1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternator inquiry

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by eelson, Nov 17, 2003.

1. eelson

eelson

I'm trying to wrap up a SBC conversion in my FJ40 (retaining the 4 speed), and I was wondering if anyone knows if I'm supposed to still use a stock Cruiser alternator or now go with a GM one. Also, do I need a different fuse box too? I've had some wiring problems, and rather than buying a whole new harness I opted to just take out the stock and go through everything, while also eliminating what I don't need. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Go with a GM one and check out the tech pages as to how to wire it up. :banana: :banana: at the most.

3. lone gunman

lone gunman

i agree with the previos post, go with the chevy one and go to the tech section they have the info on how to convert your cruiser to the internal regultor witch is what i did and yes its relitively easy, its all color coded. and if you want more power output use a 84 camaro alternator its rated at 100 amps, but you may have to upgrade the wiring to you amp gauge becuase the factory wire wont hadle that much juice. no you dont need a knew fuse box.

4. dd113

dd113

easy thing to do is buy the alt re fit bracket from AA or others. Better thing to do is get a good reman GM alt and go to the tech section and wire it up. COnverting stock LC wireing to SBC is simple. No need for a new harness.

5. eelson

eelson

That sounds like it should be pretty easy, especially since I can get a GM one cheaper. Thanks for the advice.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">