Alternator Idler Pulley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
Threads
Website
www.4x4panama.com
Simple short question ..

I was doing the belt maintenance in my 1FZ-FE last weekend .. notice the Alternator Idler Pulley was shotm ( or close to ) due to the noise that it makes .. so I remove it and I'm looking for a replacement ..

What's the function of that pulley .. I start the engine and the belt run nice and all it's working nice ( so far ) but I wanna make sure don't gonna shot anything ..

thanks !

I think you will be OK for a short time but Mr T built the 1FZ-FE with that idler pulley so I would not run without it for the long term.

I have heard you can source a new bearing but not from Toyota. Nothing specific like a size or a p/n... just that someone had found one. If you are good at searching you might be able to turn up the thread here on 'Mud and maybe there was a source and/or a part number.

-B-

You can replace the bearing for the ac idler pulley not the alternator idler pulley. The ac is a 6301-2RS, I think.

that's what I think .. when I saw the pulley the " looks " like an integrated bearing ..

I must have those 2 confused. I recall the alternator idler was not expensive... actually, both were pretty cheap as I remember.

-B-

I must have those 2 confused. I recall the alternator idler was not expensive... actually, both were pretty cheap as I remember.

-B-

I got it at home .. I will take a picture tonight .. and post here.

I took mine off 6 yrs ago when it started squealing. Been meaning to order a new one ever since. I think running without it has made my leather seats start to crack. One of these days...

The infamous ..

main.php

And the detail on the bearing .. I will give it a shot tomorrow searching at my local bearing shop .. lets see what we can do ..

main.php

Why bother? I replace both pulleys from CDan for under $75 (including shipping).

I feel that is worth the price to not have to go through all of that again.

I would spend the extra $$$ and get new OEM belts as well.

Made a big difference.

That bearing CANNOT be removed without destroying the pulley assembly. It is sandwiched between the pulley halves, as can be seen in your pictures. The replacement assembly costs about $40.

Why bother? I replace both pulleys from CDan for under $75 (including shipping).

I feel that is worth the price to not have to go through all of that again.

I would spend the extra $$$ and get new OEM belts as well.

Made a big difference.

The ac bearing can be replaced for about $5 shipped, very easy to replace...snap ring.
for the alt idle, you need to replace the assy.

I'm not been able to locate an alternative replacement for this pulley here in Panamá .. the local Toyota dealer want's 123.95 USD ( LOL ! )

I already ordered for 25 bucks ..

Thanks all for comments .. ( BTW the engine it's running without the pulley without problem so far ).

P.S. I'm not a fan of Toyota belts .. got Gates belts and I'm so happy with 'em ..

That bearing CANNOT be removed without destroying the pulley assembly. It is sandwiched between the pulley halves, as can be seen in your pictures. The replacement assembly costs about $40.

What is the best place/fastest place to find a replacement for one of these?

Last edited:
What is the best place/fastest place to find a replacement for one of these?

Your Toyota dealer or Cruiserdan is the only place.

Hey guys I am having the same issue and am a total newb to working on any sort of vehicle. I need to order the two alt belts plus the pully just under the alternator the one that is to the far right. I am thinking from what I am reading I need to order the whole assembly and not just the pully? Also I see the belts all over the internet but they seem to cheap and I am not sure if its the two belts sold as one. Any help would be appreciated. Link to a good website to order parts way to many.

I have just replaced the bearing in mine as I have plenty of time and like to save money where I can. I carefully centre punched the rivets and drilled the heads off with a 1/8 drill (3.2mm). The two halves were then carefully separated. Came apart fairly easily, just don't distort the shape, take care. New bearing was a japanese NASHI 6301-2NSE9 ($10 aussie dollars) I then carefully re assembled it over the new bearing making sure holes were lined up. then drilled holes out to 1/8. I then used 1/8 steel pop rivets just long enough to clamp the two halves. Too long rivets will cause clearance issues with the shroud washers so use the shortest rivets you can. Oh nearly forgot, I needed to place about 1/4 inch packing of old nuts over shaft of rivet between rivet head and nose of rivet gun when setting rivets because the nose of my rivet gun would not fit down onto the head of the rivet. Depending on your rivet gun you may not have to do this. $55 dollars saved for about an hours work. Good as new. Have done similar repair years ago to (non serviceable! - ha) idler pulley on the deck of my John Deere mower. (Still going strong) Used nuts and bolts on that one and tack welded the nuts to the bolts to prevent loosening.

I've read multiple posts from folks that have removed the alt pulley w/o any problems. Based on that when mine started squealing a few thousand miles ago I removed it, no issues since.

Does anybody have the toyota part number for the alternator idler pulley? My bearing is shot, but the pulley is out of round too just slightly and it has been eating belts every 2500-7000 miles on my rig. I don't mind spending the money to fix it, but I usually order from www.toyotapartsdeal.com, I just have to know the part number ahead of time and am having trouble finding it.

Edit: Late on a Saturday night, I decided to call a Toyota dealership in California and take advantage of the time difference. The part number is 16603-66010. Dealership wants $73.95, toyotapartsdeal has it for $47.48.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom