Alternate run of the month October: Cochran Coke Ovens (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
For those of us not attending the
Mexico run, is there some interest in doing something locally?

Im thinking a day trip Sat the 18th.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Last edited:
Bueller, anyone...Bueller...Bueller?

201306131504_1371153866.6791329.gif

...on the Oct ROTM

hahahhaha

Possibilities

Ridgeline loop, sheeps bridge, ...?

Save sheeps bridge for November

Sounds good.

Curious why the club never does a fall run on top of the rim? During the late seventies and eighties I did air conditioning here valley in truck without A/C. Fall turkey was favor time of the year up north. Still close to hundred here, weather on rim was cool almost cold. Four season climate at it's best. While it's for the most is part not very challenging, scenery is pretty nice this time of year. Maybe one of the Flagstaff guys can give a report on the Hart Prairie and the inner basin? I know the aspens trees have a disease out west not sure how it's effect the area around Flagstaff. On the rim there is enough dead aspens.

Very nice scenery, never been there.

Aspens on the north side of the Peaks, Lockett meadow/Inner Basin and the north facing slopes are going off right now. I also know of a permit only run from the Sedona area to the top of the rim that is pretty good in late October. I will try to look into it, but the permit usually dictates min/max # of rigs.

We cannot do it that weekend, but could the next weekend (October 25/26).
Cherry Creek looks beautiful. I was thinking about doing that last weekend, then the skies opened up and flooded everything.

Aspens on the north side of the Peaks, Lockett meadow/Inner Basin and the north facing slopes are going off right now. I also know of a permit only run from the Sedona area to the top of the rim that is pretty good in late October. I will try to look into it, but the permit usually dictates min/max # of rigs.
Casner Mountain trail used to be both challenging and beautiful. Recent pix I have seen make it look pretty easy now, but still great scenery. Reservations for this trail used to be booked way out in advance, like 6-12 months. Good luck.

Yep, I have done it 3 times, scenery is the major draw. It was apparently used for scouting on the Slide Fire. I hope that does not mean that it was "improved" any more than it already was. But , rain can dictate trail changes as we all know.

Florence Junction ? Coke Ovens? Martinez?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom