Alternative to Saginaw pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, in interest of money, I was wondering if I could throw a Toyota pump on for the power steering.

I have one (pump) from an 80s FJ40 and a couple from Toyota mini trucks.

IS there a way to use these?

I know the pumps are not as good as the saginaw and the reman. is $55 but I have Toyota pumps.

What kind of bracket do I need?

On another Cruiser, I am putting a 2F from a FJ60. Since these had power steering, I should just be able to use a pump from fj40 from the 80s?

Thanks!

What year is the 40 in question?

Hi All:

Yes, you can certainly use the Toyota PS pump with a Saginaw PS gearbox. I don't think it is as good a "match" to the Sag 'box as a Sag PS pump, though.

You should be able to use the Toyota PS bracket that came on FJ60s.

Good luck!

Alan

I am actually doing Mini Power steering.

The Cruiser is a 76.

I probably could make a bracket to fit?

The minitruck bracket is pretty easy to adapt. All you need to do is fabricate a mount that locates a flat surface on the front drivers side of the block. then you can bolt or weld the mini truck bracket to the surface.

There isn't much difference in the output specs of the Toyota and Saginaw pumps: 1050 PSI vs 1100 respectively.

Hi,
I,ve done the type of conversion you have talked about.The easiest way is to use your stock toyota pump,and a fj40 or fj60 steering bracket.The bad news is that the early style 2f engine blocks { pre 78 }were not drilled and threaded for the bracket to bolt on.The good news is that it can be done.The block has the same flat boss on it and is thicker at that point to be drilled and tapped.I'll warn you though ,this is not easy or for the average joe to do.It takes a lot of figuring to get it done.
The gear box is not too bad .Use a Mini truck gear box and buy or make to appropriate mounting bracket.
The bracket i've used is from JT outfitters.You remove your stock gearbox mounting bracket and then install there bracket and mini truck box in it's place.
You'll want to make sure your steering shaft fits up correctly and has good clearances.Then attach the bracket to the frame.
I restore and repair the fj's at my auto repair business.I can do the conversion for you if you are interested.Thanks,Dave

Hi,
I,ve done the type of conversion you have talked about.The easiest way is to use your stock toyota pump,and a fj40 or fj60 steering bracket.The bad news is that the early style 2f engine blocks { pre 78 }were not drilled and threaded for the bracket to bolt on.The good news is that it can be done.The block has the same flat boss on it and is thicker at that point to be drilled and tapped.I'll warn you though ,this is not easy or for the average joe to do.It takes a lot of figuring to get it done.
Code:

How deep can you drill before you hit coolant??:eek:

I want to keep this simple, so I don't want to drill and tap the block..

I will try to make a simple bracket

Can I use the pulley on the mini stuff???

Thanks Pin Head.

This should also making the hose situation easier since I will have metric all around. I shouldn't have to get a custom hose. Shouldn't I be able to get a hose from NAPA or something?

Thanks for all the help

I used a high pressure hose from an 85 2wd truck. $20 at NAPA. It is about 18 inches long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom