Alternator in my 1978 FJ40 ISN'T the factory original - need help finding replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some expert advice, recently I started to refurbish a 1978 FJ40. I ordered a new alternator, distributor cap, plugs, wires .... and to no avail none of the parts match what is in my rig. I have been able to work around everything except the alternator. I ordered a alternator from CARiD and when the "new" alternator had a completely different bolt pattern I realized there could be an issue. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue or had the same problem. I have attached pictures of the old alternator along side the "new" one that didn't fit ..... in one picture you can see some numbers on the old alternator, I don't know if anyone knows what company / model number this part is ?

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

@FJ60Cam

Just completed an oem for my 79' for the same reason.

Very pleased with the outcome!!

The part number shown in the photo is the number of the bearing. Your original alternator was p/n 27020-62013 (just looked at mine), and it is no longer available. You can get suitable replacements (rebuilds) from Rockauto and probably all of the usual LC vendors, if you want close to stock. You might also want to consider a later-model with larger capacity and better regulation.

The part number shown in the photo is the number of the bearing. Your original alternator was p/n 27020=62013 (just looked at mine), and it is no longer available. You can get suitable replacements (rebuilds) from Rockauto and probably all of the usual LC vendors, if you want close to stock. You might also want to consider a later-model with larger capacity and better regulation.
The part number shown in the photo is the number of the bearing. Your original alternator was p/n 27020-62013 (just looked at mine), and it is no longer available. You can get suitable replacements (rebuilds) from Rockauto and probably all of the usual LC vendors, if you want close to stock. You might also want to consider a later-model with larger capacity and better regulation.
thanks for the info - my struggle is I need to match the bolt pattern. Since it ISN’T the OEM part ... I don’t know how to get a replacement to match the bolt pattern ?

Post a photo of your alternator mounting bracket.

going to go out on a limb and say, thats not a land cruiser alternator, and not likely even toyota unit.

but wtf is that red wire, that just sorta meanders casually about the rear of the engine, all about?

I think what you have is a version of the Delco CS-130 alternator. Most likely from a mid to late 70s GM vehicle. They're plentiful; just look up CS-130.

You probably have a non-stock mount, but it doesn't show in the photos. Anyway, if you want a stock mount, to use a stock or Toyota alternator, you'll have buy a used one.

Last edited:
going to go out on a limb and say, thats not a land cruiser alternator, and not likely even toyota unit.

but wtf is that red wire, that just sorta meanders casually about the rear of the engine, all about?
You might be correct ... the more i tear into this engine the more mis matched things are... the wire in question goes to the carb

I think what you have is a version of the Delco CS-130 alternator. Most likely from a mid to late 70s GM vehicle.

You probably have a non-stock mount, but it doesn't show in the photos. Anyway, if you want a stock mount, to use a stock or Toyota alternator, you'll have buy a used one.
I am not interested in making it stock ... just want to replace with a working alternator that fits in the mount

Just look up CS-130. They can be found all over the place.

I am not interested in making it stock ... just want to replace with a working alternator that fits in the mount

I totally get where you're going. However, these became legendary being stock. Further, when you or the next person needs to work on that bit, it IS stock, when you come home with your part.

Frustrating, I know man. It should look like this (As you can see you have the correct mount - someone just added on an additional arm):

alternator1.jpg

I can definitely ditch the extra upper bracket, but the bottom mount doesn’t work with the new alternator in the picture

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom