Alternative gas pedal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Krondor

SILVER Star
Threads
When installing my gas pedal, I found out it had a lot of play. I machined a new linkage and welded up/machined the wallowed out components. The pedal still does not give me confidence with all of the 10 different components that goes into opening the throttle. It also doesn't move the full amount that I think it should.

Has anyone used an alternative pedal and cable? I looked at SOR and they offer this:
1603308446063.png

Although I am not the biggest fan of SOR mainly because of their pricing and their ridiculous shipping.

just seeing if anyone has an alternative that I should use or suggestions for my gas pedal.

i'm converting to a early 70s cable pedal on my fj45. we also converted a linkage fj55 to cable years ago and it worked well

both rigs have 2fs. hand throttle, if there, works off pedal. choke is off carb

Did you get rid of the hand throttle and run the cable up to that or is there a different way you attached the cable to the carb? I have an SD-40 carb by the way if that helps.

The 1968 D40 ran all three cables: accelerator, hand throttle and hand choke. And the retainer brackets on the air horn are interchangeable. So all that’s really necessary is to replicate the retainer brackets to do the conversion.

That said, I just weld up my old linkages when they get sloppy and call it a day. I had a brief discussion with Shane (Aatlas1) when he had a reproduction of the oblong key that attaches to the top of the pedal. I told him that he should have used a used/modified key, rather than reproducing the original because IMO the angle of the slotted hole where the pedal attaches was/is at the wrong angle, which is why it wears out so bad in the first place.

I can’t tell you the exact number of degrees I rotated it when I welded up and re-keyed the key (don’t remember) but using the actual pedal on the 45 to study the range of motion, it was obvious something else was needed.

Hth

Good to know. Thanks Mark. I ended up going with a cable type pedal from '68ish. I am keeping all of the linkage parts incase I ever want to go back. That make sense about rotating the angle of the slotted hole a few more degrees. Would have allowed for some more pedal travel too.

One of the things nobody stopped to consider, including Toyota, is that the rear motor mount cushions compress almost half an inch during the course of their life. All that compression directly effects rod linkage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom