test alts for free.

dd113 said:
Maybe I dont understand the situation. if the alt goes out the truck continues to run on battery power until the batt dies. What makes you think it is the alt? Get the truck running and meter the B+ terminal ont he back of the alt. You should get 13.5+v from it then check the main batt feed and see if you are getting it there. Most auto stores will test alts for free.

I am with Dearborn (YIKES! ;) ) I don't know I would put 100% of my trust in a AAA tow truck driver. Check it out further or have a qualified shop/auto parts store do it.

When I got the belts changed, I was watching the mechanic do it closely and he wasnt hitting the alternator and all he was using was the tools to put the belts on. Im convinced its the Alternator because when the AAA guys came, he got his battery pack and he got the truck fired up. He told me to turn the headlights on and watch. He pulled one of the cables and the lights slowly dimmed and truck died. Battery New but now don't know if it is dead now. He told me it was the Alternator.

Ok just checked the battery and looks weak althoug its new. It has the little window with a color that tellyou if batt is good or not. Color green means its good. But the color isnt green so its weak now. \

def sounds like you need a new alternater to me. so either a connection is bad or you most def need a new one.

Fuse links

Check the 3 fuse links; they have been known to fail, or open the circuit between the Alt. & Battery.( This is the MAIN fuse link in the FSM). If this happens the Alt voltage will go up fast and blow the diodes in the Alt. I.E., no charge on the battery. A red light on the dash may show up if this is the case. The cruiser will run for a short while and then, with the battery voltage dropping, sputter to a stop.

dfm

My mech came to my house today and disassembled the alternator and tested it. Its def the alt and its needs to be exchanged. It is still under warranty, thank god.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom