Alternator Charging Fuse? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cpg

Threads
I was wondering if all of the wires attached to the battery positive (I think there are three) besides the large starter cable. What kind of amperage load should they have to handle. Would the alternator charging be the largest load? Also would it hurt to put another fuse before the battery positive?
Thanks
Chris

Depends a lot - what are you planning on running off of said fuse/cable.

Just the wires that are stock not adding anything. I am not sure what the stock wires are for. I would assume al electrical components, lights, fans, comp, windows, mirrors etc. Just have not takin the time to open the manual yet.

Chris;

Here is a link to how my 94-FZJ80 is wired. Yours may be similar, since I don't know what year 80 u have.

http://homepage.mac.com/dfmorse/BattProj2/page9.html

Off of the alternator are two large wires, a #6 and a #8 (in american terms). The #6 runs direct to the battery thru a fuse link (about a #12) known as MAIN. You don't need to put another fuse between the alternator and Battery. A fuse after the pos lead is ok, for addition loads. The battery will handle heavy loads, like the starter (~200-300 amps). The alternator will only charger what the battery requires, at most 80 amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom