Alternator about to go out on 06 LX or something else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

Wife came back in the 2006 LX (195k miles) yesterday and it sounded off - a kind of higher pitched whine associated with revs. Drove it myself and on startup it was there but it went away when it warmed up. Happened again today when cold and took a video. When I was driving around with the noise I noticed that the volt meter was around 12V on idle although I haven't really paid attention to it before.

It's difficult to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from but it could be in the region of the alternator. Of note, I did flush the power steering fluid just a couple of hundred miles ago with synthetic Mobil 1 AFT but the noise doesn't seem to be related to turning the steering wheel at all.

Came back this afternoon to test it with the multi-meter and initially got some readings around 12.5V but the noise seemed to go away and then it was sitting at 13.5V.

Any recommendations? Seems to be pointing toward the alternator, but weird that it happens right after a PS fluid flush and a lot of other work I did on the AHC! Should I just go ahead and replace it? (local Napa has the Denso 210-1099 in stock).

Cheers,
Francis

Looks like the Powersteering pump. When was the recent fluid flush with cleaning the mesh inside the reservoir? If you haven't done it, probably it's time. Use a good ATF such as valvoline or Mobil-1.

Looks like the Powersteering pump. When was the recent fluid flush with cleaning the mesh inside the reservoir? If you haven't done it, probably it's time. Use a good ATF such as valvoline or Mobil-1.
I just did it a couple of weeks ago..... with Mobil 1 ATF. Just took the belt off and both pulleys seem to spin freely. I'm going to replace the alternator as preventative anyway and see what happens.

I agree with @nissanh, sounds like vane pump. Screen in reservoir clogged or air (not bleed) in PS system, will make this sound.
Bleed wheels off ground, engine off, turn steering wheel slowly lock (turn as far as possible) to lock and hold at for 3 seconds or more. Do that, a minimum of 3 times. Than tires on ground, engine idling, repeat lock to lock.

But the idlers and tensioner bearings, as you stated "spin freely". May actually be a bad sign. If while spinning you hear them at all, they're bad or on the way out.

Thanks guys..

I was going down the alternator route anyway and managed to pick one up at Napa this morning.

The Denso 210-1099 is a direct swap for the 03-07 LX/LC I believe, attached of the two side by side. Unlike the videos on the older alternator, this 03-07 one bolt and two nuts. Managed to change it out from underneath and as per another post on here, I did loosen the fan shroud to give me a bit more wiggle room.

It seems to have fixed the issue, the noise is gone and drives like a dream again! Will see, but thanks for the advice on the power steering pump, that'll definitely be the next stop if the sound returns.

PXL_20230409_171143320.jpg

PXL_20230409_171156314.jpg

I am seeing this alternator bearing failures more and more on newer vehicles. For comparison, my 92 corolla at 288K miles and still factory alternator with a recent OEM brush kit R/R. Same with the 4runner (220K miles), LC (2000, 250K miles) and Hilux (220K miles).

I am seeing this alternator bearing failures more and more on newer vehicles. For comparison, my 92 corolla at 288K miles and still factory alternator with a recent OEM brush kit R/R. Same with the 4runner (220K miles), LC (2000, 250K miles) and Hilux (220K miles).
Same here, those 4AFE motors and components are seemingly never going to die. I'm convinced, (based on evidence of all my new s*** breaking ) is that everything manufactured after 2003 is just crap.

Thanks guys..

I was going down the alternator route anyway and managed to pick one up at Napa this morning.

The Denso 210-1099 is a direct swap for the 03-07 LX/LC I believe, attached of the two side by side. Unlike the videos on the older alternator, this 03-07 one bolt and two nuts. Managed to change it out from underneath and as per another post on here, I did loosen the fan shroud to give me a bit more wiggle room.

It seems to have fixed the issue, the noise is gone and drives like a dream again! Will see, but thanks for the advice on the power steering pump, that'll definitely be the next stop if the sound returns.

View attachment 3295072

View attachment 3295073
Did you have to loosen the power steering pump to get it out? All work done from below? I'm going to order one today, mine just went out. The factory unit was "rebuilt" at an electrical shop supposedly 15k miles back....

Did you have to loosen the power steering pump to get it out? All work done from below? I'm going to order one today, mine just went out. The factory unit was "rebuilt" at an electrical shop supposedly 15k miles back....
I did have to loosen the power steering pump, that was easy enough. And I was able to do it all from below although it was a bit fiddly with the alternator connections. Good luck!

Oh man that 14mm bolt on the bottom of the PS pump that you have to loosen to allow clearance for removal- what a pain.....finally got it with a ratcheting box end wrench, definitely the toughest part of the job minus wrangling the alternator in and out with the fan shroud and lines in the way...
Edit- I'm a retard, you can get a socket and extension thru the holes on the pulley for the PS pump, just saw that on a video.....

Last edited:
Oh man that 14mm bolt on the bottom of the PS pump that you have to loosen to allow clearance for removal- what a pain.....finally got it with a ratcheting box end wrench, definitely the toughest part of the job minus wrangling the alternator in and out with the fan shroud and lines in the way...
A deep socket on a ratchet should be able to get all of em' just fine, at least on my 02. Maybe other years are different? You just spin the pulley and put the socket through the gaps.

A deep socket on a ratchet should be able to get all of em' just fine, at least on my 02. Maybe other years are different? You just spin the pulley and put the socket through the gaps.
Just figured that out after the fact- this is why I aint a mechanic.

Just figured that out after the fact- this is why I aint a mechanic.
At least you got it, a few busted knuckles is good for you. nice work.

Double check the vaccumm line hoses on the back of the pump. They can be brittle with age and sometimes break off, worth double checking after moving the PS pump.

It's a good idea to have a replacement electrical connector on hand before starting the alternator replacement!
90980-11349
I know it like an anthem cause ive broken so many of these damn connectors. Same connector on 1fz and 1uz/3uz too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom