Alternator is shot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just found out my alternator is shot. I want to upgrade, but need to know what options I have besides OEM. I have heard of the Mean Green alternators, but don't know good sources for these and if there are any problems with the electrical system if I go this route.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks,
Winston

I would check into rebuilt Toyota alternators. I do not know if they make them but I got a rebuilt Toyota starter for a resonable price. I had my stock alternator rebuilt for $25 by a local alternator/engine shop and it has ran good for over 7 years.

You can also go for a high performance one like Mean Green that has a higher output.I think MAF sells these and you should not have any problems with your electrical system.

Anybody have GM part number for a alternator that bolts up with a higher output?

Three options that I know about other than rebuilt from Toyota:

1. Rewound stock alternator. I believe that Wrangler NW Power Products will do this but I don't have any first hand experience. Not sure what output they can achieve.
2. Mean Green. 130 amp output. I would upgrade the stock battery cable if you're really using 130 amps.
3. Mechman. 150, 175 and 225 amp options. These are based on Ford cases. They highly recommend new cables (which they will make to the proper length). I run a 175 amp with 1/0 gauge cables from both positive and negative terminals on the batteries directly to the alt with a custom fab'd bracket and custom turned down pulley for better output at idle.

The fit of the Mechman can be a little fussy. I don't have any experience with how good of a "direct fit" the Mean Green is.

HTH,
Joel

Do you have the stock Toyota motor? I've got a chevy 350 and my stock alternator went out on me. I upgraded to a 200+ amp powermaster alternator. It seems to do the trick.

If you need to upgrade your alt, you'll need to upgrade your wiring unless it's just for a stereo, & you should have already wired it separately if the amps are that big.

The bearings on my alternator sound like they are going out. If I have the stock unit rebuilt will it be able to handle the stereo system I'm planning on installing?

Door speakers front/rear and 10" rear subwoofer/amp.

-Mark

Thanks for the feedback. The PO had the previous alternator replaced with one fro Napa, and as it turns out, it is still under its warranty, so it will get replaced with the same one. I'm getting a good deal on labor otherwise I would jusr make some time to do it this weekend.

The advice from the mechanic was also that the existing wiring harness wan't stout enough for the higer amperage alternators. I saw that urban landcruisers sells one, but I couldn't find a price for them. Where are you buying them from? I will need to upgrade it eventually as my power needs increase.

I've run 100-115 amp alternators intothe factory wiring. No problems. The wiring in my Saab 9000(s), which run a 115 amp alternator from the factory, is no heavier than the Cruiser system.

In fact although I have not tried it yet, it looks like the Bosch alternator from a Saab 9000 could be made to fit a Cruiser pretty easily. Not a bolt in but easily adaptable. At $113 for a 115 amp alternator with a lifetime warranty (remanned Bosch, by Autolite)... That's not a bad deal.

Mark...

i've heard of too many mean green failures to even attempt at their price. grant it, it could be that the electriocal system on the rig couldn't handle it, but i'm not an electrical wiz, and i luck plug and play stuff. i'm planning on having a1 electric in denver rebuild mine when the time comes.

Be careful about upping the amps on your alternater. I'm too lazy to look for it now, but I seem to recall seeing a thread a while back about burning out the fusible link that way.

Alternator doesn't really have anything to do with the fusible link. That is to cut the battery of from the electrical system if you have a major short which is taking everythng the battery can throw at it and turning it to heat. :(

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom