Alternator Belt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
(84 FJ60 here)
Okay, had to do some maintenance. Voila, the alternator belt needed changing.
Loosened all bolts (even removed the tensioner) I even have the alternator as far as it can go against the engine block.
No matter what I do, I cannot get the stupid belt on.
I really don't want to loosen the PSP.

It's just slightly off.
And yes, I've checked everywhere. The same belt no matter where I go.
Anybody have a quick tip to get that blasted belt over the alternator?
Anyone?

A picture would help. If you've ordered the correct Toyota belt and it won't fit, then the alternator isn't the same as the original. Normally it goes on without any issues.

A picture would help. If you've ordered the correct Toyota belt and it won't fit, then the alternator isn't the same as the original. Normally it goes on without any issues.
You are correct. It isn't the standard (it was put on before I bought it. On to Napa)
Thanks!

It’s probably the voltage reg on the alternator hitting the engine hoist hook on the front of the motor. I ratchet strapped my new belt to my patio cover and stretched it over night and it went on. My method was highly frowned upon here. 😬

x2 about the voltage regulator. If everything else is the same (alternator pulley size, etc.) the stock belt should work. I suppose it doesn't matter much as long a you can tension the up-sized belt. Another option if you want to stay with the stock belt is to clock the alternator.

LOL... I had the exact same issue back in Feb. 1984 FJ60 with a 2F. Here is my post, with pics.

It took me a few tries with different size belts but I finally settle on this one. This is your ticket right here:

If it does work, make sure you reply and confirm for others to know. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom