Alternator bearing noise? Question on two options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalFJ100

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey Mudders!

Hope everyone is doing well with this craziness going on!

I started to develop some possible bearing noise from my alternator. I started hearing some whining noise recently and used my trusty mechanic stethoscope and definitely heard more strange noises coming from the alternator.

Looks like reman is pretty much all that is available now.

Should I:
a) Pick up a dealer OE reman for $171 + $75 core

OR

b.) Pick up a Denso reman for $106 +$34 core AND buy new bearings and brushes for my old and keep it as a rebuilt spare? OEM Bearings/brush is about $50 total.

I am not having any charging issues with my current alternator. Holds steady at 13-14v while driving. My truck has about 300k, but I've only had it about 10k miles. No idea if my alternator is original, etc. Just want to be proactive and get rid of this new noise.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me, I wouldn't do either. I would take my alternator into a local auto electric shop and get them to rebuild it. I then have someone to go to if there are issues and feel they do a superior job to a reman from wherever they do that.

Hey Mudders!

Hope everyone is doing well with this craziness going on!

I started to develop some possible bearing noise from my alternator. I started hearing some whining noise recently and used my trusty mechanic stethoscope and definitely heard more strange noises coming from the alternator.

Looks like reman is pretty much all that is available now.

Should I:
a) Pick up a dealer OE reman for $171 + $75 core

OR

b.) Pick up a Denso reman for $106 +$34 core AND buy new bearings and brushes for my old and keep it as a rebuilt spare? OEM Bearings/brush is about $50 total.

I am not having any charging issues with my current alternator. Holds steady at 13-14v while driving. My truck has about 300k, but I've only had it about 10k miles. No idea if my alternator is original, etc. Just want to be proactive and get rid of this new noise.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We recently replaced ours with Denso. After 280k had a good life. Original alternator
Might also check/replace idler bearing while undoing things.

For me, I wouldn't do either. I would take my alternator into a local auto electric shop and get them to rebuild it. I then have someone to go to if there are issues and feel they do a superior job to a reman from wherever they do that.

Good suggestion. I live in the great city of Los Angeles, I am sure there are qualified shops. I just don't know any off hand. My challenge is down time. I suppose I could go with the cheaper Denso and send my OEM take off for repair rather than doing it myself.

We recently replaced ours with Denso. After 280k had a good life. Original alternator
Might also check/replace idler bearing while undoing things.

Did you keep your original or send it back as a core? Also, did you have charging issues or the bearing whine noise?

Last edited:
I recently went with the Sequoia 150 amp upgrade. I took a chance and bought a junk yard unit. That unit did not work well, so I took it to my local auto electric shop. They only charged me $80 to rebuild it and it now works like a champ. For me, downtime was not an issue since I don't use that rig to commute. However, unless they have to wait for parts, I would imagine it being a one day operation. And perhaps if they need to get parts, they could order them and you not bring it in until they have the parts in hand. Again, I've had good results with a local shop and I also like supporting the local businesses as well.

No matter what, good luck.

Good suggestion. I live in the great city of Los Angeles, I am sure there are qualified shops. I just don't know any off hand. My challenge is down time. I suppose I could go with the cheaper Denso and send my OEM take off for repair rather than doing it myself.

Did you keep your original or send it back as a core? Also, did you have charging issues or the bearing whine noise?
We went with the Denso new. Denso was and still is the manufacturer for Toyota. Whenever you can replace a electrical item with Denso you are saving The Dealer upcharge. We are definetly a OEM family with 3 Toyota's. With a new alternator a core charge or exchange is generally required.
As noted above rebuilding is certainly option. Brushes not to hard, bearings a little more challenging with out press, and not knowing the history a risk. A new Denso should last a long time. Ours started not charging and making a noise. Some things do wear out. After 23 years and 280K we got our money's worth. Time is money and having it on hand to remove and reinstall is your choice for value. Good luck and its not that big of a job. I would be working on cleaning the plastic plug and checking wire connections for being fragile. I had the a bigger challeng with the plastic plug then anything else. Be gentle and patient as you do not want to have to fix this. The other challenge was the small wire holder that is inserted in Alternator case. It is a small clip that the two prongs squeeze together. Push each side and gently wiggle out.
Inspect belts as this also is a good time to review along with idler bearing as mentioned.

We went with the Denso new. Denso was and still is the manufacturer for Toyota. Whenever you can replace a electrical item with Denso you are saving The Dealer upcharge. We are definetly a OEM family with 3 Toyota's. With a new alternator a core charge or exchange is generally required.
As noted above rebuilding is certainly option. Brushes not to hard, bearings a little more challenging with out press, and not knowing the history a risk. A new Denso should last a long time. Ours started not charging and making a noise. Some things do wear out. After 23 years and 280K we got our money's worth. Time is money and having it on hand to remove and reinstall is your choice for value. Good luck and its not that big of a job. I would be working on cleaning the plastic plug and checking wire connections for being fragile. I had the a bigger challeng with the plastic plug then anything else. Be gentle and patient as you do not want to have to fix this. The other challenge was the small wire holder that is inserted in Alternator case. It is a small clip that the two prongs squeeze together. Push each side and gently wiggle out.
Inspect belts as this also is a good time to review along with idler bearing as mentioned.

Do you have the part number handy? My initial search has not uncovered any "new" Denso. Only reman units.

1590006783795.png

The noise, if like a whine or high pitched hum and not a whirrr, could be from the internal regulator.
If rebuilt locally ask the rebuilder exactly what parts he replaces and what bearings he uses, Chyna sheit (very inexpensive, and common), Korea (much better, acceptable), Japan (NSK are highest quality but expensive). Ditto for the regulator, Chyna (no) or ?? where manufactured. IMHO.

Last edited:
My locally trusted rebuilder has switched to using POS Chinese bearings for alternators and starters. I bought a Japanese bearing for the ALT if it develops a whine.

Do you have the part number handy? My initial search has not uncovered any "new" Denso. Only reman units.

View attachment 2313276
I found our invoice. My error in noting it was new. It is the same part number you have listed 210-0181. Looks like I paid 178 including tax for your information. Read notes below and agree with the Kernal on different options and rewinding question. Another reason for just replacing. It was available from the local supply house from our shop. I do a lot of work with our shop. They are tremendous help in many ways. Let me do some work but also work on our Toyota's when needed. They will also get me parts that don't come from dealer.
Sorry for incorrect information on new but remanufactured should work for you. Working for us.

One source of NSK bearings (other than the OEM Toyota) is Motion Industries, they aren't cheap but they are high quality. FAG/Hanwha are also high quality (Korea/Germany conglomerate) who make KBC bearings.

Be careful if buying bearings online, too many chyna sheit counterfeit bearings in brand name boxes. Anything that comes out of Chyna is suspect (including viruses)

Last edited:

This is sound advice. The auto electric shops are a wealth of knowledge and real world experience (not just a mass rebuild center cranking out core rebuilds). It might take a few days to turn it around, but well worth the wait.

I use this place MN, highly recommended: (plus it is walking distance from my desk @ work):

This is sound advice. The auto electric shops are a wealth of knowledge and real world experience (not just a mass rebuild center cranking out core rebuilds). It might take a few days to turn it around, but well worth the wait.

I use this place MN, highly recommended: (plus it is walking distance from my desk @ work):

That is quite the walking distance from me! Haha. I'm sure there are some great places in Los Angeles, but this city is definitely a mixed bag for customer service...might as well be the same chances as buying a reman from Denso.

I'd pull the idler pulley and verify that its bearing is not dry (still has some grease drag preventing it from spinning freely) before purchasing a replacement alternator.

I'd pull the idler pulley and verify that its bearing is not dry (still has some grease drag preventing it from spinning freely) before purchasing a replacement alternator.
Well that's certainly easy and well regarded. I'll pop that off and check to be safe. Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom