Alternator Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

I am having some issues with my crusiers alternator and I need to get a replacement. Have checked with Toyota but I understand the part is no longer available.

Any idea what I should do or where I can source one from?

I have rebuilt my original alternator but prefer to keep it as a spare. I often travel to remote locations and in very harsh conditions.

I managed to speak to DC Power Inc just now and they have the exact unit that I am looking for. It is a 180A alternator built in the US using Denso parts.

IT will also be a straight fit and the connection is exactly as original.

Any comments?

Even though denso is owned by Toyota, the parts Denso makes for Toyota is far far far superior compared to denso products made to others. An example is my 97 4runner (Hilux Surf) still got OEM alternator at 216 K miles and no issues what so ever, while my cousins Honda Pilot with a denso alternator failed COMPLETELY at 100K miles.

Why not get OEM brush kit into your Landcruiser? Inspect the commutator, if worn, get a new brass/copper sleeves at a local machine shop. Keep a new rectifier plate (diode) to use in emergency. The only other part that can fail is the bearings, get those two done with OEM toyota bearings.

I've had no issues with buying the Toyota OEM reman, the price is fair and it is just as good as new.

On my 2002 US spec

REMAN ALTERNATOR
Part # 270605026084

Hi Guys,

I am having some issues with my crusiers alternator and I need to get a replacement. Have checked with Toyota but I understand the part is no longer available.

Any idea what I should do or where I can source one from?
New Toyota Denso alternator can still be had...for about $700. Most of us just buy a Remanufactured Denso for $150 instead.

New Toyota Denso alternator can still be had...for about $700. Most of us just buy a Remanufactured Denso for $150 instead.
Where would i be able to buy a new alternator. Have searched and searched but with no luck...

This option would be my first choice. The cost is not really a barrier

Even though denso is owned by Toyota, the parts Denso makes for Toyota is far far far superior compared to denso products made to others. An example is my 97 4runner (Hilux Surf) still got OEM alternator at 216 K miles and no issues what so ever, while my cousins Honda Pilot with a denso alternator failed COMPLETELY at 100K miles.

Why not get OEM brush kit into your Landcruiser? Inspect the commutator, if worn, get a new brass/copper sleeves at a local machine shop. Keep a new rectifier plate (diode) to use in emergency. The only other part that can fail is the bearings, get those two done with OEM toyota bearings.
It is the rectifier plate that failed on the alternator. I have already got it replaced but this is the 2nd time the same thing has happened in a span of 7 months. This is the reason i want to make sure i have a spare unit as servicing the alternator in the middle of the African bush can be troublesome. It is easier to just remove and change the part

Where would i be able to buy a new alternator. Have searched and searched but with no luck...

This option would be my first choice. The cost is not really a barrier
Partsouq has *new* alternator for 98-02 HDJ100 for USD $542

Photo of label showing that it’s new, not remanufactured or rebuilt:
06E56217-A297-42FD-BC27-984B7BA5BAB8.jpeg

0F826EA2-84F5-445F-9003-54192F0F93A4.jpeg

Sorry guys, my mistake. The alternator is for a 2006 Landcruiser 100 series V8 2UZ-FE engine

His/your problem also is that the rectifier on those ones can't be just swapped in, slip rings either. Unless you're deep into electrical no one is replacing those in the backyard and carrying on.
ALthough, a new rotor assembly is 110USD

Yes... This is the issue. There is a company locally that can service the alternator and they have all the testing equipment but my confidence in them is not so high. This is the reason I would rather maintain the original alternator as a spare so if I am in trouble I can swap it out.

So I was trying to get the clubs opinion on DC Power Inc products or if there are any other suppliers that you would recommend. I am at a disadvantage as I cannot see the product or be able to return the product if there was an issue. Once bought, thats it. I am stuck with it!

I wouldn't be too shy about ordering from them. For what you get it's probably a decent deal. The only thing you can do is get the best you can afford.
I have the time and ambition to mess with the 130 amp ones but once you get down to it it's just not worth it. When they get up to the 300usd range for an amazon denso I'd rethink.

I'd ask about spare parts for it if you bought from them.

The Lc/Lx is similar, possibly the same, check out NAPA’s Denso re-man alternator units,
3EB1C461-8506-4B4E-97CC-2E07F27101A8.jpeg

The Lc/Lx is similar, possibly the same, check out NAPA’s Denso re-man alternator units,
View attachment 2597197

A decent option, as it is what I am running currently. However the OP is in Kenya and I dont believe NAPA has a store there. However, I would think there has to be a Denso retailer in Kenya?

A decent option, as it is what I am running currently. However the OP is in Kenya and I dont believe NAPA has a store there. However, I would think there has to be a Denso retailer in Kenya?
That I didn’t see, oops. Thanks for mentioning, yes I think the brand new Denso alternator unit is the OPs best option.

I may get the reman soon from Napa alongside with a new 27F battery.

Check the ground connections. Rectifier fails with loose battery terminals. I too experienced the same thing with our Hilux LN106 for a loose ground terminal at the battery. Check the ground at the frame too. Just check all the positive and ground wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom