Alternator bolt stripped. 1993, LC, 80series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I am replacing the alternator in my 80 series and I'm having trouble removing the bottom Alan key bolt. I believe the bolt is stripped.
See images below. Does anyone have any recommendation on how I can get this bolt removed? I was thinking of cutting the V-belts and using a nut extractor.

Also, any other tips on removing the alternator? Should I remove the fan shroud? I actually removed the battery and disconnected the top radiator hose.

Cheers
George
alternator bolt.jpg
alternator location.jpg
Engine bay.jpg

That bolt is Torx (star) not Allen key (hex). The correct Torx bit may still be able to get it out, depending on how bad it is stripped out.

If you have the OEM Denso alternator, often you can just replace the alternator brushes: 27370-75060 for much cheaper than replacing the whole alternator. Easiest to still remove the alternator though, but it can be done without removal, see Alternator brush replacement - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/alternator-brush-replacement.592472/#post-13580022.

EDIT: Looks like a T40 bit fits.

Last edited:
To start with, just loosen that bolt a half turn or so, and loosen the bolt at the top of the alternator too, then back off the adjusting bolt in the bottom bracket.

Once belts are of and out of the way, get a set of Irwin bolt grip sockets. I swear by these things for giving stripped nuts and bolts another chance

download (3).jpeg

I can second that Irwin recommendation, I have the same set. But after you cut those belts off, if you still have trouble getting a stripped nut extractor on that bolt, try vice grips. I'd recommend a good sized pair, but if you can get the angle and grip the head of that thing very tightly, you may just be able to break it loose. And yes, loosen everything else that you can and remove the fan shroud if it gives you more room.

I will also add that the ~$20 alternator brush replacement is probably all you need to do to service that alternator. Unless you are upgrading your wiring and changing brackets to get a larger alternator, the 80 amp Toyota unit is practically a lifetime part with just brushes alone.

I had a hard time taking off the stripped Torx bolt. The easiest way is to take the off the alternator with the lower bracket. 1 is a 12mm nut and my Landcruiser did not have the number 2 bolt. To gain access to the nut you will need to unfasten the tensioner pulley bolt (14mm).

Now I need to get the alternator out of the engine bay. Seems like I would need to remove the fan shroud so I can take the alternator out? any suggestions?

Thank you all for the help!
Alternator.JPG

I had a hard time taking off the stripped Torx bolt. The easiest way is to take the off the alternator with the lower bracket. 1 is a 12mm nut and my Landcruiser did not have the number 2 bolt. To gain access to the nut you will need to unfasten the tensioner pulley bolt (14mm).

Now I need to get the alternator out of the engine bay. Seems like I would need to remove the fan shroud so I can take the alternator out? any suggestions?

Thank you all for the help!
View attachment 2883504
Removing the fan shroud may make it easier, though not necessary. Keep in mind that to remove the shroud you'll also need to remove the fan. No big deal, but an extra step. IIRC, I didn't remove anything other than the radiator hose when I replaced my alternator a few months ago. But I could be mis-remembering.

I removed a failed alternator in an Autozone car park earlier in the year. Pull the battery and battery tray. Disconnect the cables at the back of the alternator. Remove the pivot bolt at the top and the lock bolt on the adjusting bracket. You don't need to remove the coolant pipe or hoses. Alternator will slide out with a bit of wiggling.

alternator-adjusting-vector.png

Vector courtesy of @NLXTACY

Removing the fan shroud may make it easier, though not necessary. Keep in mind that to remove the shroud you'll also need to remove the fan. No big deal, but an extra step. IIRC, I didn't remove anything other than the radiator hose when I replaced my alternator a few months ago. But I could be mis-remembering.
Awesome. I Probably just need to wiggle it out. Thanks!
I removed a failed alternator in an Autozone car park earlier in the year. Pull the battery and battery tray. Disconnect the cables at the back of the alternator. Remove the pivot bolt at the top and the lock bolt on the adjusting bracket. You don't need to remove the coolant pipe or hoses. Alternator will slide out with a bit of wiggling.

View attachment 2883566
Vector courtesy of @NLXTACY
Great information! thank you so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom