Alternator BAD? HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today was running my Cruiser (project) Shut it off and then noticed upon restarting that the AMP gauge was reading a discharge. I turned on the headlights only to really see the AMP gauge really dive!
So I got out my volt meter, and checked the main lug on my STOCK alt. It only read 12.48 +/- Volts.

Should this read 14 volts EVEN IF the regulator is bad or good? (I don't like electrical stuff on vehicles)
Anyway I checked the voltages at the various lugs on the outside of voltage regulator, and they read out in minimal decimals on any and all.
My turn signals went as well but the lights were fine.

AM I LOOKING IN THE RIGHT PLACES?
What might be some tricks to check for the alt system?
HELP

Turn signals...look for a fuse...or a ground issue...

Alt-

The alt is not going to just put 13.8-14.2 volts out if the regulator is not working, or the brushes in the alt are bad...take the alt off and have it tested. Most decent auto parts stores will do this for free...

Some even have the ability to veryify proper operation of the regulator...

Good luck!

-Steve

Just put the darn thing back together, and it's working fine! Took the cover off the regulator, and played with it and it's working as far as I can tell.

While running, the alt is putting out 13.36 +/-Volts. The Amp meter is indicating a charge during this time. The Alt whines a bit intermittently while at idle.

Called Auto Zone for a rebuilt alt............$44.90 not too bad, probably wouldn't hurt to update for that price.

I'd replace the volt reg and the brushes in the alt. -cheap
Check and clean all wiring and contacts
and I bet you'll be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom