alternator conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a cruiser built in Nov 1974. I would like to find an alternator with a higher amp rating. Has anyone found an alternator that will work or can the existing alternator be fixed for more output by an alternator shop? Any input would be greatly appreciated. By the way it is completely stock.

I would look into getting a "mean green" alt. I know their starters are really good, so i assume their alt are too

Mean Green is an option, there are many Chevy alternators that kick out 105+ amps, and custom wound alternators are an option too. Cheapest will be the Chevy....custom next, then the mean green. Only bad about custom is warranty....(usually none...heh)

I was looking through my TTs to answer another question and I saw an article in the 3/4-2000 issue on installing a 108A GM big case alternator. It was pretty good in that it addressed a lot of little problems. i can scan and send it to you if you'd like.

Gumby..that would be great if you could scan it and e-mail it to me. I am curious as to the things needed to be changed. Thanks a million...

I was thinking about doing the same to my FJ62. Can someone tell me if I can put Chevy alternator on my FJ62? Would there be issues with the ECU?

UPDATE!!!

Well I went to O'Reiley Auto parts and they had an 100 amp Delco alternator that had the same mounts as the factory Alternator. All I had to do was narrow the factory alternator bracket on moter by 1/4 inch and everything lined up perfect. I also had to buy a chrome chevy Alternator top bracket because the original straight one would not clear the new alternator. It was a very easy conversion and well worth it because now I have around 45 or so amps at idle and 100 or so at around 3000 rpm.

Do anybody knows for what is the Pump in the rear of my 1978 TLC alternator? once i leave a hose not enouh tight and it become to spur motor oil from it when i started the engine so i think is my mechanical oil pump,right?

Slappin in a GM alternator is easy and removes the problems of a mechanical voltage regulator. I like cheap and easy and better.

How do you deal with the GM alternator having a narrower pulley than the stock? Do you replace all the other pulleys to have the same width ? The PO of my rig put in a GM alternator with a narrower belt, but didn't change the other pulleys. Went through belts pretty quickly, lots of squealing, etc. I ended up putting a Toyota OEM alternator back on.

I installed a mean green alternator that came with a double pulley that fits the factory width belts. It has been installed for a number of years and has never faltered. It has a 200 amp rating. I had to make a spacer which was no big deal.
Alternator 01.jpg
Alternator 02.jpg

amps

because now I have around 45 or so amps at idle and 100 or so at around 3000 rpm.

How are you measuring the AMPS or is that just the rating?

It would not be ideal to be constantly flowing 100 amps---what's pulling it?

How do you deal with the GM alternator having a narrower pulley than the stock? Do you replace all the other pulleys to have the same width ? The PO of my rig put in a GM alternator with a narrower belt, but didn't change the other pulleys. Went through belts pretty quickly, lots of squealing, etc. I ended up putting a Toyota OEM alternator back on.

The author of the article in TT suggests using a 17/32x53 belt to split the difference between the toyota and GM pulleys. I can't remember what I did. That was 10 cruisers ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom