Alternatives to Red OEM Long Life Coolant? Prestone Command (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been reading a lot and tough to find much info as it relates to Toyota diesel engines, but wondering what the expert opinions are here regarding alternatives to OEM Red Toyota coolant?

I was recommended Prestone Command heavy duty coolant. Link:
Prestone Command

There’s no mention of meeting Toyota spec however. Also seems there’s two versions, Nitrite and no-Nitrite. Thoughts on this stuff for use in a 5L diesel?

Any other recommendations on aftermarket coolant for a 5L?

Thanks for any feedback!

Mercedes Benz blue

I bought two gallons of concentrate from the dealer for $49 w tax.

Several mechanics have stated that upon tear down the journals of the engines look pristine after hundreds of thousands of miles.

or:
Evans

Amazon product ASIN B00TPVI2TQ

Whats wrong with Toyota red? Ive always used the red , but any quality coolant that meet specs is going to be ok.

Red is just expensive from my local dealer, about $49/gallon last time I checked. Also nearest dealer is an hour away so trying to find better options available locally.

Its cheap in Australia, Toyota allow any auto store to sell it

I have used this in the past, although it seems to be out of stock... like many things nowadays.

Valvoline red coolant
Valvoline Asian Red seems to be generally accepted as a subtitute in the markets where the Toyota coolant is hideously expensive.

Have a big landcruiser friend here in Jamaica who swears by the Cat (as in Caterpillar) Diesel coolant (which is also the same colour)

Valvoline Asian Red seems to be generally accepted as a subtitute in the markets where the Toyota coolant is hideously expensive.

Have a big landcruiser friend here in Jamaica who swears by the Cat (as in Caterpillar) Diesel coolant (which is also the same colour)

That's good to know, thanks. The Prestone Command is CAT EC-1 certified for Caterpillar heavy diesel engines. Not sure what makes a coolant 'heavy duty' but makes sense to use a more durable coolant in larger diesel engines.

Never in my life have I ever been able to get coolant to go 150,000 km or whatever they claim in any used vehicle I've owned. Somewhere along the way i'll have to change a hose, water, pump, radiator, something that'll cause me to end up changing the coolant along the way.

In a new car (like wife's Subaru) sure, but in an old diesel beater, odds are im gonna have to drain it at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom