Alternator Belt Tensioner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to tighten the alternator belt cause it squeals each time at startup. No biggie. When i was looking at the belt I noticed that it looks like the belt is not on properly.

belt.jpg

The bottom of the "V" on the belt is riding on the flat pully surface. Shouldn't it be riding on the flat side of the V belt on this pulley? Truck is new to me, and it looks like I have to loop the belt around the pulley to make it fit properly.
Thank You

Disregard question. I just found a pic. Odd that it rides like this, It looks like it should be opposite.

Dan, you are missing a belt. You should have 2 belts on your alternator. :hmm:
Everything else is correct.

You're missing a belt, and cogged belts generally make more noise than the Toyota matched set.

Might as well snag two Toyota belts. My engine is so much quieter since putting mine on (and my startup squeal is gone).

Just my .02.

yeah I saw it is missing the other belt. I will get one. I always wondered why some rigs have 2 belts for the same accesories. Is it for redundancy?

Dunno, maybe based on the torque from the crank pulley spread out between two belts?? Most people go with the matched set from Toyota; they both come tied together from the factory. Much less noise.

Since our LC80 are made to go to hell and back, my best guess is redundancy...... 2 better than one :steer:

2 alternator belts at the dealer $13. 2 alternator belts at Checker Auto Parts--$30.

I got it all tightened up and the squeal is gone. I will go this week and get the belts, we are going to the beach tomorrow right after work. We shoudl be good to go. [knock on wood] Just thinknig of the leaking knuckle. on my old 4runner I didnt care much cause i could just roll in 2WD, but in AWD I am a bit more leary. But it is stil leaking so that means it isnt dry yet. I will pump some grease in it later. Another thing on my list of little fixes :)

thanks Guys!!!

Yea, looks odd riding that way. It will fit on the other way but it takes about an hour and a broken radiator to get it there. I was replacing mine with the non-cogged Toyota belts and wondered why they were so short.

2 Toyota belts on the outside = much better.

In my defense I've always seen the idler ride on the other side and there's no belt routing diagram under the hood.

I had this exact same problem...went to Autozone to get a belt, they never mentioned that it had two alternator belts...I didn't catch the empty pulley...when I took it to the dealer thinking that the bearings were locking up on the belt idler they told me I was missing a belt and that a piece of the old belt was actually stuck in the lower shield...wow...was I surprised. Put two new belts on and it's great now...no more embarrassing squealing that wakes the neighbors!! Oh...and I agree, although a company like Gates is great for belts and hoses, my service writer told me that the Toyota OEM belts/hoses are actually a better idea, typically less expensive but they fit better, ride in the pulley better and should last longer...and price wise, it was a better call as well.

What I found, since I didn't know about toyotas matched set:whoops:

Is that I noticed that Gates belts were a bit long and did not ride well on the bearing/pulley (barely touching when thightened).

I found a set of Gates that were just 1/2" shorter than the set they suggest and used them.

So far all noises are gone and the blets ride very well agains the bearing/pulley.

Ofcourse the belts I got were also smooth, not ridged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom