Alternator issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2002 LX470 205xxx. A few weeks ago I drove across the country and about 100 miles in, the alternator started making a squeaking sound and the volt gauge on my scan gauge showed 12.5v at idle, in gear, headlamps on. Normally it would sit at 14.3 regardless. Figured I’d pick a new alternator up from the parts store in the event it totally went out. Any time the engine was off idle, voltage ranged between 13.3 and 14.2. New interstate battery installed a few weeks prior. The truck managed to complete the 5000 mile trip + some off roaring with no issues. A finally got around to installing the new alternator today. Big surprise, same issue present. Going to find a reman denso like I should have from the start. I’ve never seen a the battery light illuminate on the dash, just the low voltage on the scan gauge. I would rebuild the alternator, but it’s a new looking aftermarket unit.
Voltage readings match from the scan gauge, batt terminals and ground to gen+.

Does anyone here have a scangauge volt reading at hot idle with max loads on? Defrost, A/C, brights etc?

On another note, this is a very simple install.
- remove air box
- remove belt
- unbolt ps pump (pull all the hoses and unit forwards)
- unbolt coolant overflow and position
- remove timing belt cover
- unbolt genny
- lift out the top

FE344C43-33B8-414C-8761-3CAA24CA5871.jpeg

69C2DD98-6789-43C1-ACB6-5B943C1220E3.jpeg

@Mchodl Where in Ohio are you? In Dayton there is a shop called Dayton Quality Starter who rebuilds OEM alternator and starters. I had mine rebuilt in the winter and it was about $125. When they were done, it looked brand new.

As for ScanGaugeII data, that varies from vehicle to vehicle. but for me I see around 14V at start up and it settles to anywhere from 13.3-13.7V during driving. If you search, you will find lots of data on the subject.

Last edited:
We’ll… we were driving through Pendleton, Oregon yesterday in my 06 LC, after my alternator was struggling to charge all day. The first day of a two week trip out camping and heading towards Wyoming and Montana. Battery finally ran out of juice and killed engine in a downtown hotel parking lot. Was a hot rod convention in town, and that hotel lot was the after party, so lots of advice both sober and not. Fun place to break down!

O’ Reilly is the only thing open this Sunday morning, and they have their brand alternator in stock that supposedly fits an 06 Land Cruiser. I’ve never done an alternator change (nor really any other engine work) but willing to try - have tools and general technical ability

Other option is to drive 35 miles on Monday to a Toyota service center nearby and have a Toyota alternator put in. I got the battery on shore-power at the hotel and it will likely have 100% charge by tomorrow. How long would a full battery run without any alternator input If I minimized the current draws from headlights and so forth???

Trying to decide which to do.

We’ll… we were driving through Pendleton, Oregon yesterday in my 06 LC, after my alternator was struggling to charge all day. The first day of a two week trip out camping and heading towards Wyoming and Montana. Battery finally ran out of juice and killed engine in a downtown hotel parking lot. Was a hot rod convention in town, and that hotel lot was the after party, so lots of advice both sober and not. Fun place to break down!

O’ Reilly is the only thing open this Sunday morning, and they have their brand alternator in stock that supposedly fits an 06 Land Cruiser. I’ve never done an alternator change (nor really any other engine work) but willing to try - have tools and general technical ability

Other option is to drive 35 miles on Monday to a Toyota service center nearby and have a Toyota alternator put in. I got the battery on shore-power at the hotel and it will likely have 100% charge by tomorrow. How long would a full battery run without any alternator input If I minimized the current draws from headlights and so forth???

Trying to decide which to do.

Not very long....as little as 15-20 minutes depending on battery type and condition. Maybe 30-40 minutes tops....IF you are lucky.

Put some type of alternator on it.....even if you swap it out later and keep for a spare.

Incredible turn of events just now… a saint of a man named Thomas at O’Reilly in Pendleton not only had my alternator, but went into the back room with his boss (presumably to ask for permission to help me) and came back out with a cart of wrenches and said “we’re going to get you fixed up.” He spent the next 30 minutes sweating into my engine in 90 deg heat, and swapping it out from the top. He taught me how to do it next time.
Between this amazing human, and Nirmal Singh (every calls him “Happy”), the Sikh owner of the Americas Best Value Inn downtown, who let us camp in his hotel parking lot, my wife and I are back on the road, overwhelmed with gratitude for regular Oregonians helping other Oregonians in need, and knowing we’ll that the journey IS the destination.

Incredible turn of events just now… a saint of a man named Thomas at O’Reilly in Pendleton not only had my alternator, but went into the back room with his boss (presumably to ask for permission to help me) and came back out with a cart of wrenches and said “we’re going to get you fixed up.” He spent the next 30 minutes sweating into my engine in 90 deg heat, and swapping it out from the top. He taught me how to do it next time.
Between this amazing human, and Nirmal Singh (every calls him “Happy”), the Sikh owner of the Americas Best Value Inn downtown, who let us camp in his hotel parking lot, my wife and I are back on the road, overwhelmed with gratitude for regular Oregonians helping other Oregonians in need, and knowing we’ll that the journey IS the destination.

Excellent. Bet that wouldn't have happened in Portland.

I would NEVER leave bolts, washers, nut or any foreign matter on the intake side of the air filter. You forget it and start... good bye engine.

I would NEVER leave bolts, washers, nut or any foreign matter on the intake side of the air filter. You forget it and start... good bye engine.
You’re talking about my engine bay parts tray, man.

@Mchodl Where in Ohio are you? In Dayton there is a shop called Dayton Quality Starter who rebuilds OEM alternator and starters. I had mine rebuilt in the winter and it was about $125. When they were done, it looked brand new.

As for ScanGaugeII data, that varies from vehicle to vehicle. but for me I see around 14V at start up and it settles to anywhere from 13.3-13.7V during driving. If you search, you will find lots of data on the subject.
If you go full load (brights, front and rear blower at max, defrost etc in gear at a stop does it ever drop below 13v? I’ve dug through the posts I count find but nothing this specific. I did see something about the genny not pulling full current when the battery is charged and this issue didn’t start until I installed a new interstate battery.

Oregon does have some great peeps. Great success story

If you go full load (brights, front and rear blower at max, defrost etc in gear at a stop does it ever drop below 13v? I’ve dug through the posts I count find but nothing this specific. I did see something about the genny not pulling full current when the battery is charged and this issue didn’t start until I installed a new interstate battery.

No. I have not observed the voltage dropping below the low 13V's, while increasing the electrical loads.

No. I have not observed the voltage dropping below the low 13V's, while increasing the electrical loads.
Good to know. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom