Alternatives to cam pulley holder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can’t imagine everyone who has changed the cam seals would have a cam pulley holder. So what did you use instead and how did it work?

Since I’m changing the timing belt I thought I could use the old one to hold the cam pulley while putting an impact wrench to the bolt. Would that work, without moving the position of the camshaft?

3-foot long, 1/4” thick x 2” wide steel bar from Home Depot. Cut 6” off the end to serve as an arm, drill holes for 70mm-long bolts, install nuts and bolts. I don’t have a picture of the one I made but it looks like the one below, just jankier but cheaper.

1635493142467.jpeg

Thanks. Anyone else? Looking for clever ideas especially using existing tools

The non-VVTi camshaft pulley is different from the VVTi. What model do you have?

Man, I just went to OReilly and got the cam holder tool for like $40. I'm cheap and all, but most homemade stuff ends up being junk unless you put a lot of time and effort into it. The real tool works awesome.

This guy for $42. Ignore the 1 star review, it was strong as can be for both my cams. Even had to do it twice for each, after I realized there's a key difference in the lip between passenger and drivers side, which matters in belt install:

Last edited:
Loosen nut before you pull the belt off

It will work. You may still need the tool for belt installation.
Couldn’t I hand tighten the cam wheel bolts, then put on the new timing belt, and then do the final torque? Essentially reverse the steps so a special tool is not needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom