Alternatives to oem for terminal repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to repair my rear locker. Both plugs are ripped off the actuator. I have the correct new housings but not the terminals splices. Is aftermarket ok? Toyota wants $10 bucks each. That's another $80.
Thanks

Bellinger motor sports makes high quality connectors and pins. I used some of there sumatomo connectors with pig tails to repair my 94 harness.

Majority of terminals in 80 are made by Yazaki. You can get these Yazaki terminals for less than 10 cents a piece (if you buy in bulk). You will need a special "open barrel terminal" crimper for them. If you only need to do a few, then a $20 crimper will be fine. If you have a lot to do, it's better to get a higher quality tool.

You will need to do a bunch of research, as there are quite a few different types, and each type usually has 3 sizes for different diameter wire.

As these trucks get older and require an increasing amount of electrical work, investing your time and money into learning how to work with these terminals becomes essential.

"Corsa technic" is a great website for researching this. They provide exact dimensions/drawings and OEM part numbers for each terminal (unlike ballanger), which makes selecting the correct ones a lot easier. Go to connectors> by manufacturer> Yazaki. Locker harness most likely uses 090II sealed type yazaki terminals. Scroll all the way down to confirm, select the correct size and select the rubber seal.

One thing to keep in mind is that wire that is used on Toyotas is not the same as the standard wire that you would normally buy at an electrical supplier. Toyota mostly uses "AVSS" wire, which (in addition to being metric) has much thinner insulation than the typical AWG wire. So if you're using regular "AWG" wire for your repairs, you have to select a rubber seal that is designed for the larger size wire than what you're using. Otherwise the AWG wire will expand the seal too much and it won't fit into the connector.

Last edited:
Majority of terminals in 80 are made by Yazaki. You can get these Yazaki terminals for less than 10 cents a piece (if you buy in bulk). You will need a special "open barrel terminal" crimper for them. If you only need to do a few, then a $20 crimper will be fine. If you have a lot to do, it's better to get a higher quality tool.

You will need to do a bunch of research, as there are quite a few different types, and each type usually has 3 sizes for different diameter wire.

As these trucks get older and require an increasing amount of electrical work, investing your time and money into learning how to work with these terminals becomes essential.

"Corsa technic" is a great website for researching this. They provide exact dimensions/drawings and OEM part numbers for each terminal (unlike ballanger), which makes selecting the correct ones a lot easier. Go to connectors> by manufacturer> Yazaki. Locker harness most likely uses 090II sealed type yazaki terminals. Scroll all the way down to confirm, select the correct size and select the rubber seal.

One thing to keep in mind is that wire that is used on Toyotas is not the same as the standard wire that you would normally buy at an electrical supplier. Toyota mostly uses "AVSS" wire, which (in addition to being metric) has much thinner insulation than the typical AWG wire. So if you're using regular "AWG" wire for your repairs, you have to select a rubber seal that is designed for the larger size wire than what you're using. Otherwise the AWG wire will expand the seal too much and it won't fit into the connector.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom